diamondd817

You Know It's Cold When Your Guns Get Frostbite

Forget the guns, I felt like that yesterday.  After shooting an IDPA match at Somerset with virtually not heat I went to RTSP for a USPSA match.  When I came out after 11pm my car thermometer showed -3 degrees.  Good think I have electrically heated seats, as on the 10 minute drive home the temperature gauge only went up to one bar and the car never was warm enough to generate heat.

Just got in from the range car thermometer indicated it was 1 degree with a nice breeze out of the south, positive was not a soul was out. Negative was loading mags...... 2 hours was plenty.No frost on any of the pistols and rifle as I left everything in the garage overnight and it was a balmy 11 degrees . Love shooting in the winter.....

How did that happen?

Was shooting outdoors Sunday morning. Was about 6 degrees. Put the gun in its case, drove home, uncased the gun when I got home. The temp of the gun was still below freezing when it hit the 68 degree air in my house. Instantly frosted up.

I would also like to mention that 1911 is my factory stock Remington R1S. I ran about 200rds in the sub freezing temp with zero failures or issues. My friend, with his much more expensive Colt had 4 fails to feed and 2 fails to extract.

Was shooting outdoors Sunday morning. Was about 6 degrees. Put the gun in its case, drove home, uncased the gun when I got home. The temp of the gun was still below freezing when it hit the 68 degree air in my house. Instantly frosted up.I would also like to mention that 1911 is my factory stock Remington R1S. I ran about 200rds in the sub freezing temp with zero failures or issues. My friend, with his much more expensive Colt had 4 fails to feed and 2 fails to extract.

Wow! I went to the range on Sunday as well, but I shoot indoors and my pistol bag goes into the trunk area of my jeep.

Makes sense that a pricey pistol would fail in subprime conditions. Tighter machining tolerances are not really a "combat conditions" thing...