gunner21

Which shops are gouging on ammo prices.

I think one of the biggest culprits of this was CTD (Cheaper Than Dirt).  During the massive shortage, if they ever had any 22, it was going for up to the price you mentioned.  I had tried to place 2 orders from them for 9mm around that time that showed "in stock" when i made the purchase, only to have my order cancelled 2 days later as "out of stock in warehouse".  Couple that with some of the outrageous prices they were charging, I would never place another order with them and have not. 

Im sure there are plenty of others who gouged during 2013, and others will post..   But CTD is the #1 offender IMO

I know everyone whines about this, and I won't make friends saying it, but that is actually a good thing. Prices rising in shortages is a natural market reaction to hoarding. If suddenly everyone wants to up their stock from 1000rd to 10000rd what you end up with empty shelves. Jacking up the prices means that the dude that has 100rd can actually FIND 1000rd to buy at any price, when the dude with 9000rd on the shelf says he won't pay the crazy prices.

If the price is too high for you then don't buy it, you don't have a natural right to low prices.

If the price is too high for you then don't buy it, you don't have a natural right to low prices.

this part i agree with..  and that exactly what i did.. 

that said, they dont have to more than quadruple the price..  they can set buying limits, such as retailers like Cabelas & Natchez do/did..  its a different way to keep buying in check..  but hey, to each their own. 

Buying limits can really be worked around if you get creative. Lots of people got creative during the recent unpleasantness.

I think if you want someone to be mad at, it is everyone who decided that they need to stock up a cabinet full of ammo just in case the government came by and confiscated some ... and left some behind? yeah I don't get it either.

Buying limits can really be worked around if you get creative. Lots of people got creative during the recent unpleasantness.

I think if you want someone to be mad at, it is everyone who decided that they need to stock up a cabinet full of ammo just in case the government came by and confiscated some ... and left some behind? yeah I don't get it either.

Damn right I stocked up but not from fear of gov confiscation, they'd never find it all anyway :onthequiet: Was when NJ was trying to pass the law banning online sales of ammo, that was a realistic threat and  just a logical reaction for NJ specific folk. And a retailer I now wont buy from anymore for big time gouging is Lucky Gunner. Pompous prix even set up a sister co(forget who) during the panic just to help hawk ammo

You guys do understand that these businesses have overhead, right? Salaries,rent,electric bill, health insurance, etc. They pay these regardless if they are having a great year or a horrible one. How do they pay these bills next month when they can't get their hands on any more ammo?

When supply is lowand demand is high, the market clearing price goes up. The retailer is just one part of the equation. The manufacturers did not increase supply. The public went on a buying frenzy. Pointing the finger solely at the retailer is somewhat dishonest.

Do you guys remember what .22lr was selling for on Armslist and Gunbroker from the hoarders? Yeah, people bought it. Why should CTD sell it cheap so that others can turn around and triple the price? Especially when they don't even know when they will be able to get more.

I don't buy from CTD because they suck in many other ways. I do not hold their prices against them as some kind of personal vendetta. They choose their market strategy and I choose my buying strategy. If I so desperately needdd .22lr that $90 a brick was acceptable I would have been damn glad that I could get it. At $20 a brick it would not have still been there.

Don't like the prices? Don't buy. That's what I did. Mostly...

I think one of the biggest culprits of this was CTD (Cheaper Than Dirt).  During the massive shortage, if they ever had any 22, it was going for up to the price you mentioned.  I had tried to place 2 orders from them for 9mm around that time that showed "in stock" when i made the purchase, only to have my order cancelled 2 days later as "out of stock in warehouse".  Couple that with some of the outrageous prices they were charging, I would never place another order with them and have not. 

Im sure there are plenty of others who gouged during 2013, and others will post..   But CTD is the #1 offender IMO

I can live with a vendor having high prices, as others have stated I just won't buy from them.  What CTD did was advertise at one price, which was usually high already but at the time there was nothing available, then when you successfully placed an order they would cancel it and offer the item at an even higher price.

And this wasn't a one off "mistake" it was their common practice!

I haven't bought ammo locally for years due to the high prices. Do they even know the internet exists?

I usually stop in any of the local sporting goods stores in my area when I am out and about just to see what they have.  Occasionally they do have good prices, usually a sale or something they just got in.  I find Tanners in PA consistently has the best prices on what I need, which is .38, .357, .243, .223/5.56, .45 etc.

If they have something for a decent price I get some if not I pass. 

I buy lots of stuff locally.  Actually, nowdays I buy all the ammo locally, sort of. I reload so I don't count as buying ammo, but the ammo I do buy, mostly shotgun or .22 I buy locally because it is isn't worth shipping most of the time as its price to weight ratio makes it weired.  I rather buy my shotgun ammo locally and wait for sales, then try to have it shipped so I can save $5 on the ammo and pay $20 on the shipping. 

You guys do understand that these businesses have overhead, right? Salaries,rent,electric bill, health insurance, etc. They pay these regardless if they are having a great year or a horrible one. How do they pay these bills next month when they can't get their hands on any more ammo?

When supply is lowand demand is high, the market clearing price goes up. The retailer is just one part of the equation. The manufacturers did not increase supply. The public went on a buying frenzy. Pointing the finger solely at the retailer is somewhat dishonest.

Do you guys remember what .22lr was selling for on Armslist and Gunbroker from the hoarders? Yeah, people bought it. Why should CTD sell it cheap so that others can turn around and triple the price? Especially when they don't even know when they will be able to get more.

I don't buy from CTD because they suck in many other ways. I do not hold their prices against them as some kind of personal vendetta. They choose their market strategy and I choose my buying strategy. If I so desperately needdd .22lr that $90 a brick was acceptable I would have been damn glad that I could get it. At $20 a brick it would not have still been there.

Don't like the prices? Don't buy. That's what I did. Mostly...

I understand some markup but when the chains can continue to sell at a somewhat normal price (about 20.00 per brick) I can't believe the wholsalers are selling it to them(when they can get it) for a s huge a markup as the selling price reflects.  Tho9se shops are no better than the scalpers that buy at 20 and sell on line for 90.  They are out to make a killing on the shooters misfortune.

So this is my first time back on NJGF since November, been busy with school and work and stuff.

Is the ammo shortage and price gouging still going on? I've been too broke to buy ammo, what with $1800/semester school payments lol.

I'm surprised that the panic buying hasn't stopped. Granted, I suppose that in a normal market, companies produce a specific caliber for a while, and then after building up a large amount of inventory, retool and switch to another caliber. Stock sold to distributors is likely stuff that has been warehoused, and sold off while other calibers are being produced until the warehoused stock gets low. If they have to rapidly switch between calibers because stuff is flying off the shelves, it may increase expenditures in time and money for retooling and stuff.

I'm just shocked that the situation hasn't improved in my four month hiatus. I remember thinking back in July that the panic buying would probably end soon, and that companies would be able to fill up their warehouses by October or November, and that by January we'd see a return to normal market conditions. I don't see this being the new "normal", it should only be a temporary thing. I know that line of thinking is why many of these companies are hesitant to invest in new factories and more macines--as the demand may not be enough to support these capital expenditures in the long-haul, totally screwing the companies.

But at the same time, people have been talking about the hoarding and panic buying jacking up ammo prices as long as I've been a gun owner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though we've been in a state of higher prices, and decreased availability constantly since 2008. I guess maybe there was a slight reprieve between 2010 and 2011, but it seems  as though there was the panic of 2012, and so far all through 2013,2014, and now 2015 things are still in this state of shortage. I'm really starting to wonder if things are ever going to be like they were in the 2004 era or whenever you guys can remember was a "better time".

Cheyenne mountain just started limiting the 300 round CCI 22 to one box per purchase. For $27 and them having it I'm not about to complain, if you want the tactical that is still open to purchase for a similar price. Seems like one of the few places I can find decent, reasonably priced 22 near my house or work.

if you're wanting to have plenty of ammo......you shouldn't be waiting till the scares. you should always buy more than you shoot, if you're buying ammo. even if you just buy one box more than you shoot each time. if you shoot once a week, you're adding 200 rounds a month. it spreads the cost out, and makes it a lot easier to do.

the other thing, is to just keep watching/looking for deals. even if ya think ya have enough, and a deal comes along, grab it. it ain't like you're not gonna use it.