SkiingGunMonkey

PA Gun trust for NJ resident

So I've been toying with the idea of starting a PA gun trust to transfer my NJ legal guns to and I had a couple questions I couldn't find answers to I was hoping for some input:

1) How does one move existing firearms into a trust?

2) If I have a PA registered trust and add my wife to it, if we are both NJ residents is there any sort of transfer documentation that will be needed (P2P/CoE?) since she now has access to several pistols and long guns.

3) If I purchase a new handgun can I directly assign it to the trust? If so how will the CoE/P2P need to be filled out? If not what's the general idea?

4) Assuming I decide to get NFA items, will I need a PA resident to be a member of said trust in order to acquire them or can I do so as an NJ resident (obviously without ever bringing them into the state of NJ)

im not a lawyer but i do know that if you try to buy NFA items it must go through a NICS check, and therefore someone in PA needs to pick it up.  

if you want to transfer your NJ legal stuff, i'd be willing to bet that would need to go through a transfer to a PA resident too as its a transfer between two states.   anything you legally own instate i think you just add to the form stating the equipment the trust owns.  

all of this info should be explained to you when you use a good lawyer (not one of the $99 cookie cutter advertised ones on the web)

im not a lawyer but i do know that if you try to buy NFA items it must go through a NICS check,

Not true. I bought a machinegun and silencer from a private individual over his kitchen table. No FFL, no NICS/PICS check. Obviously I did send the transfer paperwork to ATF.

Just curious as to why you would set up a trust for regular class 2 firearms?

Because trusts have unique capabilities - they can survive in perpetuity.  I wondered about this particularly when NJ went into the AWB.  If you had a non-compliant firearm, you could "register" it, but you could not sell it in state to someone else, therefore when you eventually expire, that firearm would need to "leave" nj in some fashion.  If however that firearm were owned by a trust, that firearm would be NJ legal, all day, everyday, for as long as the trust lasts (forever).

IANAL nor do I play one on TV.  I considered setting up a firearms trust (not necessarily an NFA trust) in NJ prior to CC vetoing the 57 bills encroaching our rights for similar reasons to the above listed.

Because trusts have unique capabilities - they can survive in perpetuity.  I wondered about this particularly when NJ went into the AWB.  If you had a non-compliant firearm, you could "register" it, but you could not sell it in state to someone else, therefore when you eventually expire, that firearm would need to "leave" nj in some fashion.  If however that firearm were owned by a trust, that firearm would be NJ legal, all day, everyday, for as long as the trust lasts (forever).

IANAL nor do I play one on TV.  I considered setting up a firearms trust (not necessarily an NFA trust) in NJ prior to CC vetoing the 57 bills encroaching our rights for similar reasons to the above listed.

I know this question is better asked of a trust lawyer but maybe you came across it. If a gun in the trust does become non compliant will it be held hostage to your residence or can it still travel within the exemptions? -provided they themselves dont get hijacked too...

I know this question is better asked of a trust lawyer but maybe you came across it. If a gun in the trust does become non compliant will it be held hostage to your residence or can it still travel within the exemptions? -provided they themselves dont get hijacked too...

It depends on HOW the non-compliance is enacted.  NJ has this habit of just making everything illegal and not grandfathering anything...