voyager9

Thoughts on new clothes washer

All,

My washing machine crapped out so I'm trying to get some options for a replacement. Does anyone have experience with Samsung, Whirlpool, or Electrolux front loaders( 4.2-4.5 cu)

My wife and I were looking at the big box stores and online. It was hard to tell really what the true story is. They all had good and bad reviews online. Looking for more first hand experiences and opinions.

I have a Samsung set. Granted, it's not an expensive one, but I'm not happy with them. The washer especially seems susceptible to clogging and can't seem to handle small loads (stops during fill-up with an error code.) I've had to open the dryer a couple of times, too, because the drive belt fell off.

They're less than 5 years old.

Only if you pay me two dollars ..

Gee Johnny, I don't have a dime. See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great.

Don't get one of the top loaders with no agitator, we have a GE and it sux.  Dark color clothes have spots on them after washing.  Wash in any other washer and they are spotless.

same hear that son o bitch will not stay balanced.. 

And our maytag gas dryer 2 years old needed a new motor the lowes warranty kicked in on that one.. get the extended warranty it is cheap insurance and lowes was very easy to deal with. I put my receipts in an envolope and taped them to the sides so they would be readily available. 

all our appliances are new two days after sandy bought what they had on the floor or in stock i could take that day.

Picked up the Whirlpool front load washer and dryer about 2 years ago, they have been great so far. It's amazing how much more capacity they have over the top loader. Our first choice was the Samsung set, but a neighbor who is an appliance repairman said he has more trouble getting parts for Samsung and LG than other brands.

We spent the better part of the afternoon checking the big box stores and a small local place. I didn't like he feel of the LG. The controls and door felt cheap. Right she really likes a Whirlpool and Samsung model.

I'd prefer to go with the local appliance store. We bought a fridge from Sears and it was a lemon and a pain in the ass. They can suck it. I have little faith that the other stores are any better.

We have a Maytag front loader now. About 10 years old. Drum went and the repair guy said he thought it would be more to repair then to just get a new one. Yay.

I have front loading Kenmore Elites, which can be side by side or in my case stacked. They've been excellent, I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

we have the same set, about 10 years old.

in that time i have only had to replace a water pressure switch and the rubber boot on the washer, have not had to touch the drier.

would buy them again. 

Only if you pay me two dollars ..

Gee Johnny, I don't have a dime. See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great.

Now that's a real shame when folks be throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that.

Don't get one of the top loaders with no agitator, we have a GE and it sux. Dark color clothes have spots on them after washing. Wash in any other washer and they are spotless.

THIS^^^^^^^^

We purchased a Samsung top loader high efficiency. The kind without a conventional agitator. Was the highest rated model in Consumer Reports. No balance issues. Dependable as designed. However, the design sucks. Uses minimal water which you cannot control. Your pretty much forced to pick extra rinse to avoid spots on dark colored clothes. Thus ironically wasting, not saving, water and electricity.

Either get a front loader or a conventional old style agitator model.

Regards.

Please consider these observations.

Our washing machine crapped out about three years ago. It was an inexpensive top-loader. For years my wife was enamored with front-loading machines, especially for their energy- and water-saving features. My sister, a tree-hugging idiot supported these benefits. I fell for it. 

HUGE mistake.

Our washing machine uses hardly any water. I have watched it cycle, and wondered how it could possibly work. It doesn't.

Washing clothes is extraction. You add solvent (water) to remove dirt. According to my chemistry studies a given quantity of water is best utilized in several portions than in one portion. Front-loaders do this, but the quantities of water they inject into the bin are minuscule.

They don't clean.

All my underwear are grey-green. Our clothes smell when they come out of the washer. I have to wash my button-down shirts by hand every 3-4 months because the ring around the collar never comes out. My wife won't admit the real reason but she's been forced to buy scented detergent, which we previously had never used.

With a top loader you can't keep the door open and soak really dirty soily stuff before cycling. Their "hot" is actually warm, "warm" is cool, and cold is freezing. 

Don't listen to anybody about front loaders. They're a scam. Top loaaders are far less expensive and have larger capacity. True, they'll consume an extra 400 gallons of water per year and maybe $20 worth of electricity, but they actually clean your clothes. 

I have a Samsung front load touchscreen washer for a year now. Love it. Way better balance than the previous LG it replaced.

Wait for Presidents Day sale if possible. It will save you hundreds $$$ or buy from a place that will honor sale price for 30 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are those two things perhaps related? Thanks for the feedback.. Something to consider.

Duhh maybe.

Take my word for it. If you do three soaks the more water you use in each the more dirt you'll remove. Simple physics/chemistry. Don't get sucked into the madness.