Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Remington 1100 Pricing Question

Ok guys,

I have 99% condition 1974 Remington 1100. This thing looks like NOS. I really can't say enough about how nice this thing is. I bought it from an old man who shot it once and kept it in a closet for 35 years. He put 25 rounds through it, and then I put another 25 through it to make sure everything works.

My buddy asked me to sell it to him, but I refused. We then got into a discussion about what it may be worth.

My buddy says that due to the awesome condition and the age, this thing commands a premium and should be worth in the $850 - $950 dollar range. (Even though he offered me way less when he asked to buy it.) Personally, I feel used is used, and should go for the higher end of regular used prices. Somewhere in the $575 - $625 range.

What do you guys think? I am only asking because if he is right, then I am seriously undervaluing my guns.

I try to be realistic when buying and selling firearms, but am I missing something?

An old friend of mine has what I believe to be a very similar 1100. His (late, RIP Cap) stepdad was a police officer whom bought the new-at-the-time 1100 "in the 70s when it was new and the new hot thing to own and have and keep in your house for defense but be classy and gaming-capable at the same time."

I was introduced to it in the fall of 2008. It looked in amazing condition and we shot 100 or so rounds of cheap birdshot for some hand-thrown clay shooting. It was an amazing gun ... so soft shooting and perfectly reliable.

He is not selling it but also seems to think it's a near $1000 or more gun, but I tried to explain, you can find deals on new ones cheaper and the (different I know but general principle here....) 11-87 can be had for like $6-700 at Dsg. Plus there are plenty of used models on gun selling sites. So he has sort of put HIS personal feelings into his valuation of it, which doesn't fly... for you, I say just keep it, you'll never get more value from selling than personal value of owning it. At least IMHO.

Used 1100's sell in the range of $400 - $650. Used guns sell for whatever the buyer is willing to pay. The LT-20's may command a premium, the 28 ga. & .410 may command a premium, the early 3" magnum grade may command a premium, target models like Trap Grade may command a premium.

I am not familiar with the acronym "NOS."

While older guns may have been made better and with better materials, it is still a used gun.  It would need a specific reason to command a higher price than today's offerings.  Desirable caliber, not currently offered, special configurations, etc.  The real determining factor will be what somebody is willing to pay for it.  That is the true value of the firearm.

I am not familiar with the acronym "NOS."

NOS means NEW OLD STOCK. As if a dealer forgot one on a back shelf somewhere for 30 years and Just found it today while cleaning up.

I guess I should have given a few more details. Its nothing rare. It is a 12ga, 28 in fixed choke modified barrel. No vent rib. Nothing that would make it a rarity other than the age and condition.

I personally never felt that the condition gave it a premium, just that it would go for the upper end of used. My friend swears I am wrong.

The funny thing is I am torn about selling it. But, it has nothing to do with price.

I believe a gun should be used and enjoyed, and nothing should be a safe queen. However, I don't have the heart to put it to work. So I keep taking it out to use it, but put it right back in when I see it.

I guess I should sell to someone who really wants it, I just don't want to go through the hassle.

I guess I should have given a few more details. Its nothing rare. It is a 12ga, 28 in fixed choke modified barrel. No vent rib. Nothing that would make it a rarity other than the age and condition.

I personally never felt that the condition gave it a premium, just that it would go for the upper end of used. My friend swears I am wrong.

The funny thing is I am torn about selling it. But, it has nothing to do with price.

I believe a gun should be used and enjoyed, and nothing should be a safe queen. However, I don't have the heart to put it to work. So I keep taking it out to use it, but put it right back in when I see it.

I guess I should sell to someone who really wants it, I just don't want to go through the hassle.

Your friend is incorrect. While your 1100 is much nicer (and a better gun than one made today) than the current version, it will still top out in the $500-$550 range unless it was something unusual like Parker mentioned.

Your friend is incorrect. While your 1100 is much nicer (and a better gun than one made today) than the current version, it will still top out in the $500-$550 range unless it was something unusual like Parker mentioned.

I'm with you guys. I have bought and sold several 12ga 1100's and never saw one go for anything over $600. He just didn't want to believe me.

Just in case I am missing out on an opportunity: Anyone looking to overpay for a really great condition 12ga Remington 1100? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for that clarification on "NOS." I'll commit that to memory.

An 1100, with a modified fixed choke and no vent rib is probably less desirable in today's age that it was in 1974 when lead shot was still legal for waterfowl before the steel shot mandates. And while the plain barrel is lighter than the vent-ribbed model, the absence of choke tubes might be a turn-off to some buyers today.

Those older Remington 1100's are still very good guns.

I sold a 1971 exactly like yours - was never even degreased - for $450 last fall to first looker.  May have brought more but I thought it was a fair price.  Not really collector pieces because there were so many made and these days everybody wants 3 1/2" camo guns.  Ed.

As stated earlier, thanks for everybody's help but gun was sold a few weeks ago for $525.

Decided I didn't want a safe queen and passed it on to someone who loved it.