voyager9

Thoughts on new clothes washer

I've had an LG WM 2077 front loader for 7 years now and love it. Works great automatically adjusts for load size. It's not available any more but I'm sure there is something comparable. 

Don't listen to anybody about front loaders. They're a scam. Top loaaders are far less expensive and have larger capacity. True, they'll consume an extra 400 gallons of water per year and maybe $20 worth of electricity, but they actually clean your clothes. 

Don't listen to anybody? Does that include everyone here that likes theirs or does it include yourself as well?

You may have just bought crappy ones. My front loaders do NONE of the things you complain about, clean great, never stink, I can adjust the water temperature all the way to scolding for a sanitary cycle when needed, etc.

You may consider that maybe you bought a bad example of the breed, all AR's do not suck because you have a bushmaster that does, if you get my drift.

As far as stores to buy from, I've had positive experiences from Karl's Appliances, if there's one near you. A salesman once rubbed me the wrong way, I sent an e-mail to their website to complain. The CEO called me personally to apologize and assure he'd take care of me. They will also price match competitor sale prices.

We just had our 20 year old Sears dryer repaired, came with the house and we've been here for 7 years.

We were talking about washers. He said stick with the old school top loading agitator types. He was telling me of the types of problems they develope and tend to be throw aways when they go. We have a LG front loader now that works fine for now, But I think I'll go back to the top agitator when this blows up.

They get the job done and are easier and cheaper to fix when they break.

I do not like the front loader that we have. No presoaking. Can't add anything once it starts. Minimum time is 39 minutes. Clothes always drop on floor when transferring them to dryer. Water lies in front rim and starts smelling. Capacity is less.

Name that movie:

Young Lady: That Ricky! He puts his testicles all over me!

Young Man: Excuse me!?

Young Lady: You know, like octopus.

Young Man: "TENTACLES" Big differrence.

Better off dead. It's a classic.

"Hey sorry I blew up your mom Ricky "

Gee Johnny, I don't have a dime. See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great.

"I didn't ask for a dime, I asked for $2!"

Well I'll add my 2 cents.  I owned a laundromat for a dozen years, so I actually know a little about washers and dryers.  First the issue of low water use and not cleaning is a false flag.  Yes clothing needs to get wet, but just barely.  It is the physical rubbing that cleans the clothing.  Also the soap mostly acts to prevent the dirt from redepositing on the clothing.  Less soap and less water clean better than more soap and more water.  Too much water and / or too much soap reduces the physical contact and gives a lesser quality wash.  That said, the non-industrial front load washers do take longer to clean than old school top load washers, but.  The but is that these machines spin out so much water that the time in the dryer is much much shorter than you typically had with top load machines.  The bottom line is that the time it takes to wash and dry in total is about the same as it was 30 years ago, but the time is now mostly spent in the washer while it used to be spent in the dryer.

About four years ago I opted to replace my 25 year old Maytag top load washer and Sears front load electric dryer.  I swore 20 years ago I would replace the dryer as soon as it broke, but the darn thing would never break.  But gas is so much cheaper to dry with.  I went with a pair of fairly high end LG units.  They have worked perfectly and do a great job. 

I would highly suggest anyone to buy only from PC Richard.  While most don't know it, they are a family owned private business.  The significant part of this is you can negotiate price with them.  I buy all my big ticket appliance type stuff there.  I go in with a real low ball internet price that they will tell you that they won't meet.  But stand strong and be prepared to walk out.  If you are good at negotiating you will get the best possible price there.

My wife does all the laundry and is quite the stickler when it comes to doing it. We have had no problems in 5-6 years so far with the Bosch.

Please do me a favor and ask her if long sleeve shirts (button downs not so much sweaters) come our in Eagle Scout knots. I want to know if it's just my machine.

Different people have different standards as to what the word "clean" signifies. For me it's white clothes that are white and not gray; bath towels that do not smell like I just dried the cat with them.

It's a physical fact that the more water you use, other things being equal, the more dirt you extract from clothes. This is not even open to debate. It's in every chemistry text on extraction. I know a freaking thing or two about this subject, as I have done at least 2500 extractions in my life.

3 wash cycles of 2 gallons will lose every day of the year to 3 cycles at 8 gallons. 

This reminds me of the debate, settled by Galileo, about which falls faster, a feather or a cannon ball. "But a feather disturbs the albedo much less, and the earth loves it."

Clothes do not need merely to be damp or wet to clean properly. Were that the case my ultra cheap Italian grandmother would have used two quarts of water instead of an entire sink full to wash her clothes. Some old lady would have figured that out 150 years ago. It's not rocket science.

Front loaders are sold solely on their "green" characteristics. As with a lot of other issues very smart people, like posters in these forums, get sucked in.

Why would you want a washer where you can't soak really dirty stuff all day before running the machine? Why would you prefer a machine that doesn't allow you to open it to put in additional clothes? Or with 2/3 the capacity of a top loader?

I do not merely have a lemon front-loader, I have a very good one, a very expensive one, whose output I turn into itty bitty rags that I subsequently use to clean guns. 

If a front-loading design were really superior the human race would have figured it out 60 years ago. This is not rocket science as they say.

Sorry but the above might have been true when washing down at the stream with rocks and wash boards, but in today's high tech machines that has changed.  That is part of the reason the newer machines take longer to wash, but they get clothing just as clean if not cleaner if used correctly.  BTW high speed extract front load machines were not created until recently because DC- Inverter drives did not exist until about 10-15 years ago.  Oh, and front load washers existed mostly in Europe as you could justify the higher cost for the machines due to higher energy and water costs.  I remember as a kid my parents had a Philco unit that worked as both a front load washer and gas dryer.  You ran it as a washer and then once done operated it as a gas dryer.

If a front-loading design were really superior the human race would have figured it out 60 years ago. This is not rocket science as they say.

Dude that makes no sense. If the F22 jet was so great we would have made it in the 50's. If 4k television was better we would have invented that too in the 50's.

Seriously, in my household we wash both clothes covered in horse poop and mud, as well as things un-neutered feral cats actually peed on and in both cases our washer does a great job.  I'm not asking how much you payed for your washer, because something can suck regardless how much it costs.

BTW washing something completely foul, might actually require cleaning the washer. Turns out they have a cycle for that.   At the end of the day, I probably won't change your mind, but it would be best if you don't assume your personal experience is the only one possible. I don't think I somehow got a magical washer that no one else has.

Dude that makes no sense. If the F22 jet was so great we would have made it in the 50's. If 4k television was better we would have invented that too in the 50's.

Seriously, in my household we wash both clothes covered in horse poop and mud, as well as things un-neutered feral cats actually peed on and in both cases our washer does a great job.  I'm not asking how much you payed for your washer, because something can suck regardless how much it costs.

BTW washing something completely foul, might actually require cleaning the washer. Turns out they have a cycle for that.   At the end of the day, I probably won't change your mind, but it would be best if you don't assume your personal experience is the only one possible. I don't think I somehow got a magical washer that no one else has.

The F-22 is, pal, rocket science by definition. Yikes.

We don't need advanced materials, engineering discoveries, and computer-aided design to clean clothes. 

Like I said people have a different idea of clean. Our standards get lower and lower on everything. Why not washing machines?

Buy any goddamned washer you like. Save the planet! Save $2 in water and $20 in electricity per year! You can stop global warming yourself! The Earth and all the tree-huggers will thank you.

But don't complain to me when you get ring-around-the-scrotum. There's no cure dude.

You ran it as a washer and then once done operated it as a gas dryer.

And baked all those nice dirt residues back into the machine, which the clothes removed while drying. Dirt on crap on wet clothes, then baked. Yummm. 

But I know that those old fashioned front-loaders actually used water. I used to frequent laundromats. There was water in those machines. Stuff sloshed around. Today my clothes tumble around barely moistened with what looks like the urinary stream of a large mouse, and from the post-washing aroma smell just as bad. 

Don't get suckered. Get a man's machine. Get a top-loader.

I think you need to not get suckered into these new fangled mechanical contraptions, you need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Maid-Rite-Washboard-12-7-23-3-Overall/dp/B0000CBILJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423526472&sr=8-1&keywords=wash+board

Ultra reliable, uses little water, and NEVER break down and they'll get your clothes as clean as you want them to be.

I think you need to not get suckered into these new fangled mechanical contraptions, you need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Maid-Rite-Washboard-12-7-23-3-Overall/dp/B0000CBILJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423526472&sr=8-1&keywords=wash+board

Ultra reliable, uses little water, and NEVER break down and they'll get your clothes as clean as you want them to be.

You can't buy my abs on Amazon.

And baked all those nice dirt residues back into the machine, which the clothes removed while drying. Dirt on crap on wet clothes, then baked. Yummm. 

But I know that those old fashioned front-loaders actually used water. I used to frequent laundromats. There was water in those machines. Stuff sloshed around. Today my clothes tumble around barely moistened with what looks like the urinary stream of a large mouse, and from the post-washing aroma smell just as bad. 

Don't get suckered. Get a man's machine. Get a top-loader.

Dude you are making less sense each time your write, perhaps its time to stop.  How does the dirt get baked on any differently if you take the wet clothing and put them in a separate dryer than if you just put heat on the when they are done washing in the same machine.  The answer is.......there is no difference.

Yes old fashioned front loaders used more water, but they changed the design.  Most new ones have the drums tilted with the front higher than the back.  Thus, you see very little water through the glass, but they work very well.  When Maytag introduced their first machine for commercial use they actually took away the glass so customers would not see in and bitch.  Its only when you look that you think there is a problem - what you don't see does not hurt you.  As long as the clothing comes out clean, which it does, there is no need to see the magic that is going on.

I'm probably gona get flamed for this, but I find it more cost effective to have a service do the laundry than to do it myself.  For ~60/month I have all my laundry cleaned and folded.  It's always perfectly clean, they hang anything that needs to be and fold everything else, by category.  When I back out the cost of detergent and softener, plus the cost of my time it's a huge win.  I have a washer and dryer at home but why be bothered with that shit if someone else will do it on the cheap? 

I'm probably gona get flamed for this, but I find it more cost effective to have a service do the laundry than to do it myself.  For ~60/month I have all my laundry cleaned and folded.  It's always perfectly clean, they hang anything that needs to be and fold everything else, by category.  When I back out the cost of detergent and softener, plus the cost of my time it's a huge win.  I have a washer and dryer at home but why be bothered with that shit if someone else will do it on the cheap? 

Well I'll tell you I have to question the economics, but it is a great service.  I offered that, including pickup and delivery, for years when I owned my laundry.  I always marketed it as a service for people that had more dollars than they had time :)  I have to question the $60 a month though, you either don't get much clothing washed or found a place that is significantly undercharging for the service.  I know three or four years ago I was charging $1.75 a pound with a 10 pound minimum order size.

I offered that, including pickup and delivery, for years when I owned my laundry.  I have to question the $60 a month though, you either don't get much clothing washed or found a place that is significantly undercharging for the service.  I know three or four years ago I was charging $1.75 a pound with a 10 pound minimum order size.

My place doesn't have pickup/delivery but it is on my way to work so I don't find it inconvenient..  It's $1.05/lb.  It would start to make less sense at $1.75/lb.

My place doesn't have pickup/delivery but it is on my way to work so I don't find it inconvenient..  It's $1.05/lb.  It would start to make less sense at $1.75/lb.

Yea I agree.  I was located in a high cost area, also had more WDF business than I could handle so priced it high as it made more sense to have a high margin than more volume.

Dude you are making less sense each time your write, perhaps its time to stop.  How does the dirt get baked on any differently if you take the wet clothing and put them in a separate dryer than if you just put heat on the when they are done washing in the same machine.  The answer is.......there is no difference.

Yes old fashioned front loaders used more water, but they changed the design.  Most new ones have the drums tilted with the front higher than the back.  Thus, you see very little water through the glass, but they work very well.  When Maytag introduced their first machine for commercial use they actually took away the glass so customers would not see in and bitch.  Its only when you look that you think there is a problem - what you don't see does not hurt you.  As long as the clothing comes out clean, which it does, there is no need to see the magic that is going on.

True on your first point, false on your second.

My front-loader doesn't have a very obvious tilt. Even if it did, if you can barely see the water and not see any discernable water level it's using very little water. The only reason customers would bitch is if they saw very little water and their clothes were not getting cleaned. Otherwise why would they care? When we first got our machine I thought it was cool that it used so little water. I got sucked into the energy saving B.S. Now that my undershirts are 51 shades of gray, and my everyday shirts permanently ringed, I no longer drink the Kool-Aid.

Very similar B.S. as with those horrible compact fluorescent bulbs.

Be a man, not a tree-hugging wimp. Get a top loader.