jackandjill

Anyone use DampRid in the safe ?

Certainly very important to control humidity levels in your safe.

In addition, a tip from my photography hobby: before bringing it into a warm environment, put it in a zip lock bag with excess air squeezed/sucked out. Any condensation should form on the bag, not the gun. Once the temperature normalizes, then take it out.

We keep welding rods in a large metal cabinet in a cold, drafty, damp corner of the shop.  Welding rods absorb humidity and need to be kept dry.

We installed a 100W light bulb in the bottom of the cabinet.  It keeps the inside of the cabinet a couple of degrees warmer than the outside air.  It's worked for 15 years or more. 

Have you tested the humidity level of your safe with a hygrometer? I'm curious of how effective it is.

Have you tested the humidity level of your safe with a hygrometer? I'm curious of how effective it is.

no but not a bad idea i have a inside weather station that tells humidity inside i should put it in their for couple hours and see what it reads..

Damprid is just calcium chloride. It is very corrosive when in solution. So if the container it is in leaks, the liquid collected at the bottom will do some serious damage to any metal it comes in contact with.

I wouldn't (and don't) use it in my safe. The plug in, rechargeable silica crystal modules are a much safer alternative.

As others have posted, any cold item (like my eye glasses)  will have moisture condense on it when brought into a warmer, more humid environment. I wouldn't interpret the condition you describe as a problem with the safe.

im using the same thing under a different brand.. I can not say to how well it works.. other than it appears to work as it should.. recharging is simple.. no complaints...

"As others have posted, any cold item (like my eye glasses)  will have moisture condense on it when brought into a warmer, more humid environment. I wouldn't interpret the condition you describe as a problem with the safe."

Exactly. A light bulb in the safe to elevate temperature is the best bet.

If you case the firearms before bringing them in let stand in case for 15-20 minutes that should work..

that will insulate it from shock of temp..

just like putting a new fish in a bag of water for 1/2 an hour before letting it loose as not to shock it..