OfcrFek

NJSP taking pictures of tattoos for FAID application??

Not sure this is in the right area, and if it's not, I apologize. A friend who is using the NJSP Red Lion Police Barracks for their FID application just texted me saying she was told she has to set up an appt to get photos taken of all her tattoos. I've never heard of this before, as Evesham PD never said anything like that when I applied years ago. Everyone I've been asking if they were required to have photos taken of their ink when they applied for their FID look at me crazy. She said when her father applied for his FID over 5 years ago, they made him do it too. Has anyone else been requested for photos of their tattoos? Is this something new, or something I have her contact NJA2 about??

It's just more bs. Contact Scott Bach and let him know. They need a biotch slap. But just in case, get the big Kiss Tongue and Lips tattooed on your butt. That will cure them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This requirement is in direct contravention of 2C:58-3,f which states, in part: There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

While there is a single line on the back of the FPID card itself, titled distinguishing physical characteristics, there is no corresponding field on the application, or other legal forms, from which to glean this information. Definitely in violation and needs to be brought to the attention of the ANJRPC.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

ETA: Thanks NEAHS - I missed that the application does ask for distinguishing physical characteristics. Still does not allow them to photograph them.

Plain view... she has a lot of them.

And I guess none of them are "similar" to any known gang affiliations etc. Dont have to answer that.. regardless, I wouldnt let anyone take "all" pictures of them. You never know how someone would interpret them and where they get cataloged.

its lawsuit time.

Who put them down on FPID and how did they collect that data ? Did you volunteer that info as part of the initial application ?

Yeah it asked specifically on an extra form I filled out in 2003 when I applied. This was when I was still young and dumb to the actual laws. My town no longer gives out that form. Someone may have called NJ2AS on them two years ago. :whistle:

Don't do it and fight it.

Incidentally, it does not ask for tattoos on the application. Mine are listed on my card too. Did I volunteer this info? Yes, many years ago. If I recall, the actual fid form says something to the affect, " Do you have any distinguishing marks on your body"... It does not ask about tattoos.

Writing down tattoos was what your mind said to do. But 'marks' could mean a mole, a beauty mark like Gorby has on his head, etc...I do not believe it is a required question. At least that's how I remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who put them down on FPID and how did they collect that data ? Did you volunteer  that info as part of the initial application ?

Question #10 on the FPID/PPP application asks if you have any marks, scars, tattoos. That's were they obtain the info for the card itself.

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

Question #10 on the FPID/PPP application asks if you have any marks, scars, tattoos. That's were they obtain the info for the card itself.

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

I always left it empty and never was asked to fill it out.  I am not sure if they can "demand it", but taking pictures if far fetched. It looks like a trap. 

So she just texted me and said she went to her appt to turn in the application forms and they never even brought up the part where they said they needed to take pictures. I'm not sure if she misunderstood or someone at the barracks told her false info, but they never asked to take the pics during the appt, only that she write the distinct features down for the card. Regardless, she said she knows a few people who WERE required to get their ink photo'd while applying thru that barracks, so I'm thinking they WERE doing that until someone told them the weren't legally allowed, and they stopped, but the one guy she initially talked to didnt get the memo or something.

I just talked to her a little more in depth, and I think they used to do it, but stopped. She said she specifically asked during the interview if they were going to be documenting her tattoos and the trooper said no, they don't do that anymore. I really think they used to but got in trouble for it, and the trooper she initially talked to didn't know they stopped.

Red Lion NJSP barracks (and Evesham when I applied for my FID) required a sit down "interview." Can't tell you what NJSP talked about, but EPD's "interview" was a guy explaining the whole application process and making small talk. I'm assuming it was the same for her.

I have never heard of this interview before. They are "assessing" her or you. There is no law requiring an interview. That is what NICS is for. No criminal record and you are good to go. That does not seem legal to do. I just spoke to someone who works at the Bordentown Barracks. No interview required nor mentioned. Pick up forms there or do them on line; bring in check or money order for the number of permits you want.