ARNut

Guns Shops Reviews - Good and Bad

I worked at Edelman's in Wayne when I was in HS.

Bought most of my guns there. Loved that place. Shame they are no more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bought most of my guns there. Loved that place. Shame they are no more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah but at least you have Kimber now.

• Like 1

Steve at Monmouth Arms is great. Very personable and honest. Small shop with chairs and a couch; you'll meet some characters every time you're there. Low transfer fees and he posts inventory and prices on website which appear reasonable. He'll fire NICS up in the morning for you so you're clear when he opens up shop.

One time Fedex failed to deliver a long gun to him so his wife went all the way to Fedex, talking hour round trip, on last minute notice and I didn't even ask. This was for a transfer mind you.

If you want the kind of FFL you build a relationship with, he's your guy. Just an old school businessman.

• Like 2

Full disclosure- I work at P&K Firearms in Manahawkin. I am answering this strictly as a customer.

Bad- My 1 and only experience at Ottomanelli's I was outright accused of orchestrating a straw purchase by a guy named Mike. I think he is the owner's son. Myself and 1 other were checking out a pistol and maybe 2 people looking at a gun together is suspicious or he was having a bad day but he went so far as to not handle the transaction. His father (I think, just from what I gathered) came and settled things. So good on the shop overall, but bad on his part and I'm never going back.

I've found customer service at Tip's / Shooters to be 50/50 depending on who you get. Sometimes they want to see a pistol permit to touch a handgun, sometimes not. When I was younger (18-25) and it was Tip's, Tom Gormley used to treat me like I was invisible and I know it was because I look young for my age. I mean literally invisible. I stopped going in before Shooter's opened and haven't bought anything from them.

Silver Bullet in Rockaway is all the bad things everyone says it is. As a matter of fact I purposely go in there to touch the bullet links he has up above the gun cases and lean on them because he hates it so much. My very first experience at his shop was before he moved location (his old place is a liquor store now) and I walked in with an E German SKS which I got in a synthetic stock, looking for a wood stock. The entire conversation was him trying to tell me there was no such thing as a German SKS. All right... I've never spent a dollar in there and I never will, but I will probably continue to bother him.

I called R&R in Somer's Point and the grouch who answered the phone actually said "What do you want?". "Um, sorry, wrong number." Never again.

Good (other than where I work ;) )

I've always found Shore Shot to be a pleasant place and Ed there is a great, friendly guy.

Harry's / Cheyenne is exactly middle of the road average to me.

Never had a problem at Zeus's in Atlantic City, that became my honey hole after I quit Tip's.

The discussion at Ottomanelli's seems one sided and I would have let it go but you mentioned your purposely go in and irritate the guy at Silver Bullet, and yes I am well aware of the situation there but I find myself to be mature enough to just not go rather than make a scene.  Any chance you and your friend said or did something to lead the counter guy to believe you weren't going to do a legitimate transaction?

I try to never give a one-sided view of circumstances unless the other party is available to give their rebuttal.  

Now that this old thread has been revived, I'll chime in with my new go-to gunshop in So Jersey:

Freedom Ammo on Rt 45 in Mantua (Gloucester County) across from the driving range

Glenn, the owner, is the retired Chief in Woodbury Heights

He has a decent inventory of both new and used and is tops in customer service and reasonable pricing

He also mentioned this week about having a Black Friday sale on Aero stripped lowers for those who hate paying freight and transfer fees to bring them in from out of state

• Like 1

Now that this old thread has been revived, I'll chime in with my new go-to gunshop in So Jersey:

Freedom Ammo on Rt 45 in Mantua (Gloucester County) across from the driving range

No web site and closed on Sundays and Mondays :(

Soooo glad this thread came back to life.

Made the unfortunate mistake of going to Cheyenne Mountain in Bordentown today. The only positive thing I can say about them is they have a decent selection. However...every firearm in the place is grossly over priced and the guys behind the counter are rude and condescending. Had a conversation with one of the guys that went like this....

Me: Do you have X rifle?

D-bag: No.

Me: Do you carry that brand at all?

D-bag: No, but I can get it on special order.

Me: How much would it be?

D-bag: The same price it would be if I had it in stock.

Me: Well how much is that?

D-bag: I don't know. I don't have a price list for them.

Me: Can you look it up?

D-bag: No, I don't have the price list.

Me: Well than how could I special order it if you can't give me a price?

*crickets*

Me: Thanks, you've been so helpful.

D-bag: I have brand Y in that rifle type, it's twice as much, top of the line, you interested?

*crickets*

I hung around in the store for a bit to see if I was getting special treatment, or they treated everyone like that. They seemed to be somewhat more pleasant with silver haired customers, but everyone else was talked down to.

Soooo glad this thread came back to life.

Made the unfortunate mistake of going to Cheyenne Mountain in Bordentown today. The only positive thing I can say about them is they have a decent selection. However...every firearm in the place is grossly over priced and the guys behind the counter are rude and condescending. Had a conversation with one of the guys that went like this....

Me: Do you have X rifle?

D-bag: No.

Me: Do you carry that brand at all?

D-bag: No, but I can get it on special order.

Me: How much would it be?

D-bag: The same price it would be if I had it in stock.

Me: Well how much is that?

D-bag: I don't know. I don't have a price list for them.

Me: Can you look it up?

D-bag: No, I don't have the price list.

Me: Well than how could I special order it if you can't give me a price?

*crickets*

Me: Thanks, you've been so helpful.

D-bag: I have brand Y in that rifle type, it's twice as much, top of the line, you interested?

*crickets*

I hung around in the store for a bit to see if I was getting special treatment, or they treated everyone like that. They seemed to be somewhat more pleasant with silver haired customers, but everyone else was talked down to.

Monday might not have been the best time to go shopping. Kinda like shopping for a car. Just my opinion as I've bought from them and never been disappointed. Maybe I have hit the right time or known the right contacts there...

Glenn, the owner, is the retired Chief in Woodbury Heights

He has a decent inventory of both new and used and is tops in customer service and reasonable pricing

He also mentioned this week about having a Black Friday sale on Aero stripped lowers for those who hate paying freight and transfer fees to bring them in from out of state

Brian,

I remember Glenn from back when I was in the Woodbury PD! A great guy then and a great guy now! Glenn is a patriot. I have been in his shop many times. His inventory is constantly growing

and 10% off for facing our flag and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance! We need to support his shop!

Thanks for the tip on the Aeros, I will be sure to pick one up!

Who said anything about Monday night? And you're assuming a lot here, Mr. 38 posts.

Don't get smarmy. I was reading it on my phone...I read might as night.

I'm assuming a lot based on what? Because after reading all the reviews that were one extreme or the other I wasn't surprised that you had a completely different experience?

So it's cool talk down to people here based on post count? Didn't realize this was that kind of place. Thanks for enlightening me, Mr Cornerstone

Cheyenne can be hit or miss, they used to have some good people working there, Omar was one and there was another gentleman who was a retired Edison police officer, they were both excellent to work with, very knowledgeable, friendly and always pleasant. I don't think either of them work there any more.

There is another aszhat who works there who is about as smooth as sandpaper, never friendly and really doesn't know much about anything.  When I go i avoid him like the plague.

As for prices, unless they have something on sale their prices are on the high side, that is why I prefer vendors that I have made contact with through this site.

Would never set foot in FSS in Whippany again. Bought a defective rifle from them and the owner screwed me around and didn't keep promises he made on a replacement. 

Otoh - Tom at Oak Ridge Firearms is excellent to deal with.

I have positive things to say about Legacy Arms. Ron is very friendly and helpful and prices are good. I have been to Garden State Armory once and I did enough my experience there. Very friendly and had a nice selection. An added bonus is that they are in the next town over from me.

Would never set foot in FSS in Whippany again. Bought a defective rifle from them and the owner screwed me around and didn't keep promises he made on a replacement. 

Otoh - Tom at Oak Ridge Firearms is excellent to deal with.

If you bought it new then wouldn't it be on warranty from the manufacturer ? Not defending FSS but if its a manufacturer's defect then why is the retailer at fault ?

I buy alot of firearms online. The few instances I had issue with them I never went back to the seller since they are long distance from me. I would contact the manufacturer and they would take care of my problem. Never even crossed my mind to contact the seller about this.

most forum vendors here are awesome

ty @ midwestpx (thanks again for shipping fast as hell lol - already arriving tomorrow!)

tom @ oakridge firearms

steve @ monmouth arms

paul @ estrella ordnance

have yet to buy from george @ plumstead but I only hear good things

JT @ JTcustomguns - I knew I forgot someone..

Still forgetting a few...

buy with confidence

most forum vendors here are awesome

ty @ midwestpx (thanks again for shipping fast as hell lol - already arriving tomorrow!)

tom @ oakridge firearms

steve @ monmouth arms

paul @ estrella ordnance

have yet to buy from george @ plumstead but I only hear good things

I think I'm forgetting a few...

buy with confidence

Spot on- and I have bought from George at Plumstead and I affirm the good things, I have also bought from Steve at Monmouth arms and can vouch for him as well.

If you bought it new then wouldn't it be on warranty from the manufacturer ? Not defending FSS but if its a manufacturer's defect then why is the retailer at fault ?

I buy alot of firearms online. The few instances I had issue with them I never went back to the seller since they are long distance from me. I would contact the manufacturer and they would take care of my problem. Never even crossed my mind to contact the seller about this.

Owner said if the manufacturer repairs it it's mine (which I totally agree with), but if they chose to replace it with a new one, I would get a full refund towards something else. It was replaced, but then I was told I would get wholesale for it, and the rest of my credit when it sold. My cc company sided with me that this was total BS.

Not that i'm aware of...

I don't think anyone would need that info.

The state of NJ gets that info though. Each NICS check is tied to a state dealer number which in turn is tied to a daily transaction number. Whether they do anything with this information is ubknown. I don't see it published.

The approval number that comes back to the FFL is date and transaction number sensitive.  Like a Julian date and next sale order number combination that gets written onto the 4473.  I'm sure there are some type of stats available, but not to us!.  

• Like 1