werder

Tactical First Aid Training?

Curious if anyone here has experience or suggustions with any tactical first aid classes in the area?

Considering the inherent nature of what we do I'm beliveing its prudent to prepare for those what if scenarios.

Specifically i see a DarkAngel Medical training class in VA his March? Anyone ever hear of them or attend their classes?

Thanks!

I went to a company called Tac-Med LLC in PA.  Course is geared towards first responders but the Doctors who teach the class have various levels of LEOs on staff (municipal to federal) and they are top notch and definitely the forefront of this type of training.  I took Emergency Medical Response to the Active Shooter and Basic Tactical Medicine. 

http://www.tac-med.org/

Not sure of your current medical knowledge but some type of state certification would be a pre-requisite for the courses.

I took one last year from alpha omega solutions in Plainfield. It was a good class but I haven't heard anything about them lately.

Was in same class, referred a few ppl to them.  Looks like they are still up and running but focusing on first aid/fire classes.  

http://www.alphaomegatrainingsolutions.com/upcoming-courses.html

I took a 5 day Tactical EMS class back in... '04/'05. Can't quite remember the name of the training company. Pre-requisite was being a licensed EMT (or higher) on active duty with a NJ EMS squad.  The course was designed and modeled as a direct response to 9/11 and Columbine.  It was also the first step in accreditation to being medical staff attached to a SWAT team. I vaguely recall that Hudson County (or maybe Hoboken or JC?) SWAT was actively recruiting people from the class.  I was never able to take it any further as a lowly EMT. They were only interested in ALS - paramedics and above.

wikkie2204 is the guy to talk to ... he is from alpha omega training company and he is the one who organized the classes the members are talking about. I really wish I was able to take it then , still want to.... hope he will organize more classes soon

I reached out to a former employer who does a lot of training. He offers 2 classes; a basic bleeding control which is 2 hours and covers more then just bleeding control. The other class is written by the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians and is geared toward the public, not EMS workers. This is an 8 hour class that is first aid and traumatic injury instruction. It comes with a certification and a text book. I asked about cost and he says it depends on the overhead and number of people attending.

The coarse description: "first responder" can be anyone who chooses to help.

http://www.naemt.org/education/PHTLS/TraumaFirstResponse.aspx

CPR can be added to the class of there is interest.

http://www.darkangelmedical.com/Home.html

I checked out everyone's suggestions - thanks

I just signed up for the Dark Angel class in VA in March. It's a two day coarse and comes with an IFAK. I already built my own so anyone has the option to decline and reduce the price. I noticed in this coarse you don't need to be EMT or have previous professional traning. I've seen a lot that do. I'm already CPR so I guess that a decent start but I know little about hemorrhage control other than youtube.

This class looks to be geared towards shooting incidents and first responder in a shoot incident. I hope it's worth it.

I'll do a review on it afterwards...

Sorry for the absence lately and thanks for the referrals. My FT job got in the way of my company (Promotional exams for those of you that understand the wonderful Civil Service system). Anyway, I just posted a date for the next offering of the Traumatic Injury Management course. We had several requests and being life is easing up a bit (ok, that's a lie), we can make it happen. 

If that date doesn't work, or if you need a class more North or South and have some people and a location, let me know. We'll see what we can do to make it work for you.