ARNut

Guns Shops Reviews - Good and Bad

I can't blame you. I would expect the sale price, too. MOF, this has happened to me before, though not with guns, and if I didn't get the sale price then I walked from the sale, never to return to that store again.

I would have felt the same, but sometimes these shops buy from different vendors, different suppliers, etc. and the outlay on the first one might have been different.   However, if I was in the store, I would have made it right... discount a box of ammo, etc.

• Like 1

Where in marlton was this store?

Nick! You've got me walking down memory lane!

Stratton's was way cool when they moved to Marlton, but I think that move overextended and eventually put them out of business. I got a really nice Dan Wesson Pistol Pack from them.

I would have felt the same, but sometimes these shops by from different vendors, different suppliers, etc. and the outlay on the first one might have been different.   However, if I was in the store, I would have made it right... discount a box of ammo, etc.

I'm a reasonable man. If they offered some type of way to assuage my displeasure about not getting the sale price then I would pro'lly be OK with it. I know they're out to make money. That's what businesses are for, but you need customers. Make an honest effort and I think most customers would be OK with that.

I was unaware there was more than one. Orig was on 46 here in Wayne. Bought many guns there. Then they closed and moved to PA. Then I understand, they shut down because the father died or something like that. That's all I can recall. They had a great store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was a chain, they had stores in NJ, NY (including LI), and PA as far as I know. I bought my first gun from the Wayne store. I fondly remember going there and looking at the HK 91's and 93's, FAL's, Norinco AK's, preban Colt AR15's, SPAS 12's......wishing I had more money.........

Did you ever see the movie "Survivors"? Robin Williams and the others in the movie go into an Edlemans to buy guns. IIRC there are also scenes filmed on route 80 in NJ  as they are heading out of NYC to their upstate safe haven.

I wont buy a gun for the Bullet Hole bc of my 1st experience as a newbie, but will shoot there & buy ammo. Never an issue using the range except when I had a $5K + budget and wanted to buy pistols & a rifle.  Was told a Glock & a SIG were the same guns.   I knew better, but they fed me sum BS.  Also, walked into RTSP recently and had a great experience, even tho I didnt buy anything.  No pressure, no attitude!  I will return in the future. Since the beginning, Tony @ TJs has been my primary supplier, even tho I drive 90 minutes to see him (worth it too).  He is one of the BEST in the business! 

As a new shooter Anthony @ GFH & Tony @ TJ's are top notch!  Its a combo thats tought to beat!  

Route 70, the strip mall across from Cherry Valley Tractor, just east of the (then) 70/73 Circle.

I must have crossed paths with you at some point. I lived in Medford back in the 70's-80's. I use to ride down the road with my hunting gear and a 12ga in the handlebars of my 10 speed, the cops would never even give me a second look. Went to the Outdoor Trader "across the street from Spotts". Then Horners ,eventually became Mikes on Dixontown and Stokes. Went to Edelmans remember they had a Military weapons section you could get a brand new Springfield M1A all GI parts for $600. Or an H&K 91 or 94 for the same price. Strattons in Audubon and later Marlton, by the way Hank Peters the guy who ran both stores lives in Moorestown and still has an ffl does gunsmithing out of his house now. Back then everyone hunted and fished. My things have changed in this state I miss all those Great gun stores.

I must have crossed paths with you at some point. I lived in Medford back in the 70's-80's. I use to ride down the road with my hunting gear and a 12ga in the handlebars of my 10 speed, the cops would never even give me a second look. Went to the Outdoor Trader "across the street from Spotts". Then Horners ,eventually became Mikes on Dixontown and Stokes. Went to Edelmans remember they had a Military weapons section you could get a brand new Springfield M1A all GI parts for $600. Or an H&K 91 or 94 for the same price. Strattons in Audubon and later Marlton, by the way Hank Peters the guy who ran both stores lives in Moorestown and still has an ffl does gunsmithing out of his house now. Back then everyone hunted and fished. My things have changed in this state I miss all those Great gun stores.

Very possibly.  I moved to Medford in 1986.  Oldsters talked about walking down the street, heading to the fields with their shotguns, and the cops telling them to "go get 'em, boys!" as they passed.  Sad, its not like that now.........

I grew up in Medford Lakes, I used to go to the Outdoor Trader for minnows almost everyday. Bought a few rifles and my first pistol from Horner's. (it was a used police revolver from the Medford PD) I also bought a few guns from Edelmans in Pennsauken. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.....

I once did a handgun transfer through Mike's Sporting Goods on Rt 38 in Hainesport. This was a year or 2 ago when the NICS were running 3 to 4 weeks behind. I went in to pay the transfer fee and inspect the handgun, and was met with a seemingly impatient store clerk (I'm assuming the owner) who gave no greeting and would only give me one word answers to my questions. So I filled out the paperwork and started to inspect the handgun, and I mentioned something about how I wanted to get that type of handgun because it's what I used at the academy and what I carry for work, and suddenly his whole demeanor changed. He became chatty and pleasant to talk to. Now, I had purchased the handgun used and it came with 2 magazines. I asked him while I was there if he had received them both and he confirmed that he did. Fast forward 3ish weeks, I'm going in to (finally) pick up the handgun as my NICS had (finally) cleared that morning. I was greeted by the same clerk who was there before, with the same stand-offish attitude he had displayed the previous time. I ignored it and proceeded with the ID check and all that. When everything was done, he handed me the handgun and a magazine in a box. I asked where the other magazine that it came with was. Looking annoyed, he insisted it only came with one magazine. I told him when I was there 3 weeks prior, he said he had received the extra mag. He disagreed, insisting he never said that and never received the extra mag. I ended up having to show him the email from the Buds to convince him I should be getting another magazine with it. He ended up going to the safe, rummaged around for a few minutes, and came back with my missing mag and put it in my box. I thanked him and left. When I got home, I was inspecting the weapon further and realized the magazine he had grabbed out of the safe and put in my box wasn't the right magazine. It wasn't even the correct caliber (marked .40 CAL on the side, I bought a 9mm). With the unwelcoming attitude I received and now this, I decided to cut my losses and just never go there again.

My mother-in-law still goes there and she loves the place. Insists he must've been in a bad mood both times or something. He very well may have been. But the fact that he keeps overcharging her for common firearms (and yes, I tell her every time he does) is more than enough reason to keep me from thinking about returning to browse his stock.

I once did a handgun transfer through Mike's Sporting Goods on Rt 38 in Hainesport. This was a year or 2 ago when the NICS were running 3 to 4 weeks behind. I went in to pay the transfer fee and inspect the handgun, and was met with a seemingly impatient store clerk (I'm assuming the owner) who gave no greeting and would only give me one word answers to my questions. So I filled out the paperwork and started to inspect the handgun, and I mentioned something about how I wanted to get that type of handgun because it's what I used at the academy and what I carry for work, and suddenly his whole demeanor changed. He became chatty and pleasant to talk to. Now, I had purchased the handgun used and it came with 2 magazines. I asked him while I was there if he had received them both and he confirmed that he did. Fast forward 3ish weeks, I'm going in to (finally) pick up the handgun as my NICS had (finally) cleared that morning. I was greeted by the same clerk who was there before, with the same stand-offish attitude he had displayed the previous time. I ignored it and proceeded with the ID check and all that. When everything was done, he handed me the handgun and a magazine in a box. I asked where the other magazine that it came with was. Looking annoyed, he insisted it only came with one magazine. I told him when I was there 3 weeks prior, he said he had received the extra mag. He disagreed, insisting he never said that and never received the extra mag. I ended up having to show him the email from the Buds to convince him I should be getting another magazine with it. He ended up going to the safe, rummaged around for a few minutes, and came back with my missing mag and put it in my box. I thanked him and left. When I got home, I was inspecting the weapon further and realized the magazine he had grabbed out of the safe and put in my box wasn't the right magazine. It wasn't even the correct caliber (marked .40 CAL on the side, I bought a 9mm). With the unwelcoming attitude I received and now this, I decided to cut my losses and just never go there again.

My mother-in-law still goes there and she loves the place. Insists he must've been in a bad mood both times or something. He very well may have been. But the fact that he keeps overcharging her for common firearms (and yes, I tell her every time he does) is more than enough reason to keep me from thinking about returning to browse his stock.

I would avoid that place, never had a good experience . Back in the 80's I brought in a Rem 7600 to have him mount and bore sight a scope. He told me it would be $30 when I picked it up he handed me a bill for $100. I can't remember exactly how things transpired but he said he had a hard time and had to shim the base,which he did but $70 more than he told me. He also told me ffl transfers were 10% of the gun I would be getting. Needless to say I would not be getting him to do any work in the future. Buy the way in a week or 2 there is a new gun store opening in the strip store in Lumberton accross from Miller ford on 38. I here he is a good guy and will be doing gunsithing and selling guns.

I would avoid that place, never had a good experience . Back in the 80's I brought in a Rem 7600 to have him mount and bore sight a scope. He told me it would be $30 when I picked it up he handed me a bill for $100. I can't remember exactly how things transpired but he said he had a hard time and had to shim the base,which he did but $70 more than he told me. He also told me ffl transfers were 10% of the gun I would be getting. Needless to say I would not be getting him to do any work in the future. Buy the way in a week or 2 there is a new gun store opening in the strip store in Lumberton accross from Miller ford on 38. I here he is a good guy and will be doing gunsithing and selling guns.

Yea, if I remember correctly, his price for transfers is $35 or 10% of the purchase price on the weapon, whichever is more. My handgun was only $350, but I can see if you are buying a nice $2K WWI Colt 1911 or something, you'd have a transfer fee of $200. That's insane.

I'll have to check this new place out when it opens.

if you guys get down to Salem County stop in at County Sports in Carney's Point.

Owner has a great little business, very small (so small he limits the number of people in the shop at the same time).

But rarely have I had to wait to get in, surprising nice inventory, and if he doesn't have it, just ask, he will find it for you.

Prices can't be beat.

When you first go there, the owner is (understandably) a bit cautious of opening up, talking, etc.

I've been stopping in for a couple years now, he's loosened up, talks IDPA, CMP, 2A - and like I said,

If I'm looking for something specific I tell him, and he has always gotten back to me with it.

I also like Banger's in Winslow, Butches in Vineland, Freedom Ammo in Mantua, I shy away from Hauge's in West Depford,

But I gotta admit, never went there based in reputation alone.

I'll 2nd county sports. Daryl is a good guy. If there is something I can't get I go to him. I also do work for him. He donates to the local 2a fundraisers. It's true about if he doesn't know yA but he is a good guy.

And yeah screw hagues

No Firearm Retail License has been issued as of Feb 1st.

I don't know the name but my friend who works for the twp. of Lumberton told me about him getting approved a few months ago, but I don't know the name. I drove through the parking lot last week and he has a sign in the window that says "Opening soon Gun store" he was in there setting up some shelves. You should see if he wants your old display cases if you still have them.

I live less then a mile from the new store opening on route 38. I've called the number a few times to see if he needed window vinyl and talk shop but he hasn't answered. I did see them working in there the other night so hopefully he opens up soon.

Pistol Pete in shamong nj. Great experience with him I've purchased numerous fire arms from him. Great guy and will locate whatever you're looking for.

Cheyanne mountain outfitters. Been in there a few times and each time I was met with very knowledgable people who took plenty of time with us. I even told a salesman up front we weren't buying one time and he still spent 45 minutes with the mrs showing her different hand guns.

And yeah screw hagues

I exclusively used Hagues for 3 years, and I liked it while i was there. When I first started going, membership was $300. I liked the staff, was allowed to practice drawing and firing (something they won't let me do at R14), and it was fairly close to my house. Prices on guns and ammo were high, but I rarely bought their guns or ammo, just used their range. What made me stop using them was the day I went to renew my membership and was told it was going to be $450. I told them it should be $350, as LEOs get $100 off their membership. He told me that was including the $100 off, membership had gone up $50 for the 3rd year in a row to $550. I'll pay that and more for CJRP w/ a 24 hr indoor range.... not for something open 5 hours a day from like 1pm to 6pm. 

The person that got me into going to Hagues actually stopped going before I did, because something along the lines of, they needed HVAC work and my buddy's dad (an HVAC tech) basically bartered him fixing their HVAC issue as payment for a portion of this special 1911 he had been eyeing. Said he would pay for the remaining balance in cash once the job was finished, and the owner agreed. Well, something happened, and they sold the 1911 out from under him even though they had this agreement, then cut him a check for like $600 even though he did $900 worth of HVAC work. Neither him nor my buddy step foot in there anymore, and they would regularly buy guns and spend a couple hundred bucks a month on range stuff and ammo there.

Howell Gunworks:  I've only been in the store twice. Saturday will be the third time, but Howell Gun Works was a good experience.  First time in there I mentioned it had been many years since I was active in shooting or hunting.  I had some questions and despite being very busy, Omri answered my questions.  I ended up ordering my bolt action that day.  He was taking good care of everyone in the store despite being solo due to a family emergency.   I was a bit paranoid about sounding ignorant and maybe to a point I did in fact sound ignorant, but Omri was friendly, informative and wasn't at all put off by my noobish questions.  It was a good experience for me.

I was back in a week later and the other owner Tom was also there, plus the rest of the staff/familiy.  I asked a few more questions while waiting for the NICS to go through Both Omri and Tom were very helpful and a pleasure to talk to.  Looked at few more guns.  Ordered another long gun and picked up some other stuff I needed.  I think the prices are good.  Their 5.56 ammo in 20 round boxes was cheaper per round than Dicks or cabellas "bulk" prices.  Despite being a small shop, they have what looks to me like a good inventory. And if it's not there, there's a pretty good chance they can order what you want if you know what you want.

They're a new shop, so I'm sure they know and remember what its like to be on the other side of the counter.  And it shows.  

(maybe an admin can start a thread called something like "Good Gun Shops" and move some of the positive posts from here to there?)

I love going to Caso's. Lisa is the nicest person behind a counter I ever met. I just wish they would sell used guns too.

Had good experiences at Meltzer's as well, though I don't feel obligated to buy something if I think it's overpriced. That said, I think I got a few good deals there.

Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey is the only experience that I did not like. I bought 2 guns from them, here's the story.

1- I saw a used Beretta 92 Centurion. They did not know what it was, but fine, no big deal. Since it was a used 20yr old gun I asked to inspect the slide and locking block before buying. The salesman outright refused and cited story policy on not pulling guns apart (even used guns). Pulling the slide off a 92 is he simplest task, so it spoke more about his general knowledge than anything. I really wanted the gun so I called the manager the next day to say how disappointed I was. He was quietly understanding of the situation and let me inspect the gun, and even agreed to knock $25 off when I pressed it. All in, my faith was restored I was happy with the deal.

2- That same time, I decided to also buy a new Beretta Bobcat in 22lr. It was the floor model, but I paid in full and had them put it in the safe while I waited for my permits. I picked up the 92 above, then the Bobcat a month later. When I came to get the Bobcat, they pulled out an empty case from the safe. I looked down and saw the gun I had paid for was BACK IN THE CASE! Lord knows how many people dry fired my poor 22 over those 3 months while I was waiting for my permits and OGAM until I could pick it up.

Not them worst stories, but just a little "buyer beware" reminder.

On the other hand, the great customer service I received today (and witnessed other customers receiving) from Tony, the owner of The Gun Rack in Vineland (Cumberland County, where the sales tax is only 3.5%) is to be highly commended.

I know he's not a NJGF vendor, but I want to give him a big +1 for being a gentleman and a scholar, and not a "gunshop arsehole" as described in other posts in this thread.

I'll certainly look to do business with him again in the future.

Anyone have the new store name?

By the way guys the new store name is Centaur firearms. Owners name is Eric and he's an awesome guy! Has a bunch of old military weapons and is a master gun smith. He was the armor on base for a long time and was the smith at ready aim fire for some time. I just put his sign up today and he'll be open in about a week. I'll be giving him a hand setting up and getting adjusted to social media as well as maybe working some nights there.

Bullseye Tactical on main street in Woodbridge is by far the worst shop I have been in. The owner is a complete A-hole. Because they're local, I went in on 3 separate occasions, even though I got a bad vibe on the 1st visit. I even went back with a friend who was determined to spend money there because they were close by and had an item he wanted in stock. He ended up leaving with his money still in his pocket.

I steered him to Garden State Armory instead. They didn't have what he wanted but were friendly and professional and ordered the item for him. Great group of guys there. They always greet you by name after your first visit.

I also buy a lot from The Heritage Guild of Rahway. Their prices are a bit on the high side but I'm willing to pay a little extra for the convenience.

They are a forum sponsor and your experience seems contrary to positive feedback that has been left for them. Your post sets forth your conclusion but gives us no facts upon which to evaluate your conclusion. It might help if you told us what happened.

They are a forum sponsor and your experience seems contrary to positive feedback that has been left for them. Your post sets forth your conclusion but gives us no facts upon which to evaluate your conclusion. It might help if you told us what happened.

Well, I assume it was the owner that I was dealing with since it was the same guy every time I went in. I found him to be somewhat rude, dismissive, and generally unhelpful. The first time I went in was simply to check the place out and look around. I didn't really engage him but he certainly didn't seem interested in talking to me. (Every one has a bad day, not knowing him I didn't hold it against him). The second time I had a permit and cash in my pocket and was looking for a CZ75. I asked him if he had one, he said "No" and simply walked away, no further discussion. I went back once more looking for something and he was more interested in talking a friend who was hanging out then dealing with me as a customer.

I went back one more time because a friend was looking for a specific muzzle brake for his AR build and their web sight showed it to be in stock. I was curious to tag along and see how his experience was. They didn't have the part in stock. He said they expected it to come in some time that week. My buddy wanted to give him his phone number so he could be called when it was in and the salesman (owner?) refused. He said he wouldn't remember to call and suggested my friend call the shop every few days to see if it was in.

We left, drove 30 minutes to Garden State Armory and ordered the brake. Two days later Art(?) called and told him it was in and would be there waiting for him when he was able to pick it up.

Bullseye is 5 minutes from my home and would be my go to store if I wasn't so turned off by multiple experiences.

Also, I'm not a "window shopper". I shoot twice a week on average and I've purchased 11 guns in the last 22 months. I typically have a pretty good idea of what I want when I walk into a shop. If the salesman spends a little time with me they're pretty much always going to make a sale. I don't expect someone to kiss my ass but when I'm dropping $600-$1200 on a single item I do expect a certain degree of attention paid to me. I would prefer to drive further and pay more money for a gun then to do business there.

Luckily we quite a few FFL dealers that ARE attentive to customers AND have better pricing.

From my past experience, I would recommend the following:

Mastadon - Great people

Tom @ Oakridge Firearms - Nothing but good things to say about Tom

Steve @ Monmouth (Bad timing/Missed a few sales, but Steve is spot on with dealing with customers)

Caso's (although pricey & impossible to find parking - stellar service)

Bullethole (I've always had great experiences there - I know some have not)

RTSP

Meltzer's

I'm probably missing out on a few, but that's my list of go-to shops.

• Like 1

In a nutshell... The owner doesn't a rat's ass about walk-in customers. Been there a few times with cash and permits in-hand and he could care less. If you aren't a LEO or a woman he won't even say hi to you in my 4 visits. (maybe he just doesn't like Asian people?)

It's super close to my house and it's a shame. Would've Been nice to have a functional FFL close to home.

Who knows... Maybe the guy actually cares now? I'll never go back, though.