Sign in to follow this  
jm1827

Kegerator question

HI Everyone,

My wife bought me a kegerator for my birthday, it is a 6.1 cubic ft version, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas where I can purchase a Co2 cylinder and where I can get that cylinder filled.  I live in western Monmouth county near exit 8 on the NJTPK.

Also, does anyone know what size cylinder I should get?

Thanks

The liquor store I go to will swap it out for you. If you don't have one they're hook you up with one and you leave a deposit on it. The people there are very nice and they have a very large selection of kegs in stock and can pretty much get you anything it a couple of days.

Joe's King of Kegs

160 Louis Street

New Brunswick NJ 08901

732-846-2244

Thanks Ken, do they sell and fill tanks?

I don't want to jack your thread, but do you really save money owning a kegerator? What are the benefits and drawbacks? How long does beer in a keg stay fresh?

I will let others chime in on the costs, as I don't have that information readily available, but for me it is more about the taste.  Beer in a keg has a second fermentation that is much different than beer in a can or bottle, due to the size, so there is a different (better IMHO) taste.  

That aside, I don't see much of a cost savings.

I will let others chime in on the costs, as I don't have that information readily available, but for me it is more about the taste.  Beer in a keg has a second fermentation that is much different than beer in a can or bottle, due to the size, so there is a different (better IMHO) taste.  

That aside, I don't see much of a cost savings.

It's about quality. Many years ago I sold can marking equipment to breweries.

Here's a synopsis of what I was told by a brew master. I spent an afternoon standing in beer up to my ankles, Don't ask why, There was an accident. Keg beer is brewed to one pressure, then deposit bottles, then glass bottles, then cans. The higher the pressure, the better the flavor. You've all had Bud on tap and you've  all had Bud in cans. Duh.

If you do the math, it's definitely more economical to drink by the keg versus the bottle.  But, you definitely end up drinking more so it kinda washes out.

Kind of like reloading....you may save $$ on a per round basis but you end up shooting more rounds!