Sign in to follow this  
iamkurrupt

Nikon M223 Opinions?

Walked into Heritage today looking for a cheap optic to throw on my LWRC for an outing to Ft. Dix this upcoming week with the family.  Guys tell me that they just took a trade on an M&P and optic was the M223 with 3-12x42.  Price was well below retail with the mount included considering it was used so I pulled the trigger.  Anyone own one?  Any experiences?

post-2946-0-81497200-1424312867_thumb.jpg 

I think you will be very happy with Nikon's M-223 3-12 scope. I have a couple on rifles I use for Nikon PR/Shooting Event's. These scopes have had 1000's of rounds under them over the last 5 years with zero issues. Myself and others have used these scopes to shoot 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 600 yards as well. If you have the BDc reticle you can use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to dial in your rifle,scope and ammo for the greatest possible longrange accuracy.  The M-223 is built with Nikon's flagship MONARCH glass so I think you will be very happy. The M-223 AR Mount is very stable and easy to use. If your mount has a designation XR it will have 20 MOA built into it. I hope this info helps? Drop me a note if you have any question's. 

Here's a pic of one of my M-223 3-12 scopes with a Rapid Action Turret. Built around a 55 gr. bullet at 3240 fps.

M-2233-12RAT.jpg

As my esteemed colleague bman said , you should love it, and you probably got a fantastic deal on it.

I own a platoon of Nikons including a Monarch 5-20x44 Side Focus, BDC reticle.  The Monarch is Nikon's top of the line product, and the M-223 / M-308 line is their AR-specific-branded set of Monarch-level scopes.  (They make a P-223 and I believe P-22 set , which is for ProStaff, which was their "entry level" line but has been rebranded to be their , "main lineup" if you will. I have 2 of the "original" ProStaffs made in 2010, and they're great scopes... but I got a newer ProStaff (rimfire) in Dec 2013, and it's newer and flashier with some upgrades and new look.

I love them, I think they're outstanding.  I have not owned NightForce etc. but I have shot some nice glass, and I really appreciate the quality of Nikon for low, low prices.  I will say this that I have said a bunch of times- in November 2012, at Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters, they had just got a huge shipment for Christmas buying season.  In particular they had a ton of Leupolds, VX-1, VX-II, VX-Rs, and VX-3 + VX-3L ... I had JUST been on the internet seriously and I mean clicks away from buying a Leupold VX-3 or VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm illuminated Boone & Crockett reticle (I am not 100% sure why but this particular scope really caught my eye at the time-) I was able to find it for just about $1000 exactly, MSRP like $1399.  WELL, the best scope CMO had in their store, was that exact scope- right there in the box, they had 3 boxes of the Leupold VX3L 4.5-14x50mm illuminated B&C reticle (I was not 100% sure if i wanted the L-version, Low-to-the-bore with the curved lens up front) ... the guy took one out, let me look at it ..it was amazing, very clear, I was very surprised at how nice it was.  I admitted I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to spend $1300 that night, but I did want it ... and he says, "Have to ever heard of Nikon??" Of course I said yes, I have a few, and he takes out a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40mm and says. try comparing them - look through the Leupold, then look through the Monarch, and see what you see, and tell me what you think- Honestly, if the Monarch wasn't BETTER and NICER looking through than the Leupold, it was at darn least exactly equal... but the Nikon was less than half price.  I was amazed, and decided I needed to think more.

A week later I got a Monarch 5-20x44 SF BDC for 25% off @ DSG online, I believe $397... and it's on my 700 AAC-SD / MCS T5A DBM build right now, not the flashiest but certainly doing the job.  And the 3 other ProStaffs I have are outstanding for their low prices, absolutely love my Nikons.  Would love a $2500 Vortex Razor HD or even a NightForce NXS but , you do what you can do sometimes.

Took it to South River Pistol Club last night and sighted it in at 50yards (all we have in the tunnel).  Unbelievable.  Punching through and throughs within 20 minutes.

Considering it is my first piece of glass; I am extremely pleased.  I'm overly pleased to the point where I don't see how scopes in the $1500 - $3000 price range could be much better.  But than again Ive never used one.

diamondd817:  Will report back with elevation turret later.

Scrap: I got an awesome deal.  Over $150 off retail and not a single scratch on it.    

Good for you brother, congrats- I also got an awesome deal - I tried to keep that out because my post was getting so long ... Basically, after the comparison side by side (I think it was like Friday night [the night at the LGS I looked at the scopes] , the day after Thanksgiving) ..  so Sunday night I was googling scopes and I found the Nikon Monarch I decided I wanted, 5-20x44mm SF BDC , and it was cheapest online @ Dick's Sporting Goods online website.  I decided, I am going for it!  It was $529.99 and I would probably get DSG ScoreCard bonus points for buying it, maybe like $25 gift card.  Well I literally had all my info entered, INCLUDING MY CREDIT CARD Info, when my dog went nuts, barking and demanding he needed to go out *right then and there*.  So I move my hand away from clicking "send" the order, get up take the dog out etc. come back in , take my coat and shoes off, etc. the cart had timed out, and then I'd have to enter all my info all over again.  I said, Forget it, I'll do it tomorrow... I'm going to watch tv and go to sleep.

The next morning, I wake up with a DSG Cyber Monday Sale!! email- 25% off any One Item online plus free 2-day shipping ... -- so less than 12 hours later, because I held off buying it, I was able to order the exact same thing for $397 instead of $529.99 ... what a deal right?

Again congrats... this past week I have had all 3 of my other Nikons out (ProStaffs 4-12x40mm 's [Nikoplex reticle on my 597, BDC on my Savage Mark II] and 4x32mm new-generation Rimfire on my 597 HB) and they were AMAZING, I did some awesome, awesome shooting with them and Nikon may not be the fanciest nor flashiest but it sure gives you some high quality for low price.