Sign in to follow this  
notmetoo

CZ P-07/P-09 or FNX/FNS

20 members have voted

1. 1. So, if you were buying, which one do you choose?

• CZ P-07
    • CZ P-09
    • FNH FNX
    • FNH FNS

So, I am starting shopping for a new (9mm) handgun and after handling a few out there, it's come down to the CZs or the FNs.

Looking for your opinions, either way. Yup, I know one of the four is a striker. That may increase the FNS' prospects as I do not own a striker-fired gun but am a firm believer in diversity for diversity's sake.

This would be used in USPSA and IDPA, btw.

And, yes Sigs are awesome, or they suck. Glocks, the same. Walthers are fabulous. Or not. 1911s are the best thing since sex, or the worst since marriage.

Those four are not part of this purchase cycle (unless a P226 Elite pops up for about $500)   :sarcastichand:

Thanks in advance for the impending flame war.

I have owned CZ's before and truly like them (CZ85 Combat, P01). I never did warm up to their polymer guns. Some combination of their ergonomics and the trigger. Basically I did not shoot them anywhere near as well as I did their metal framed, hammer fired guns. I also owned a FNH 45USG. I am not a trigger snob by any means (hell, I usually like stock Glock triggers), but I hated the trigger on that gun. Lots of gritty creep, super heavy double action trigger pull. It was ultimately my stubby fingers that got me to sell it. The grip beat large frame Glocks for "brick-ness". 

I have heard good things about the FNS guns, but basically I chose it because it was the only one left on your list. :)

Of the 4 in the poll I own 2 - a CZ P07 9mm and a FNS in .40.  My choice if I could only have one would be the P07 but it's close.  Recognizing the CZ is hammer-fired and the FNS is striker-fired, here's my reasoning.

Controls - The FNH I have does not have a manual safety (the way I prefer it, but you can also get it with a manual safety) and has ambi controls for both slide and mag release.  The CZ has an ambi de-cocker (can be configured for a safey if you prefer) but the slide and mag release are right-hand only. (mag release can be switched but it still wouldn't be ambi).  Advantage here goes to the FNS for the ambi controls but that may not matter to you if you're right-handed and it won't be your HD/SD gun.

Frames - both are very similar.  The grip on the CZ is long/thin while the FNS is short/wide.  Both have interchangeable backstaps to help with fitment.  The trigger guard opening on the FNH is rounded and larger so would work better with gloves, while the guard on the CZ has a flat front if you prefer a grip that uses it.  Where the major difference is for me is in the grips.  The FNS stipling is very aggressive, almost to the point of being uncomfortable over long periods at the range.  

Slides - The FNH slide is taller, where the CZ has the shorter height due to the slide within the frame design.  If you have large hands you may find the CZ harder to manipulate the slide because there is less to grasp.  Not an issue for me though.  The CZ also has a larger ejection port despite being chambered for a smaller round.  Not that I've noticed ejection problems with either.

Triggers - The FNH has a shorter throw with a more pronounced reset, while the CZ has a smoother, lighter pull.  It's a toss-up to whichever you prefer.

Sights - Not a factor either way since they are easily changed, but the as-delivered CZ sights seem to fit the gun better.  Sight radius is almost identical.

When I weigh everything, my choice is the CZ because it is more comfortable in my hands.  The FNH, while I enjoy shooting it, just hurts my hands if I use it too long at the range because of the grip texture.

I vote p07 but make sure u get the version 2 model. Has replaceable backstraps, slight modifications to the overall carry size and I believe its a 15rd mag standard some had 16 rd capacities.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/jeremy-s/cz-p07-then-vs-now/
Heres a good comparison article.

I vote p07 but make sure u get the version 2 model. Has replaceable backstraps, slight modifications to the overall carry size and I believe its a 15rd mag standard some had 16 rd capacities.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/jeremy-s/cz-p07-then-vs-now/

Heres a good comparison article.

Hey the CZ P07 v2 looks pretty sweet!