Rysdad

Concealed Carry Reciprocity

The only thing it would help is that non NJ residents would be allowed to carry in NJ and not it's citizen's...which is messed up.

Assuming there is nothing else objectionable about, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Because there is no way that status would stand for long. Something would have to break. Carry in Jersey can't get any worse, waves need to be made.

I have a feeling that this law will only apply to individuals who have carry privileges in their home state. If it passes and is signed or if the inevitable veto is over-ridden, we'll have the ridiculous situation where Shaneen Allen can walk the streets of Jersey City with three concealed handguns and a loaded AK in plain view, but I still go to jail for 10 years for having a hollow-point .22lr round fall out of my pocket.

The writer also mentioned a "veto-proof majority." He must be including gun-friendly democrats because last I heard you need 60 votes to override a presidential veto.

I have a feeling that this law will only apply to individuals who have carry privileges in their home state. If it passes and is signed or if the inevitable veto is over-ridden, we'll have the ridiculous situation where Shaneen Allen can walk the streets of Jersey City with three concealed handguns and a loaded AK in plain view, but I still go to jail for 10 years for having a hollow-point .22lr round fall out of my pocket.

The writer also mentioned a "veto-proof majority." He must be including gun-friendly democrats because last I heard you need 60 votes to override a presidential veto.

They will attempt to attach this to a must pass legislation piece. He will have no choice but to sign it, the way it will be presented most likely.

They will attempt to attach this to a must pass legislation piece. He will have no choice but to sign it, the way it will be presented most likely.

Just day dreaming here. Let's say everything goes perfectly. Which NJ carry laws will apply to someone who, say, has a Utah permit? Do you think current NJ carry laws for those with unrestricted carry privileges will apply? NJ does not have a machinery in place to recognize out of state licenses.

Just day dreaming here. Let's say everything goes perfectly. Which NJ carry laws will apply to someone who, say, has a Utah permit? Do you think current NJ carry laws for those with unrestricted carry privileges will apply? NJ does not have a machinery in place to recognize out of state licenses.

Federal law can force them to install those mechanics, I believe.

Federal law can force them to install those mechanics, I believe.

I assume, if the planets align and this comes to pass, that we'll be under the same rules as the non-police non-security guard carriers. All seven of them. Oh I forgot to add Bruce Springsteen and Mr. Sweeney. Make that nine.

I assume, if the planets align and this comes to pass, that we'll be under the same rules as the non-police non-security guard carriers. All seven of them. Oh I forgot to add Bruce Springsteen and Mr. Sweeney. Make that nine.

Watch how fast my drivers license changes to a different state. I've got plenty of addresses over the river I can claim to reside at.

Watch how fast my drivers license changes to a different state. I've got plenty of addresses over the river I can claim to reside at.

Isn't that fraud? Remember we're not talking about using a fictitious address to get cool vanity license plates. If hypothetically NJ were forced to comply with national reciprocity, the legal system would come down hard on individuals who did something like that.

Isn't that fraud? Remember we're not talking about using a fictitious address to get cool vanity license plates. If hypothetically NJ were forced to comply with national reciprocity, the legal system would come down hard on individuals who did something like that.

The burden of proof would be on the state to prove where I sleep. I could easily provide my ezpass records, that show my ezpass traveling across the bridge on Rt 80 every day. Not a problem.

I believe the theory is that if everyone else is carrying in our state, it would be such an absurdity to not let NJ citizens also carry, that the state

would be forced to capitulate.  Not sure if I agree with that line of reasoning, but that's what I've heard.

As for your second paragraph, I believe 67 votes (2/3's majority) are needed to override a presidential veto, so good luck with that.

Sixty votes are needed to vote for cloture, that is, to call for a vote and avoid a filibuster.  (Did not look these up, just going by memory from civics class, so I could be wrong.)

I believe the theory is that if everyone else is carrying in our state, it would be such an absurdity to not let NJ citizens also carry, that the state

would be forced to capitulate.  Not sure if I agree with that line of reasoning, but that's what I've heard.

As for your second paragraph, I believe 67 votes (2/3's majority) are needed to override a presidential veto, so good luck with that.

Sixty votes are needed to vote for cloture, that is, to call for a vote and avoid a filibuster.  (Did not look these up, just going by memory from civics class, so I could be wrong.)

Yes I screwed up the arithmetic, was confusing it with the 60 votes to avoid a filibuster. 

We probably have 60 votes, but probably not 67. So this will have to wait until our next president takes office:

5frh2f.jpg

We had our chance when Bush was in office. But nothing happened.

I'm not sure if chances were better or not. Bush was wishy washy on this stuff. Would he have signed AWB? He said yes. Would he have signed Reciprocity? Probably, but it probably would have depended on the totality of the circumstances. People take this issue much more seriously today than they did during a lot of Bush's term and it has much more public awareness. And almost all states have carry now.

YOU MEAN bush sr, right? 'cause jr wasn't the greatest in the world for us really.....

This Bush Sr.?

Import Ban on Assault Rifles Becomes Permanent

By SUSAN F. RASKY; Special to The New York Times

Published: July 8, 1989

WASHINGTON, July 7— The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles. Imports of the weapons have been suspended since spring.

The permanent ban affects all but 7 of the 50 models included in the spring suspension. It does not affect the far larger number of virtually identical weapons manufactured domestically, nor does it affect foreign-made semiautomatic weapons already in the United States.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/08/us/import-ban-on-assault-rifles-becomes-permanent.html

NJ will just pass a law making it illegal to carry within 5 miles of any school, church, house, building,  hut, shack, lean-to, shed, pile of lumber that could become a building, anywhere someone wants to build a structure, or government building. 

More accurater