jerseyfire

9mm SD ammo

Thanks Guys. Plenty of options to digest. Anyone know what local LE carry? I've heard it can be a safe choice to use similar....

Also, can the critical duty be bought by non-leo? Just noticed the stamping on the box...

NYPD uses Gold Dot 124gr+P. I don't think there is any LE Agency that uses Critical Duty. Anyone can buy any of the mentioned.

And just an FYI, it is no more or less safe to use legally because local LE uses it. Don't believe anything you hear in the gun shops.

Just curious, I was in a shop in PA that had certain ammo with signs on the shelf that it was for sale to LEO only. Anyone know what that's about?

Only thing I can imagine in being is a courtesy to local LEO to keep ammo available to them. There is no ammo that is less legal for you to use that LEO are able to use.

Ive been using the Critical Duty in my hand guns with no feeding issues and reviews/tests seem pretty good. Also I like that they are not hollow points  eliminating the chance of being jammed up in NJ for having them.

That's actually what the LEO told me. He said, since hallow points are illegal, get those. That's what he carries for SD/HD. Not horribly priced too considering you really don't plan on going to the range with them :p

Critical Duty here also SG Ammo at one time had a good deal on 45 duty it was 50 round boxes for 22 dollars a box bought some and it was marked LE only I guess that is what they usually sell to LE as it is usually hard to find SD ammo in 50 rd boxes most are 20 or 25 rd boxes 

That's actually what the LEO told me. He said, since hallow points are illegal, get those. That's what he carries for SD/HD. Not horribly priced too considering you really don't plan on going to the range with them :p

This is why you don't take legal advice from NJ cops about NJ gun laws.

Hollow points ARE NOT ILLEGAL in NJ.

Also, that critical defense/duty ammo is unproven, unlike gold dots. There is no LEO agency in the country (that I know of) that uses it.

Or to and from the range. They are however illegal to use in your carry gun in NJ. But I'm pretty sure most of us don't have to worry about that.

I also thought to or from the range, but in looking for the statute, could not find it.

I also thought to or from the range, but in looking for the statute, could not find it.

The critical duty/defense rounds also fall under the same restrictions. Under NJ law they are also considered a hollow point or "expanding bullet". So, they are no more or less safe legally to own then the straight up, proven, hollow point ammo.