ARNut

Guns Shops Reviews - Good and Bad

I had a bad experience purchasing a pistol at the Bullethole. The owner spent almost 40 minutes searching for the case and magazines to the pistol before taking another pistol out and changing the serial number on my permit. I didn't get an apology for wasting my time, and it was more expensive than I was quoted.

To be fair most of the employees there are great. The store is unorganized though, and a poor job is done keeping track of how many people are waiting to shoot. A bunch of people had to be issued refunds for range time the night I had purchased my pistol because they weren't keeping track of how many people were waiting an hour and a half before closing.

I purchase from Mastodon Ammo & Camo, TJ Sporting Arms, and I'd buy from Steve at Monmouth Arms. :)

I will put it out there....

I am not really fond of this type of topic......

If it gets out of hand..... I will shut it down.....

With that being said.....

I wont step foot in Silver Bullet in Rockaway......  

I've never tried them even though they're very close to where I work. I wanted to check them out but probably won't bother now.

I had a bad experience purchasing a pistol at the Bullethole. The owner spent almost 40 minutes searching for the case and magazines to the pistol before taking another pistol out and changing the serial number on my permit. I didn't get an apology for wasting my time, and it was more expensive than I was quoted.

To be fair most of the employees there are great. The store is unorganized though, and a poor job is done keeping track of how many people are waiting to shoot. A bunch of people had to be issued refunds for range time the night I had purchased my pistol because they weren't keeping track of how many people were waiting an hour and a half before closing.

I purchase from Mastodon Ammo & Camo, TJ Sporting Arms, and I'd buy from Steve at Monmouth Arms. :)

lol..  that reminds me of Kip over at bullethole telling everyone in the shop that all AK variants are illegal..  i wonder if he still works there

I bought a few handguns from bullethole and I've had lots of great experiences there. 

I've never tried them even though they're very close to where I work. I wanted to check them out but probably won't bother now.

It's an....interesting place. You should check it out. not a friendly place however.

A review of Lou's Gun Shop in Raritan I posted from 2013... I haven't gone back since...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/57428-lous-firearms-customer-review/?p=735561

A business can change a lot in 2 years... so I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from going, I just don't think I'll ever go back.

All this said...

I work for Verizon Wireless. When I'm in one store, I hear how horrible the treatment is in a store less then 5 miles down the road. When I'm in that store that's 5 miles down the road, I hear how horrible the treatment is in the other store. Remember, bad news travels fast and not much of the good experiences get shared as they should. 

And oddly all these folks are in business as if somehow they had customers. Probably because they do. In my experience every gun shop has its flaws, sometimes big ones, but also are still in the business of selling guns and stuff and do try to make customers happy. Granted, some are aimed at the dumber customer, some are aimed at the more savvy customer, but so far no shop I've seen is 100% horrible, and no shop I've seen is 100% awesome. Every place will have its fans and detractors and that's ok. Some people won't eat at McD some will eat nothing but.

The only reason for me to step foot into Ottomanelli's is to chuckle at the pricing.

Along with the high prices, I had a small item on special order. This was just after Sandy so gas was crazy. I got the call that it was in and when I got there was informed that they sold it out from under me.

When I bought my M&P, I was at GFH trying it out. We stopped into the big "O's" for a chuckle. They had the same model M&P for $150 more than I paid out the door.

I'm just not a fan.

C

What's more of a shame is how many shops have closed their doors (for many reasons) in the past 20 years.  Once upon a time, every other hamlet had a gun shop.

Actually I think we have a lot more now then we had 15 years ago when I bought my first gun.

As and example from data here: http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/listing-FFLs

In 2010 we had 300-ish FFLs in NJ, we now have just shy of 400.