wooly bugger

best place to install muzzle brake

Hi,

I have a rather expensive KAC rifle on order and have spent a lot of time researching which muzzle brake to permanently install. I think I'll go with the Griffin M4SD Tactical, which seems to offer a good combination of muzzle control and not blowing out my eardrums.

Is the actual pin and weld installation a skilled process, or is it fairly idiot proof?

Any recommendations for a gunsmith, or can any reasonable smith do it well? I'd like to use my local smith but don't have long experience with him and would hate to have this permanent job botched.

If you're talking about "installing muzzle brake" that includes cutting your barrel to desired length, threading and crowning it. For pinning and welding we charge $50.

$50

10941016_325724510958169_464721590054168

Hi,

I just need pin and weld and pin the stock.

Are you able to do an FFL transfer from an out of state FFL? If so, how much?

Thanks.

No it's an 18" barrel. I'm not trying to avoid a SBR, just trying to figure out the best thing to put on the threads to neuter it.

I'm in Essex, so recs for anyone in the area would be appreciated.

The reason I asked if the BBL was shorter than 16" is you mentioned pin & weld - if the bbl is

16" or longer it does not need to be welded - just pined in fine!

The reason I asked if the BBL was shorter than 16" is you mentioned pin & weld - if the bbl is

16" or longer it does not need to be welded - just pined in fine!

I don't know much about machining. Is just pinning considered "permanent?"

I'd prefer to avoid welding to prevent the risk of messing with the steel temper, but I'd also like to avoid the risk of becoming Evan Nappen's next poster boy.

The problem is that in NJ there is no definition of permanent. But the logic I apply is this. If the state recognizes blind pinning a stock as permanent (allowing manufacturers that do this to make them compliant to sell in this state) I think they would be hard pressed to turn around and say this is not permanent at the other end. The bottom line is that owning a black rifle in NJ always puts you at risk of becoming a Nappen client.

I just had Steve @ Monmouth Arms take care of my new BCM upper.  His attention to detail was superb.  The proper tools and the know how make a big difference.  He even blued over the areas and re-blackened them (thermal paint)... looks slick...

Any discoloration is because of the gun oil - haven't cleaned it up yet.

3nxmZlb.jpg

Q5jzBBY.jpg

adoKBxn.jpg

They did great job on my stuff. They have all proper equipment and facilities and do a very professional job. Prices are competitive, check out some of their work on FB if you have it. Turn around was good too. Soon as I get enough cash they are doing my upper, lower, barrel, hand guard and gas block.