jm1827

Cabin/Vacation home in PA

We are thiking about purchasing a small vacation home, preferably ~ $150K or less in PA.  Initially we were thinking about the Poconos, specifically in the Big Bass Lake area, only because we have been there on several occasions and it seems to have what we are looking for.

But, after speaking to a few friends who had houses in the Poconos, I think we may reconsider and look for another area.  All of our friends who had houses in the Poconos have since sold and relocated to other areas due to an increase in crime and even gangs.

We have 3 children, ranging in age from 10 to 15 and would prefer something at least accessible to water and or activities for the kids, and also within 3 hours (if possible) from Monmouth county.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear it.

I have family in Centre Hall - out near State College. I have been looking in that direction for a cabin and land myself. There are some decent deals in that direction, when you get closer to State College the prices skyrocket.

we have had in dingmans ferry since '85, its in a gated community.  nice community, both neighbors live there full time.  there is crime everywhere you go, even in our community.   get an alarm/cameras.   we just have the house to rest & also throw crazy parties on occasion ( i have 3 brothers).  

Had a house there before building my current house. When I lived there for 4 months while building I saw things I never knew about when there on the weekend.

Would never go back.

Thanks bry@n, appreciate the info.

What if like minded people here pool together and buy together / next to each other.. neighbor problems (atleast when it comes to firearm activity) solved.  I will join in for a decent deal.. for me, decent price, ability to shoot, keep chicken (and goats may be), and bees :-) .

I wouldn't be opposed to this but I think it would be very difficult to pull off...

we have had in dingmans ferry since '85, its in a gated community.  nice community, both neighbors live there full time.  there is crime everywhere you go, even in our community.   get an alarm/cameras.   we just have the house to rest & also throw crazy parties on occasion ( i have 3 brothers).  

I know the Dingman's Ferry area, I will take a look.

I have family in Centre Hall - out near State College. I have been looking in that direction for a cabin and land myself. There are some decent deals in that direction, when you get closer to State College the prices skyrocket.

How far is that from the Jersey boarder, I am thinking 3 hours or so?

State college is a bit away.

Most of PA on this side seems hit or miss. Depends on location. My parents live in a really nice area but the hood isn't far.

I'm interested in buying land for the express purpose of shooting but there isn't anything cheap enough that isn't crazy far out. I could afford a bunch of acres in upstate New York but that is out of the question for obvious reasons.

I used to live in Hemlock Farms. I have 3 boys. There is crime and gangs everywhere, but I never knew how bad it was there. I loved the community and the area, used to drive to NYC everyday for work cause I wanted the kids to have a better life. Drugs were just the norm... I coached baseball and hockey and saw these kids all the time, he parents had no idea. Sad but I moved back here. If it was me and the wife I would still be there, or somewhere close. Again anywhere is going to have issues, but that was a big wake-up. 

Another +1 for Bucks County, especially along the Delaware River is really nice, though I think prices can start shooting up along with property sizes shrinking. I worked with some people who lived there full time, and trained into NYC. Prices could be similar to Flemington in NJ for instance, though at least its in friendly territory.

I spent lots of time up at Big Bass Lake in my younger days, a close friend's family had a house there. This is going back ~20 years ago. It was great, though I remember in the latter years the area started having problems. It was the first and only time I had a gun pulled on me because some wannabe gangster thought I said something about his trashy car he was driving (I was just hollering to my friend in the parking lot of a fast food joint). Not fun.

The challenge with PA is finding a place where the price is right and area is nice, many times the price is right because the area has some "challenges" with crime and other issues.

How far is that from the Jersey boarder, I am thinking 3 hours or so?

My daughter goes to Penn State and I live in Morris.  It's 214 miles 3 hours for me door-to-door.  You probably want to stay an hour east of that.  The prices out by the school are really high.

The Poconos has really gotten bad.

my folks retired to lake heritage community.. 200+ acre lake,  about 1000 homes and a good mix of full time families, retirees and vacationers.. 5 mins outside gettysburg and takes me about 3:15 from Monmouth County. They are just a few mins from MD and WV borders and a lot of stuff to do in the area.. I'm always fishing kayaking swimming and all sorts of outdoor stuff when im there. They never have any issues. Is extremely safe.

Very affordable (compared to here!). only down side is you cant shoot on the property as the standard lot is about 1/4 acre.. but i imagine there are plenty of places nearby

Rich

my folks retired to lake heritage community.. 200+ acre lake,  about 1000 homes and a good mix of full time families, retirees and vacationers.. 5 mins outside gettysburg and takes me about 3:15 from Monmouth County. They are just a few mins from MD and WV borders and a lot of stuff to do in the area.. I'm always fishing kayaking swimming and all sorts of outdoor stuff when im there. They never have any issues. Is extremely safe.

Very affordable (compared to here!). only down side is you cant shoot on the property as the standard lot is about 1/4 acre.. but i imagine there are plenty of places nearby

Rich

Thanks, Rich.  I will check it out

I live in Bucks County as well.  Great area.  Plus we could use some more pro 2A people to cancel out the influx of Blue voters.

When I bought my house last year, I called the town up and asked if there were any no discharge laws in town. 

Their answer?  "What's that?"

PERFECT!  I shoot off my deck all the time.  I do have a fair amount of land, and very few neighbors, however.

I live in Bucks County as well.  Great area.  Plus we could use some more pro 2A people to cancel out the influx of Blue voters.

When I bought my house last year, I called the town up and asked if there were any no discharge laws in town. 

Their answer?  "What's that?"

PERFECT!  I shoot off my deck all the time.  I do have a fair amount of land, and very few neighbors, however.

millsan1-  any areas you could recommend?

Anywhere in the northern part of the county.  I live in Riegelsville/Durham.  Lots of open land and houses out here.  Taxes are very good.

Once you get south of central Bucks, you are basically in Philly.

I would say anything north of New Hope is the area to look.

Once you get off the river and north of new hope, prices literally range from $150K to multiple millions, but plenty of very nice houses on good acreage for $3-500K