PD2K

Your Thoughts: H&K VP9 vs Walther PPQ

Was chatting with a buddy of mine at the range, who owns both pistols, and prefers the Walther PPQ just slightly over H&K VP9. Never shooting the H&K VP9, I was surprised by his observation due to H&K's rep. But his view was just that: people love VP9 over PPQ due to the "hype" and "rep" of H&K. Full disclosure: he is a H&K fan and loves his VP9.

Question to those who shot both: forget brand name, which do you prefer and why?

The trigger pull is lighter and the reset crisper on the Walther. The Walther has excellent fully ambi controls. If you are a lefty, that slide release on the VP9 has a really small shelf and is difficult to manipulate IMO. As a lefty, I much prefer the controls on the PPQ, or if you really want an HK, the HK P30. That said, the VP9's trigger is closer to what most folks come to expect in a polymer gun, albeit on the very good end of the spectrum. 

I ended up doubling a Walther PPQ a few times when I took one out. It was because it is so much smoother and lighter than my Glock. If I were keeping the PPQ as my one-and-only, I would be OK with this and just train that way. But I am not getting rid of my Glock (cheap, available parts and mags, and easy to work on), so no Walther for me. If I had disposable income, the Walther and the VP9 would be in my collection. 

I have both the VP9 and PPQ M1 9mm. I have about 1000 rounds on the VP9, 300 on the PPQ. I prefer the VP9 mainly for ergonomic reasons. I rarely shoot the PPQ these days.

VP9 pros

- Greater ability to customize grip given the removable side plates. This is important to me because I have absurdly short fingers, but medium palms. This allows me to configure a really short reach to the trigger for my strong hand, but fill out the grip for a more comfortable hold for my support hand. If you have "standard" hands, this might not mean anything to you.

- I find the mag release for the VP9 to be more ergonomic and easier to manipulate compared to the PPQ. I use my trigger finger for the VP9, but for the PPQ, I find it requires more effort to activate the lever, and I need to use my middle finger to get more leverage.

- Less "flippy" for me compared to the PPQ

PPQ

- Slightly better trigger. Although my experience is similar to Lunker in that it's almost too good. Really short reset and flippiness has led to unintentional double-taps. Again, this is something that training can address, but why bother when I have a bunch of other guns that I don't need to "train" for.

- If carrying is being considered, smaller frame is an advantage to the VP9.

I've got the PPQ M2 and have shot the VP9. They're both GREAT pistols. That being said, I like the Walther better and wouldn't trade it for a VP9. Two reasons... Slightly better ergonomics (for me anyway) and a smoother, crisper trigger. The VP9 is very good in both aspects but the PPQ is better for me.

So what drives the flaw in a double? Trying too hard to focus on the reset? Too light a grip and recoil?

I honestly can't figure how this happens. But i guess I'm a slow methodical shooter ?

It is the super short reset. I think the Walther requires a bit more of a death grip than other striker guns. Holding it a little more loosely allows the recoil to move the gun backward in your hand just a bit, reset the trigger, then activate the trigger when it bounces back on slide return to battery. 

I've shot two VP9's and both had "gritty" triggers, wasn't a fan, but shoots well. Ergos are great tho, felt real nice to hold. The PPQ, for me, seemed to want to "jump" up in my hand. After some reading, PPQ's have a higher bore axis so may not be suitable for smaller hands, bigger hands shouldn't be an issue.

I've got the PPQ M2 and have shot the VP9. They're both GREAT pistols. That being said, I like the Walther better and wouldn't trade it for a VP9. Two reasons... Slightly better ergonomics (for me anyway) and a smoother, crisper trigger. The VP9 is very good in both aspects but the PPQ is better for me.

You wouldn't be at all biased would you? Lol

I need to try a vp9 to compare but I do love the way my M1 fits my hand and has an excellent trigger right out of the gate.

I've shot two VP9's and both had "gritty" triggers, wasn't a fan, but shoots well. Ergos are great tho, felt real nice to hold. The PPQ, for me, seemed to want to "jump" up in my hand. After some reading, PPQ's have a higher bore axis so may not be suitable for smaller hands, bigger hands shouldn't be an issue.

Sounds to me they weren't cleaned or lubed correctly or haven't passed their break in period. Mine is as smooth as silk. No grittiness in mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you know what they say about small hands LOL!

I have the VP9 and the PPQ in .40 S&W. I am what would be considered an HK Fanboy. Let's put it this way. I can't give an honest answer. Both are superb shooting. If I had to be a stickler, the fit and finish of the HK is a bit better. If one were to shake the PPQ, the slide is a bit more looser?, if that's even a good descriptor. My 2 cents.

Has anyone decided whether or not a tight fitting gun actually improves reliability. I have a colt 1911 that rattles in your hand but is accurate as hell and runs like a raped ape.

My Kimber Warrior SOC is tight as a fly's ass and shoots better than my circa late 70's Colt Govt. If that helps. Tighter tolerances and all ya know. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with Joe...the last vp9 I handled and was able to dry fire seemed exactly as Joe stated "gritty". the same day [same place] I was handling a ppq to see if there was a big enough difference between them to justify spending more on the hk. the trigger on the ppq felt smoother and had a crisper break and reset. not as spongy as the vp9. But a sense of spongyness is sometimes typical from polymer striker fired pistols

All in all...I couldn't make up my mind, didnt purchase either and chose to let the permit expire. I would still like a vp9, and would deal with upgrading the trigger over muzzle flip any day... but I will never get rid of my glocks.

I am a first time female gun purchaser. I have been shooting at the public range various handguns with out much success UNTIL I shot the HK VP9. I absolutely love it. Fits well in my hand, recoil was manageable, the trigger crisp. I do not have the experience or knowledge to really comment, but after several attempts with handguns, this is by far the one I am purchasing (next week)

I am a first time female gun purchaser. I have been shooting at the public range various handguns with out much success UNTIL I shot the HK VP9. I absolutely love it. Fits well in my hand, recoil was manageable, the trigger crisp. I do not have the experience or knowledge to really comment, but after several attempts with handguns, this is by far the one I am purchasing (next week)

Have you tried the ppq? Just out of curiosity.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Congrats on your upcoming purchase! Are you getting the standard or LE model?

Only difference is night sights and an extra mag.  If you are planning on having a light attached or along with the gun in home defense, night sights are not necessary IMO.  (the sights are luminescent..  charge them with a flashlight for 15 seconds, the glow like crazy for 15 minutes.  That said, cant go wrong with either one.  Its just a matter of is the night sights and extra mag is worth an extra 75-100... 

The night sights and extra mag are worth it monetarily considering magz average about 50 bux, Night sights about 150 installed. That's an average of about 200 worth of stuff to spend an extra 100. Electronics and flash lights fail. Night sights would be a help. Especially with old eyes.

The night sights and extra mag are worth it monetarily considering magz average about 50 bux, Night sights about 150 installed. That's an average of about 200 worth of stuff to spend an extra 100. Electronics and flash lights fail. Night sights would be a help. Especially with old eyes.

Night sights only help when you charge them up? If so that's not a real help.

The regular VP9 has the Superluminova night sughts, which require charging. The police edition has tritium night sights, which don't.

I am definitely undecided on that. Certainly I have old eyes, and certainly the most important time to use it at night, I likely won't be stopping to charge it, so not sure it really matters. Someone recommended having a laser mounted as a deterrent in self defense, any thoughts?

The ones on the regular vp, but the LE has tritium that stay lit all the time for 12 years. One of mine are going on 15 and still glowing bright.

I am definitely undecided on that. Certainly I have old eyes, and certainly the most important time to use it at night, I likely won't be stopping to charge it, so not sure it really matters. Someone recommended having a laser mounted as a deterrent in self defense, any thoughts?

Never as a deterrent. Useless for that.

The regular VP9 has the Superluminova night sughts, which require charging. The police edition has tritium night sights, which don't.

The ones on the regular vp, but the LE has tritium that stay lit all the time for 12 years. One of mine are going on 15 and still glowing bright.

Got ya! Thanks, both of you.