Stonecoldchavez

S&W 686 vs. Ruger GP100?

Got a 4"686 pre lock with Coco bolo grips for a great price used. Just have to keep your eyes open and they turn up. Found this one in the used case at RTSP. It wasn't in my hand for more than three seconds before I said "I'll take it" couldn't get the $500 out of my pocket quick enough. Definitely my favorite wheel gun to shoot. 8fce7b66f8f9c696942a1e7b1699e31e.jpg

Got a 4"686 pre lock with Coco bolo grips for a great price used. Just have to keep your eyes open and they turn up. Found this one in the used case at RTSP. It wasn't in my hand for more than three seconds before I said "I'll take it" couldn't get the $500 out of my pocket quick enough. Definitely my favorite wheel gun to shoot.

Great score - good price. I see that it is a 686-3 or older. If it is a "no dash" or a "-1" there was a recall on them that Smith will still honor. If it is a no dash or dash one look on the frame, under the yoke, adjacent to the serial / model number. If there is an "M" stamped there, the recall has been done. If it's a -2 or -3 you're GTG.

BTW, your stocks are not Coca Bolo - they are Goncalo Alves and worth 30% to 50% of what you paid for the gun.

Now you need to join the small (but growing) cadre of revolver shooters participating in IDPA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I considered the 686 when I was upgrading from the Ruger SP101 in .357 (my first handgun, about 5 years ago). The S&W is a pretty gun, whereas the GP100 is "accessible" -- like the girl you had a better chance going home with back in the day. Never shot that particular S&W (I do own a 617, which I love) but I'm very, very happy with my GP. I bring it with me almost every time I visit the range. I can't believe I'd shoot the S&W any better.

As for resale I'm never selling anything. Making +$200 when you've paid +250 or +350 is not going to change anything for me. And after I croak I don't give a crap. 

I can't resist this: Almost none of our kids are passing guns down to their children. Guns will either be illegal or they'll all be so brainwashed it won't matter. 

Great score - good price. I see that it is a 686-3 or older. If it is a "no dash" or a "-1" there was a recall on them that Smith will still honor. If it is a no dash or dash one look on the frame, under the yoke, adjacent to the serial / model number. If there is an "M" stamped there, the recall has been done. If it's a -2 or -3 you're GTG.

BTW, your stocks are not Coca Bolo - they are Goncalo Alves and worth 30% to 50% of what you paid for the gun.

Now you need to join the small (but growing) cadre of revolver shooters participating in IDPA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cool thanks for the info. The tag on the gun said the grips were coco bolo. Not being an exotic wood expert, you could have told me they were anything and I would take it at your word. I'll check out the number on the frame when I get home tonight. I really want to get into IDPA shooting. Howard has offered to help me get into it multiple times, I should really take him up on his offer.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Really? I have a few of these around the house in Pachmayr boxes for what they replaced. Never knew this!

Deerslayer, like Bob said (and he definitely knows), that looks like an excellent score. Congratulations, I have to get out more often.

I was in the right place at the right time, with money in my pocket. They said they just put it in the case that morning.