JohnnyB

Two questions regarding current gun law..

1)  I will be buying a handgun in a F2F transfer with a LEO in North Jersey tomorrow. We are meeting at a Dunkin Donuts. The LEO is on duty and in his patrol car. After we finish the transaction, do I need to go straight to my residence without a PeePee stop or am I safe returning to work at my office and then straight home after work?

2) My town in South Jersey is taking about 8 business days from the time I drop off the paperwork till my P2Ps are in my hands.

My references are not being contacted and I only pay $2 per permit. No mention at all about any $18 mental health check!

Is this normal?  Is the mental check up the local PD?? Just looking for some clarification. Thanks!

Dunkin Donuts is NOT an exempted location! Tell him to meet you at the range parking lot! Then either go in the range and shoot it or take it straight home! Bullshit...YES. Reality...YES! If you don't have the P2P in hand when you meet with him to do the transaction my guess is that you won't be going home...you'll be going to the Graybar Hotel!DO NOT TAKE POSESSION WITHOUT THAT P2P!

Dunkin Donuts is NOT an exempted location! Tell him to meet you at the range parking lot! Then either go in the range and shoot it or take it straight home! Bullshit...YES. Reality...YES! If you don't have the P2P in hand when you meet wih him to do the transaction my guess is that you won't be going home...you'll be going to the Graybar Hotel!

I never heard that a F2F transaction has to take place in an exempted location.

wait... a LEO that is ON-DUTY will be selling you one of his pistols in his patrol car at dunkin donuts??  lol...

LOL because LEO and Dunkin Donuts, or LOL because it's illegal????

Can some of our resident NJ FFLs chime in here???

you can only travel with the hg from place of purchase to home. Not place of purchase to work and then home. You will then have deviated

2. Not all towns contact your references every time, if you applied recently from prior issued permits a lot will also waive the $18 mental health check, all depends how long its been since being issued previously

it just sounds like a crazy situation haha

I am driving up from far South Jersey to just across from Manhattan. His house would be another 45 minutes for me to drive.

I asked to meet someplace close to the turnpike, he mention that location, that's all!

you can only travel with the hg from place of purchase to home not place of purchase to work and then home. You will then have deviated

2. Not all towns contact your references every time, if you applied recently from prior issued permits a lot will also waive the $18 mental health check, all depends how long its been since being issued previously

ogfarmer, I trust your advice! If I go straight home from Dunkin Donuts (I know, FUNNY) Am I ok??? Do I really need to make the transaction at an exempted place? I will be going to Elizabeth, exit 13

off the turnpike. Can I meet up wit you near a turnpike exit and get one of those 54R sardine cans from you???????

Plus, I would have to meet up with you before the F2F since stopping to see you would be a deviation!

I never heard that a F2F transaction has to take place in an exempted location.

It doesn't. But if you get pulled over on the way home, what do you say to the cop..."I just bought this at a Dunkin Donuts"? In a free state you would be fine. In this state I wouldnt risk it.

Are you serious???  He's a county LEO trying to sell a .22 pistol and I have FPID, DL and P2P in hand, so I am legal. Do I need to ask to see his FPID and/or DL to be in the letter of the law?

Sorry I misinterpreted your #2 question above. I was under the impression you didn't have the permit yet.

It doesn't. But if you get pulled over on the way home, what do you say to the cop..."I just bought this at a Dunkin Donuts"? In a free state you would be fine. In this state I wouldnt risk it.

Realistically, my copy of the P2P would have the sellers address on it. I don't see a problem there as I came from the sellers house as far anyone would know.

I am not stupid enough to mention Dunkin Donuts to anyone, let alone a LEO at a car stop!

Realistically, my copy of the P2P would have the sellers address on it. I don't see a problem there as I came from the sellers house as far anyone would know.

I am not stupid enough to mention Dunkin Donuts to anyone, let alone a LEO at a car stop!

I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that you are stupid. Just looking out for your butt every way I can think that might help.

I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that you are stupid. Just looking out for your butt every way I can think that might help.

No problem, I appreciate the advise! I kinda knew I had to go straight home however, if nature called, I would stop at a rest stop. NJ can only push it so far!!!

yes they are corrosive primers

Thank you! Now tell me you are telling me the truth!!! Just kidding, most of those older sardine cans have corrosive primers, not a big deal if you clean the rifle just after shooting the ammo!

I don't give a crap how old the ammo is, I would not stand at the wrong side of the barrel while it's tested!!!

ogfarmer, I trust your advice! If I go straight home from Dunkin Donuts (I know, FUNNY) Am I ok??? Do I really need to make the transaction at an exempted place? I will be going to Elizabeth, exit 13

off the turnpike. Can I meet up wit you near a turnpike exit and get one of those 54R sardine cans from you???????

Plus, I would have to meet up with you before the F2F since stopping to see you would be a deviation!

You could on your way home meet up with OG at at range close to him (exempt location) to pick up that 440 spam can. Then your not making any deviation that's illegal. As long as OG is willing to do so. Just a thought.

You could on your way home meet up with OG at at range close to him (exempt location) to pick up that 440 spam can. Then your not making any deviation that's illegal. As long as OG is willing to do so. Just a thought.

True, I did not think of that! Og said they have corrosive primers though and I have a Mosin Nagant with a virgin barrel. I just don't want to take the chance! Not a big deal unless I get lazy after shooting one day

and forget to clean the gun. (Been there, done that several times)!

Come home from a day at the range, have a beer, then another and another, I'll clean them tomorrow. Next thing you know it's months later and "OH CRAP" look at this rifle!!!!

True, I did not think of that! Og admitted to corrosive primers though and I have a Mosin Nagant with a virgin barrel. I just don't want to take the chance!

I have some really nice rare Mosins, I have zero issues with surplus ammo. Just clean it as soon as you get home. These rifles were designed to shoot this stuff. Your going to pay minimum of $17-$25 per box of 20rds for non corrosive 54r. The only time I shoot the expensive stuff is indoors for a couple shots on a test for a new rifle. Otherwise I'm using the surplus. Birchwood Cacey gun scrubber in the spray can is your friend. I keep all my metal parts wiped down with a silicone cloth. The gun wipes clean quick. The corosive stuff wipes right off. Buying the expensive ammo defeats the purpose of buying a Mosin imo

I have some really nice rare Mosins, I have zero issues with surplus ammo. Just clean it as soon as you get home. These rifles were designed to shoot this stuff. Your going to pay minimum of $17-$25 per box of 20rds for non corrosive 54r. The only time I shoot the expensive stuff is indoors for a couple shots on a test for a new rifle. Otherwise I'm using the surplus. Birchwood Cacey gun scrubber in the spray can is your friend. I keep all my metal parts wiped down with a silicone cloth. The gun wipes clean quick. The corosive stuff wipes right off.

Cool! But read the Beer issue in my post above yours. I know my virgin Mosin will one day see corrosive ammo and I will clean it quickly. Meeting up with OG would be couple more hours out of my work day. It's bad enough that I am sneaking away for half a day for this F2F deal. Even though I am the boss, I still have a responsibility to be in my office. Instead, I am driving for 3 hours, spending money I don't have on another gun that I don't need and on top of all that, pissing off my wife who always tells me I only have 2 hands! Why do I need all of these guns! I try to tell her it's essential for SHTF! She never buys it though and I wind up giving her "almost" what I paid for the new gun to put towards the bills from my side money to shut her up!

I also like nice watches and she bitches that her Timex does the same thing as my Omega for $2,000 less! She just won't listen to REASON!!!!

Cool! But read the Beer issue in my post above yours. I know my virgin Mosin will one day see corrosive ammo and I will clean it quickly. Meeting up with OG would be couple more hours out of my work day. It's bad enough that I am sneaking away for half a day for this F2F deal. Even though I am the boss, I still have a responsibility to be in my office. Instead, I am driving for 3 hours, spending money I don't have on another gun that I don't need and on top of all that, pissing off my wife who always tells me I only have 2 hands! Why do I need all of these guns! I try to tell her it's essential for SHTF! She never buys it though and I wind up giving her "almost" what I paid for the new gun to put towards the bills from my side money to shut her up!

I also like nice watches and she bitches that her Timex does the same thing as my Omega for $2,000 less! She just won't listen to REASON!!!!

I get it lol. Sounds like we're married to the same woman, except I ware a fossil and she has a thing for Fendi, Michael Koors, and Movado at my expense hahha. I have to sneak new guns in the house when she isn't home. I'll admit I do have a gun buying problem, but it beats being a degenerate gambler or a drug addict I suppose. I still get all the bills paid every month so it's all good. I'm in a business that sometimes generates cash. I spend it on myself when I can get away with it.

BTW you should invest in a bore snake. it takes about 20 seconds to run that through your rifle, at the range when your finished shooting. It will save your barrel if you forget to do a through cleaning when u get home.

I get it lol. Sounds like we're married to the same woman, except I ware a fossil and she has a thing for Fendi, Michael Koors, and Movado at my expense hahha. I have to sneak new guns in the house when she isn't home. I'll admit I do have a gun buying problem, but it beats being a degenerate gambler or a drug addict I suppose. I still get all the bills paid every month so it's all good. I'm in a business that sometimes generates cash. I spend it on myself when I can get away with it. BTW you should invest in a bore snake. it takes about 20 seconds to run that through your rifle, at the range when your finished shooting. It will save your barrel if you forget to do a through cleaning when u get home.

I agree on the bore snake! I do have a few. I do realize that I could sneak a new gun into the house without my wife noticing. Problem is, I can't lie!!! She gets the mail before I come home and sees my P2Ps! She knows when these hit our mailbox that I have evil intentions!!! I tried to to tell her that if I don't use them and they expire, that I can't ever get another one. She did not fall for that one either!

My Brother-in-law, who also has more that two guns, always told me, "buy the guns, bring them in when she is not at home, even if she sees them, so she gets pissed and does no not speak to you for a week or so, she will forget and get over it but in the end you win since you still have your new guns and now she is talking to you!  He is right, I need to learn to lie despite my upbringing! He is also right about bringing a few new guns home and after a week of silence, you still have the guns! Life is indeed good!!!!

I also come home with a bag from a store in my hands and she will say "what did you buy me??" My answer is most often "more bullets dear". That pisses her of as well. Also when FedEx or UPS leaves a box at our door that she can't pick up she gets pissed since she knows it must be more ammo! If I was smart, which I obviously am not, I would have all this crap delivered to my business then transfer the goods into my stash after she goes to sleep!

I'm lucky my permits have to be picked up in person from my town. Nothing in the mail.

Oh that would be sweet for me! Perhaps I could request that from my local PD!  The second my wife sees an envelope for our local PD, her antennae goes up and she watches my every move!

Oh that would be sweet for me! Perhaps I could request that from my local PD! The second my wife sees an envelope for our local PD, her antennae goes up and she watches my every move!

Your township sounds very convenient lol. No $ for mental health check send you your permits. I have to pick mine up when they are open during working hours. Every time I go the lady is out to lunch. It really sucks.