Sell682

Whats your go to HD firearm and do you have a backup?

Thanks everyone, always interested to see how we all prepare for HD.

I have a tiered approach , alarm, a horny puggle who would hump an intruder to submission and a Remington.

If practical, I would add a holstered handgun on your hip.

You are not going to answer the door with a shotgun and the bad guys are not going to wait for you to go into the room where it's located before they break in.

If practical, I would add a holstered handgun on your hip.

You are not going to answer the door with a shotgun and the bad guys are not going to wait for you to go into the room where it's located before they break in.

Very good point. I have to start doing this more. I'm always in sweats or shorts at home though.

I don't know anybody that stops wearing a handgun when they wear shorts. Sweats are more of an issue but there are solutions. Most people wear clothes when they are not working out. Not a personal judgment.

Some people change the way they dress to carry. I think that is dumb unless you are in Mass or Conn or something. Other people might make small changes. Leaving a shirt untucked with shorts and not really caring. I will admit it is easier to do it all the time, when you run out of the house and jump in a car with a gun wherever you go - Vs. - Just changing the way you do things to carry only during the moments you are home, when you expect to behave more relaxed than out.

It's your call.

I don't know anybody that stops wearing a handgun when they wear shorts. Sweats are more of an issue but there are solutions. Most people wear clothes when they are not working out. Not a personal judgment.

Some people change the way they dress to carry. I think that is dumb unless you are in Mass or Conn or something. Other people might make small changes. Leaving a shirt untucked with shorts and not really caring. I will admit it is easier to do it all the time, when you run out of the house and jump in a car with a gun wherever you go - Vs. - Just changing the way you do things to carry only during the moments you are home, when you expect to behave more relaxed than out.

It's your call.

Plaxico Burress wore his gun with sweat pants. We all saw how that worked out for him...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PRGvhcKxBA8

In the interview above he says he was wearing jeans, and a sweat shirt. But no holster.

I ALWAYS carry at home! Glock 19 or 23 in a pancake style holster with a double mag pouch for 2 reloads. At night the ADT alarm is on instant mode to give me plenty of warning. Sometimes I will carry the 19 or 23 in a shoulder holster when around the house. If I want to go with something bigger than a 40, I will carry the H&K USP 45 full size. 

I ALWAYS carry at home! Glock 19 or 23 in a pancake style holster with a double mag pouch for 2 reloads. At night the ADT alarm is on instant mode to give me plenty of warning. Sometimes I will carry the 19 or 23 in a shoulder holster when around the house. If I want to go with something bigger than a 40, I will carry the H&K USP 45 full size.

So.... What ups the threat matrix from .40S&W to .45ACP? What makes you decide that .40 just isn't enough on certain nights?

Why not carry your BrenTen all the time?

High Exposure- just a totally random choice. sometimes I will decide to get out the H&K USP 45 instead of the G 23 or Sig 229 40. All three are good HD handguns in my opinion. My Bren Ten is securely put away in a lock box. It is the "safe queen" of my collection, with a total of 5 fully functional magazines, & a Ted Blocker shoulder holster, same as used by Crockett on M V. another 45 I have is a Taurus PT 945 that I bought almost 20 years ago, so I do like both the 40 & 45 caliber. the 945 is an aluminum alloy frame & stainless steel slide, w/ 8 shot mags. 

My glock 27 is always sitting around because it is carried every day.. Never makes it back in the safe.. But there is also normally an ar15 close as well.. Ar15 being first choice..

What ammo in the AR? And where might I find it in stock? Seems like no places online have the most popular HD AR ammo in stock.

I don't know about Vlad but I use Federal TRU T223L 64gr SP.

http://le.atk.com/downloads/catalogs/223RifleDataBook_vol-1.pdf

Avoid bonded stuff for HD.

THIS... I would trust that ammo in a HD situation..

but the reality is even regular FMJ 556 will be less likely to over penetrate and kill a soft target post interior wall..when compared to common handgun or shotgun rounds

I will to HE on this.. but in instance of hard to find purpose built HD ammo maybe you could even use soft tip varmint ammo? I mean I assume it would not go through the wall as easily? but still penetrate a threat at such close range?

Varmint ammo does not have sufficient penetration to be a good choice. Anything that is not going through a wall is a bad choice as well for the same reason.

its not about going through a wall.. it is about the likelihood to cause damage post interior wall.. I think almost ALL ammo will go through the wall..

Varmint ammo does not have sufficient penetration to be a good choice.Anything that is not going through a wall is a bad choice as well for the same reason.

Agreed.

We used to use 44gr OTM rounds (I forget the brand) then we went to a 55gr polymer tip Winchester offered for a whole before settling on the current Federal TRU. They make a 55gr TRU as well, but since most of is are running with SBRs we decided the extra mass of the 64gr was a better choice for terminal effects past 75 yards.

We have had some heated discussion about bonded v. not bonded for what we do. Both sides have aggravating and mitigating factors when it comes to the need for barrier blind ammo.

I am happy with this ammo. It has performed very well in tests I have observed an on real world jobs I have read AARs on.

Besides there are ways to get around some of the deficiencies of standard (non bonded) ammo - from certain TTPs, appropriate breaching methods, and proper weapon selection based on the target brief.