Big Mack

Picked up a P08 today

Hey guys how are ya? Iv been out of the game for a bit but I jumped back in today. iv always wanted to add one to my ever growing ww2 era collection so I finally pulled the trigger. I was able to get away from the wife for a bit and picked it up after work. It's an 1936 S42. All matchIng except the mag. Any adivise for those with experience would be greatly apprciated.

post-4622-0-57289900-1424304918_thumb.jpg

post-4622-0-36485200-1424304932_thumb.jpg

post-4622-0-86150300-1424304980_thumb.jpg

Looks like a nice example but the grips look a little too new to me. The 1936 model usually have unnumbered grips but they could be good reproductions or very nice originals. I would join Jan Still Luger Forum and add your luger to the list of missing mags. It might turn up one day and make your pistol nearly double in value. They could also give you a better opinion on the grips.

Your pistol would have had 2 mags with it. The mag body will be nickel on earlier letters blocks and blued on later letter blocks. 

1  serial with letter block and droop eagle 63 proof

1 serial with + and letter block and droop eagle 63 proof

Thanks guys.i can't wait to get it out and put a few rounds through it.

Looks like a nice example but the grips look a little too new to me. The 1936 model usually have unnumbered grips but they could be good reproductions or very nice originals. I would join Jan Still Luger Forum and add your luger to the list of missing mags. It might turn up one day and make your pistol nearly double in value. They could also give you a better opinion on the grips.

Your pistol would have had 2 mags with it. The mag body will be nickel on earlier letters blocks and blued on later letter blocks. 

1  serial with letter block and droop eagle 63 proof

1 serial with + and letter block and droop eagle 63 proof

Yea the grips are in great shape. I don't think there as nice as the picture makes them look, if that makes any sense. I wouldn't be shocked if they were replaced at some point though. Great idea I'll check out that forum thanks for the advise

Great looking piece of history there.  I was just in a local store, I recently found out about;  and he had a shelf of 6-8 lugers each one was beautiful and its the first time I have seen that many in one place. 

Beautiful gun. I used to have a "Luger Fund" set up to save for one, but my brother ended up stealing the money. I've been on a WWII rifle kick. Might trade some old computer parts for a Type 99, and I'm looking to get a K98k, and eventually a P38, but a Luger is what I really want.

Only problem is I'd always be dying to shoot it, but probably wouldn't for fear of damaging it.

Great looking piece of history there.  I was just in a local store, I recently found out about;  and he had a shelf of 6-8 lugers each one was beautiful and its the first time I have seen that many in one place.

Which store did you go to? If you don't mind me asking? I never see them anywhere except for H Guild in Rahway.

Beautiful gun. I used to have a "Luger Fund" set up to save for one, but my brother ended up stealing the money. I've been on a WWII rifle kick. Might trade some old computer parts for a Type 99, and I'm looking to get a K98k, and eventually a P38, but a Luger is what I really want.

Only problem is I'd always be dying to shoot it, but probably wouldn't for fear of damaging it.

Sorry to here that man. Yea I seem to always be on a "any type of ww2 arms I can get my hands on" kick. Got a whole bunch now. I just have a fascination with era and the arms of all sides. I picked up a type 99 intact mum about a year ago. Great gun, lots of history, almost no kick to it. Expensive ammo though. Iv had my k98 forever love that bad boy. And I agree on the p38 I want to put in for another p2p so I can pick one up. I also will probably get a junky mismatched p08 for a shooter. I wasn't really thinking when I bought mine that it's so nice and if I break a matching part there goes the value.

Big Mack,

I went to see the Yankee Armorer in Mahwah, NJ.  He is At 107 Miller road, Mahwah, NJ 07430 201-512-0002.  He has a small storefront, by appointment only.   Charles Kaplan is WWII Airborne veteran and he runs & owns the shop.  He specializes in Pre 1945 Military Firearms.  He has a number of lugers, p38s, US GI 1911s, and other various firearms.  He handled an FFL transfer for me, from a shop in NY for a glock 19.   He is a very nice guy, and he has some impressive WWII era firearms.