siderman

NRA video-72yr old NJ man+flintlock=FELON!

Great. There are no poster children for or cause, and if there were, it doesn't matter because we gun owners eat our young. :facepalm:

I'm not sure that not supporting a guy who is cruising around picking up male prostitutes and drugs should be considered "eating our own".  I don't consider myself a part of a group of men that do heroin and cruise male prostitutes.

I think the charges should still be tossed and the laws changed but if you are going to do illegal activity, get your own house in order first.

I'm not sure that not supporting a guy who is cruising around picking up male prostitutes and drugs should be considered "eating our own". 

First, I don't see "evidence" of prostitution.  Speculation, yes...  Second, is there any poster child for our cause? Or does everyone who is charged with a gun crime have skeletons in their closet and the authorities just dig until they find it? 

Can't we just once be more like the other side?  I'm not advocating a Ferguson type response but hell, cmon now, do we ever get a rallying call or are we all just willing to sit here and go "well he was stupid and his mother was an imbecile, she was ignorant and uninformed and had previous encounters with the police, this is gay man looking for heroin, etc"?   WTF!

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/story/news/crime/2015/02/20/ex-teacher-gun-case-trying-buy-drugs-sheriff/23749005/

My take on this?.....This whole thing screams "move out of NJ!" A "failure to appear" warrant that turns-out to be a screw-up by the Vineland court? Two pills - for which he HAS a prescription - but not in their "pharmacy container" - and the kid takes a pre-trial intervention (for a charge that SHOULD have been thrown-out) rather than gamble with going to trial? (Which makes the Millville court look like its more concerned with getting another "successful" prosecution rather than administration of justice...this charge should have been thrown out when he presented a valid prescription!) And now...."um, he was trying to buy drugs" from the Cumberland County Sheriff....but we're not going to charge him with that...Unbelievable!

Does these latest developments / information invalidate the original issue regarding firearm laws ?

you mean the fact that he was in a seedy part of town? and that they were apparently there to buy drugs? and that they were found with used packets in the vehicle? and that the kid driving had drugs on him? nah.....why should it? i mean after all, he wasn't really hurting anyone, was he?

i kept quiet on it, 'cause i knew there had to be more to it than we were hearing. now we hear it. i hope they throw the book at his dumb ass.

Remember, in states with Constitutional Carry, drug users, gays and prostitutes can carry too.  Should we support / not support depending on specific context or do we make call based on whats at stake i.e the ridiculous laws against 2A ?

it was heroin i think they said. they pretty much should throw the book at them both for that, and forget the gun charges. either way.......i knew there was another side to this, just like there always is.

you mean the fact that he was in a seedy part of town? and that they were apparently there to buy drugs? and that they were found with used packets in the vehicle? and that the kid driving had drugs on him? nah.....why should it? i mean after all, he wasn't really hurting anyone, was he?

i kept quiet on it, 'cause i knew there had to be more to it than we were hearing. now we hear it. i hope they throw the book at his dumb ass.

Did you read the rebuttal from Nappen and Co, LT...?

Used bags....if there was residue, where's the charges? I used to use the same bags to package Boy Scout awards.

Seedy part of town....seedy describes half of Millville!

If they were buying, where's the charges?

If he was selling, he's doing a lousy job, with a broken scale. (And we haven't seen the scale, either....is this a drug scale? Bathroom scale? Considering they sent a flint less flintlock out for testing, I would wanna know what scale we're talking

The kid had drugs....two pills, for which he had a prescription....My question is why we're they going for pre trial intervention over two prescribed pills?

Did you read the rebuttal from Nappen and Co, LT...?

Used bags....if there was residue, where's the charges? I used to use the same bags to package Boy Scout awards.

Seedy part of town....seedy describes half of Millville!

If they were buying, where's the charges?

If he was selling, he's doing a lousy job, with a broken scale. (And we haven't seen the scale, either....is this a drug scale? Bathroom scale? Considering they sent a flint less flintlock out for testing, I would wanna know what scale we're talking

The kid had drugs....two pills, for which he had a prescription....My question is why we're they going for pre trial intervention over two prescribed pills?

as of last night, i hadn't seen one? i'd like to though?

Even if there were used heroin bags. How about the super sleuths work on cleaning up the crappy part of town of real criminals instead of trying to throw the book at a 72 year old guy with a flint lock and a potential drug addiction problem? Perhaps its an easy "bust" in order to pump up their statistics?

Police have a lot of discretion when it comes to enforcing the laws. In the past, tough laws were put on the books, and cops were expected to use selective enforcement to apply those laws under the right circumstances. If this dude had 6lbs of heroin on him and had the flintlock gat ... then yea, use whatever law you can to get the guy behind bars for as long as possible... including having a 250 year old flintlock as "illegal possession of a handgun". Most wouldn't even bat an eye here.

When it comes to a family man with no prior record who's .22 rifle tube magazine holds an extra round over 15, a single mom who made a mistake with her legal while in PA gun and CCW, a man moving from Colorado to NJ to be closer to his son who was moving with handguns in his trunk, a 72 year old potential drug addict with a flint-lock antique pistol.... these are times when police should use a little bit of critical thinking when applying our draconian gun laws.

Even if there were used heroin bags. How about the super sleuths work on cleaning up the crappy part of town of real criminals instead of trying to throw the book at a 72 year old guy with a flint lock and a potential drug addiction problem? Perhaps its an easy "bust" in order to pump up their statistics?

Police have a lot of discretion when it comes to enforcing the laws. In the past, tough laws were put on the books, and cops were expected to use selective enforcement to apply those laws under the right circumstances. If this dude had 6lbs of heroin on him and had the flintlock gat ... then yea, use whatever law you can to get the guy behind bars for as long as possible... including having a 250 year old flintlock as "illegal possession of a handgun". Most wouldn't even bat an eye here.

When it comes to a family man with no prior record who's .22 rifle tube magazine holds an extra round over 15, a single mom who made a mistake with her legal while in PA gun and CCW, a man moving from Colorado to NJ to be closer to his son who was moving with handguns in his trunk, a 72 year old potential drug addict with a flint-lock antique pistol.... these are times when police should use a little bit of critical thinking when applying our draconian gun laws.

bolded part i agree with. but the problem is that they are. people buying that crap are the real criminals too. in the case of the kid driving......if he's a user, he's also one that may end up confronting one of us one day trying to get money for his addiction.

i fully agree that they should've never brought the gun charges into it.........

i hope that this is a case of that pd trying to cover themselves, and making stuff up. i hope mr nappen chose well, and that neither of these guys was a user. if not, this will do a lot of damage to our cause when the antis get their hands on it.

A second article from a different paper was linked by W2MC http://www.thedailyjournal.com/story/news/crime/2015/02/20/ex-teacher-gun-case-trying-buy-drugs-sheriff/23749005/  This article has much more detail and tells both sides.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in court.

Something that was in the one article that is puzzling - it was stated that they were returning from retrieving the gun from a pawn shop in Vineland. Since this is considered a firearm, under NJ state law, and since it is illegal for a pawn shop to make a loan against a firearm, shouldn't the pawn shop be charged too?

They also claimed that they stopped and had lunch on the return trip from the pawn shop - another chargeable offense?

Just thought I'd stir the pot some more.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Just occurred to me...why is the Cumberland County Sheriff patrolling Millville?  

According to their web page, the Millville PD has about 100 officers and support personnel, so its not in need of any help from the county.  In NJ, most of the County Sheriffs are involved with the county jail and court system, not with patrolling the county.  Even here in Camden Co, where the Co is trying to get away from municipal police and form a single county system, they are known as the county police, not the county sheriff.

Whats going on?

Millville is quickly becoming Camden.  The County Sheriff Officers have been patroling Millville for A long time.

As far as this Guy in question in this post.  There most likely will be more to this than has been released.

As stated above,

A Pawnshop in NJ cant make A loan on A firearm. So thats A shady excuse.

Were these guys in the wrong place at the wrong time?   Probably not. 

As bad as this area is getting compared to what it used to be, There are A lot of people that find themselves in A spotlight when in certain parts of town.

Plus now that the Mayor here is also the County Under Sheriff, Former Millville officer, He is putting the heat on. As well he should because like I say Millville is Little Camden

Justifying their existence. NJ has always been way overstaffed on LEO agencies. Remember when LEOs said that the Camden County police consolidation would be the End Of The World and nice white people in Haddon Heights and Cherry Hill would be raped and murdered by the Camden thugs if a Countywide force were implemented? Worst race baiting I have seen in a long time.   I haven't seen nor heard of anything any worse or better in Camden County since that happened. Maybe there's more of a movement to do countywide cops in those two counties and the Sherriffs are trying to get ahead of it and be the ones in charge of the coming loot and patronage

The sheriffs in salem country have been patrolling also. There is some kind of pissing contest going on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Justifying their existence. NJ has always been way overstaffed on LEO agencies. Remember when LEOs said that the Camden County police consolidation would be the End Of The World and nice white people in Haddon Heights and Cherry Hill would be raped and murdered by the Camden thugs if a Countywide force were implemented? Worst race baiting I have seen in a long time.   I haven't seen nor heard of anything any worse or better in Camden County since that happened. Maybe there's more of a movement to do countywide cops in those two counties and the Sherriffs are trying to get ahead of it and be the ones in charge of the coming loot and patronage

Um...no.

The gripe I have (and still have) and the rest of us in Camden County have is that we end-up subsidizing Camden City's continued existence.

We'd be better-off paving Camden over and making it a parking lot to go visit the USS New Jersey.

Um...no.

The gripe I have (and still have) and the rest of us in Camden County have is that we end-up subsidizing Camden City's continued existence.

We'd be better-off paving Camden over and making it a parking lot to go visit the USS New Jersey.

what he said.

Um...no.

I second the motion. These proceedings are closed and Camden shall become a parking lot for the Battleship New Jersey!!!!

when you simply have an antique firearm.. even if you are in the technical wrong... I can see the value in a slap on the wrist...

when you introduce possible drug bags.. possibly a scale.. possibly returning or going to a pawn shop.. a questionable relationship.. it starts to be the sum of a situation... and if all that is true? I would want him off the streets.. IF all of that is true it speaks to a series of choices belonging to someone I dont really want living in my neighborhood.. around kids.. it points to a questionable person.. with that said I was not there.. and it is not my place to judge.. but that is simply how I feel.. if all of the factors are true.. and this was where I lived.. I would not be crying over the gun charge.. my question would be more along the lines of when are the rest of the charges being filed..