Dan

CJRPC scandal?

I have a friend primed to join CJRPC, he's psyched about joining and I'm excited to have a new range buddy.

He was doing some web searching to get more info about the club and came across this legal complaint filed by a member. Link: http://www.cjrpcblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Second-Amended-Complaint.pdf

I read through most of it, and it reads as if the plaintiff started to dig around regarding the finances of the club and allegedly uncovered unscrupulous uses of club funds by some of the board members. It then reads like a drama, where he was kicked out of the club for blowing the whistle, and a string of back and forth defamation claims.

Does anyone have any insight into whats going on? Part of me wants to believe it is just drama caused by politics and other BS, and part of me wants to really know what is up with the money trail...is there really a problem?

Apparently when rhere is 1 million in dues floating around some people will find a way to siphon some off. Apparently that has been happening. I have been a member for about 10-11 years and wondered about the general fund really never increasing. I understand expenses and upgrades made to the Club.

But a million a year adds up to some serious folding money! I give George credit for uncovering this mess.

And to think that all of this BS started because a Match Director wanted to initiate a pistol caliber carbine steel match!

It's just what we need on a public forum!  More ammo for the Anti's to have a field day with!

The thing is that I've been the president of a HOA board before and was accused of the same kind of shyte. It was all politics and personal vendettas that caused the accusations. The thing is, I produced all of the records that they asked for, and moved on because I did nothing wrong and had the proof. Sure there was animosity, and I got out of that gig asap. There's nothing like volunteering your time and energy just to be kicked in the face.

This could easily be put to bed by coughing up the financials. It could simply be bad accounting without the whole malicious siphoning thing...

And to think that all of this BS started because a Match Director wanted to initiate a pistol caliber carbine steel match!

It's just what we need on a public forum!  More ammo for the Anti's to have a field day with!

What does this have to do with gun rights? "Oh look, a gun club is being taken to court over fiscal impropriety allegations... we need to ban more guns!!!"

Apparently? You have proof?

Apparently when rhere is 1 million in dues floating around some people will find a way to siphon some off. Apparently that has been happening. I have been a member for about 10-11 years and wondered about the general fund really never increasing. I understand expenses and upgrades made to the Club.

But a million a year adds up to some serious folding money! I give George credit for uncovering this mess.

Just seeing the tax returns that have been produced. That shows the management fees taken by elected officials for a non-profit is proof enough for me. There was another very long time board member with a 3 digit member # that resigned because of improper expenses. That was directly to me from that member. He resigned 2 years ago.

Egg-zactly! Someone did not get his way, and is stirring up the pot.  Maybe projecting? much like the anti-2A people do. Hmm.

Same thing, I was accused of malfeasance by people who did NOTHING for the organization I was involved with at the time (and still don't). But people are stupid, and assume the worst, because, I dunno, maybe they need to create drama or think they are Columbo or Perry Mason. Whatever, your homeboy should still join, just don't mind the grouchy old farts and drama queens, it's a great place to go

The thing is that I've been the president of a HOA board before and was accused of the same kind of shyte. It was all politics and personal vendettas that caused the accusations. The thing is, I produced all of the records that they asked for, and moved on because I did nothing wrong and had the proof. Sure there was animosity, and I got out of that gig asap. There's nothing like volunteering your time and energy just to be kicked in the face.

This could easily be put to bed by coughing up the financials. It could simply be bad accounting without the whole malicious siphoning thing...

What does this have to do with gun rights? "Oh look, a gun club is being taken to court over fiscal impropriety allegations... we need to ban more guns!!!"

Dan, I was merely referring to the bad press and the resulting black eye for the sport in general.  Not having all of this public means the Anti's have to work harder to dig-up dirt, what ever form it may take.  I have no idea whether or not the complaint holds any water or has any basis in fact.  It's a shame this incident had to go this far.  I hope that the defendants carry Board of Director's Insurance.

I hear you Smokin.50, I agree that its not good for the sport at any level, but it wasn't in my mind something that had to be concealed to the overall public, anti's included. Especially since a google search of cjrpc brings the information up plain as day.

If this was some backroom stuff, I would think twice about posting here about it.

There are rules for how and for what people can get paid for in non-profits, as I am sure you know. . Human nature these days to assume the worst based on rumour and incomplete information. Eh, whatever, everybody gotta have a hobby.. Still will be a gigantic waste of time and money.

Just seeing the tax returns that have been produced. That shows the management fees taken by elected officials for a non-profit is proof enough for me. There was another very long time board member with a 3 digit member # that resigned because of improper expenses. That was directly to me from that member. He resigned 2 years ago.

I hear you Smokin.50, I agree that its not good for the sport at any level, but it wasn't in my mind something that had to be concealed to the overall public, anti's included. Especially since a google search of cjrpc brings the information up plain as day.

If this was some backroom stuff, I would think twice about posting here about it.

Dan, I never meant to make you feel like you did anything wrong.  On the contrary.  All I'm sayin' is I'm sorry it has to come to this (Superior Court) is all....

Take care and stay warm and well!

Dave

I just read the entire legal doc. Whether these charges have merit or not (I will withhold my opinion as I cannot back it up with evidence), the requests made of the club in number 6, A through L, (I would've pasted here if I could) are all good governance, transparency related steps that I would think anyone of good intentions would support. The appearance of impropriety can often be as bad as the occurrence of it. 

I wish I had joined earlier, I coulnt justify the cost compared to Dix. Once you swallow the first year it's not bad.

The place is definitely worth it, and on site I have never seen any of this squabbling.

I believe there is a way to spread the initial cost over a few years. 

For any club, association, nonprofits, its important to have outside entity perform accounting and squeaky clean financials. It costs extra, but never put an insider incharge of accounting. They get railroaded even if they didnt do anything wrong.

BTW, I am an officer (Deacon) for a church and we watch the handling of finances very carefully. One of the reasons we must do it is because normal lines of accountability for a for-profit corporation don't often exist.  Having annual accountant reviews for example are critical.

Also, folks think volunteers are "saints", but I have been tracking via NJ.com in the past several years numerous non-profits and serious fiscal malfeasance. The organizations range from huge money in a pet shelter (over $4M improperly handled) to $6,000 for a cub scout pack, but the organizations range from churches, scouts, baseball / sports clubs, animal rescue, etc.   Accountability is absolutely critical. The average is usually be between $50K and $100K because I think it takes that much money siphoned off before a organization begins to see the problems.

Another tell-tale sign is stagnant/unchanging leadership.  I know of an RV storage club for a retirement community that had a $1M problem hidden by the management for years until new board leadership got elected...

As part of our church's review of processes, I found an excellent organization called Compassion Point that provides accounting and management guidelines for non-profits. Anyone involved in leadership in such a group really should spend some quality time reviewing their materials.

http://www.compasspoint.org/downloads  is a very good place to start (look at internal controls checklist as a start)

There are ALWAYS enough skilled people to go around.

Err .. no. There are always enough people who want the title and don't want to do the job. This isn't really a comment on this particular issues, but I've seen LOTS of incompetent people end up on various boards and also a ton of "I should be in charge because I know better" people as well. The usually end up destroying organizations, and if you are lucky the next 10 years worth of board members manage to undo the damage.

Be careful what you wish for.

Err .. no. There are always enough people who want the title and don't want to do the job. This isn't really a comment on this particular issues, but I've seen LOTS of incompetent people end up on various boards and also a ton of "I should be in charge because I know better" people as well. The usually end up destroying organizations, and if you are lucky the next 10 years worth of board members manage to undo the damage.

Be careful what you wish for.

I get what you are saying.. but if its between few incompetent (and crooked) vs change, I will still take change, with outside supervision.  Same goes for politics in general and also large corporations. You will be surprised (may be not) how many incompetent make it to the high level, high paying jobs and make it look like its a tough job to do.

damn, this sucks!  curious to hear the TRUTH!

I'll tell you what I know to be true. The Board wastes money, that is for certain. They consistently believe they don't need expert advice, and have repeatedly gone the path of having ot essentially spend some money twice because reality told them they didn't know best and in fact they did need expert advice.

Do they do anything that isn't permissible by law? Not that I'm aware of, but the law allows a lot. The two most likely culprits for that tag would be how they went about converting the club into a non-profit (the board disagrees with my take on it form the by laws predating the conversion), and the lack of outside auditing, which they appear to be rectifying. 

On the other hand, bidding every single thing out is a good way to not have a club anymore.