Zeke

Texas Senator Cornyn

http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=InNews&ContentRecord_id=f8e75a76-916e-4d0e-9e05-d8d408356b82

In The NewsHome / Press / In The News

Share This

Cornyn Introduces Bipartisan Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Feb 12 2015

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) today introduced the bipartisan Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2015, which would allow individuals with concealed carry privileges in their home state to exercise those rights in any other state that also has concealed carry laws, while abiding by that state’s concealed carry laws. Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV), John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) are the lead cosponsors of the bill.

“This bill strengthens two of our nation’s fundamental rights – the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and states’ rights to adopt laws that are best suited for their residents,” Cornyn said. “This bill is an important affirmation of the Second Amendment and has been a top priority of law-abiding gun owners in Texas for some time.”

As it stands, 15 states do not recognize Texas’ concealed handgun license (CHL). The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2015 would treat state-issued concealed-carry permits like drivers’ licenses, allowing law-abiding citizens with concealed carry privileges to concealed-carry in any other states that also permit it by law.

Poison pill ? Why come up with yet another variation when they already have a National Reciprocity bill that would make NJ honor ALL concealed carry (including where one doesnt exist by law like VT) ?

NJ already has a concealed carry law that folks from TX would have to adhere to. Its called "unloaded, in the trunk, directly to/from range etc" carry.

you are incorrect. this is what we want. If this would pass, we can sue for 14th amendment rights to have concealed carry. Since NJ DOES allow Concealed, the only ones that would be able to do it would be out of staters.. the fact that out of state CCW holders could carry while NJ is impossible to get one, it would be a 14th amnd case 100%.  

you are incorrect. this is what we want. If this would pass, we can sue for 14th amendment rights to have concealed carry. Since NJ DOES allow Concealed, the only ones that would be able to do it would be out of staters.. the fact that out of state CCW holders could carry while NJ is impossible to get one, it would be a 14th amnd case 100%.  

Arent we confusing this with the "other" national reciprocity bill ?   On the face, only thing this bill seem to do is remove need for AGs to make reciprocity deals.  This bill clearly states "while abiding by that state’s concealed carry laws". This bill does not prevent NJ from saying only NJ Concealed Carry Permit holder can carry loaded.

There is a reason this bill is "bipartisan".  What we want is the other bill that just calls for National Carry and makes states honor even VT style constitutional carry.

Nevermind. Read more about this.. and NRA

-----------

This legislation wouldn’t override state laws governing the time, place or manner of carriage or establish national standards for concealed carry. Individual state gun laws would still be respected. Concealed carry reciprocity would simply ensure that states honor permits issued by other states, just as they do with driver’s licenses. Importantly, if under federal law a person is prohibited from carrying a firearm, they will continue to be prohibited from doing so under this bill.

-------------------

Reading this, I cannot grasp how this helps NJ citizens or anyone passing through NJ at all. But thats for another discussion I guess.

Reading this, I cannot grasp how this helps NJ citizens or anyone passing through NJ at all. But thats for another discussion I guess.

It allows someone with a carry permit to traverse and carry in NJ (without hollow points).  Their PA carry permit is the same as if they had an NJ (unrestricted, meaning "not just for work purposes") carry permit.  What's not to understand?

JJ

A permit holder from another state will be able to carry in nj. Don't confuse our transportation exemptions for non ccw holders with this.

Nj ccw holders do not lock up for transport.

It's a step in the right direction. Baby steps

It allows someone with a carry permit to traverse and carry in NJ (without hollow points).  Their PA carry permit is the same as if they had an NJ (unrestricted, meaning "not just for work purposes") carry permit.  What's not to understand?

Looks good on its face, specially when its compared to drivers license.  But it says "all state gun laws must be followed". So if NJ says you cannot carry without a NJ permit or carry unloaded (any other ridiculous ways NJ comes up with to nullify this) without NJ permit, how does this help ?  The way its written, it doesnt supersede, or "make" NJ honor the "manner of carry" the original permit intended.

Oh, here is a good one. What if NJ law says you can carry with out-of-state, as long as you demonstrate "Justifiable Need". The same JN that we have been fighting for decades to get rid of.  

Does this bill has language that forces host states to afford "SAME privileges and immunities" as the resident permit holder ? 

What happens with the states that are going Constitutional Carry (the way it should have been all along) ?

I am not against the bill and I understand any progress in that direction is a progress.

American citizens should have a standard of rights regardless of there zipcode. I.E. The constitution. With respect to 2a all non uniformity will need to work it's way through the courts. Jus the way it is.

JJ, I feel if this passes it's opening the door a little more.

It's imperfect, but such is life.

So if NJ says you cannot carry without a NJ permit or carry unloaded (any other ridiculous ways NJ comes up with to nullify this) without NJ permit, how does this help ? 

This law looks to specifically negate that portion of state law.  Isn't that obvious?  It's intended to be just like a driver's license.  I don't need a PA license to drive in PA - that's the exact point of this law.  Cmon now.  Think man!

I still don't understand how a National Reciprocity Bill would help us under the 14th Amendment.  So people in 49 other states pass those state's requirements and get their respective state's license they then have the right to carry in NJ.  Got it so far.  NJ has a permitting process, which has been affirmed thus far in court as legal as they have demonstrated that 90%+ of the applicants are approved.  How does this help us?  It will be the same for us before and after as far as I can see it since we have yet to prove that NJ's system is unconstitutional.

“This bill is a menace to New York and would allow potentially dangerous people from other states to carry concealed weapons in our grocery stores, movie theaters and stadiums, without even notifying the police,” Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) recently told the NY Daily News.

“It is a nightmare for our law enforcement officers and the community, and I will fight this legislation tooth and nail.”

------------------------------

So no amount of background checks is enough to pass Mr. Schumer test of "potentially dangerous". And he is pandering to LEOs and banking on their opposition to concealed carry in general across tristate area.

" Schumer on Concealed Carry Reciprocity: I Will Fight It ‘Tooth and Nail’ " http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/eric-scheiner/schumer-concealed-carry-reciprocity-i-will-fight-it-tooth-and-nail

It's a shame that that Tick didn't do a better job on the Schmuckster.  It's the only time I actually rooted for a tick...

Sen. Schumer Treated for Lyme Disease After Tick Bite

Conservatives should send Cornyn a windfall and write that schmucker Majority Leader Locksly  from Kentucky and tell him about it. 

Donate to John Cornyn

The 'incorporation' of the 14th Amendment is an abomination and contrary to the intent of the amendment.  Using the so called incorporation the feds have so far been able to tell states that their one MAN one WOMAN marriage laws are unconstitutional  --  BS.  Alabama has recently told the Feds to take a hike.  Using the 14th grants the feds power they should not have.

Art. 1 Section 1 of the NJ STATE CONSTITUTION acknowledges the citizens of NJ have the unalienable right to life and the defense of that life.  ANY law enacted by the NJ legislature that denies that right once I get to my sidewalk is contrary to NJ's own constitution

"National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Law Will Increase Gun Violence"  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-rosenthal/concealed-carry-reciprocity_b_6880840.html

"It's just common sense to make it harder, instead of easier, for criminals, the dangerously mentally ill and people with a history of domestic violence to legally carry concealed weapons in public. While I love Florida's sunny beaches and beautiful wildlife, when it comes to firearm policy and the risk of being a victim of gun violence, we are much more likely to die there versus in Massachusetts and several other states that just make it a little harder for potentially dangerous people to carry concealed weapons. Congress should take note and refuse to mandate that states honor Florida's notoriously dangerous gun policies."

Facepalm-GIF-7.gif

While I love Florida's sunny beaches and beautiful wildlife, when it comes to firearm policy and the risk of being a victim of gun violence, we are much more likely to die there versus in Massachusetts

There are some folks in Worcester and South Boston who would disagree.

Florida is delighted you feel this way and suggests you shout it from the rooftops to all of your like minded people.

If I send you a $50 will you tell everyone you know that Pennsylvania is a redneck gun-toting death trap? We don't want you people any more than Florida does.

If you put up big fences around your little commie states, and don't let anybody in our out, it will keep all of our easily available crime guns away from you as well.