BrunoJLucarelli

Affordable Shooting Ranges in Central Jersey?

CJ also has a training program for anyone interested from basic pistol, rifle and shotgun all the way through instructor..  These courses are taught at the club by certified NRA instructors for a nominal fee.  The courses are open to the public.

I suggest you don't try to have everyone join a club at first.  You should wait until you are sure they are hooked on the sport.  No sense in having them spend money only to find they won't use the range.  The sugggestion to have them start at matches open to the public is a good one but it might be better that they have handled a gun prior to that.  You joining a club and bringing them as guests once or twice prior might be better.  You taking the NRA courses and becoming a certified instructor would be better yet.

Did anyone tell you guns/shooting can be an expensive hobby.

I'm aware that it can be, but in New Jersey it's exceptionally-expensive.  In other states you can get a range membership for a small fraction of what one pays here, though it's understandable because of NJ property prices/taxes and legal constraints on range owners.

Citizen's Rifle & Revolver Club in West Windsor may be a good option.

http://crrc.org/crrc.htm

I wasn't aware of this club.  Thanks for pointing me that way- the prices are very reasonable, it has nice facilities, and there's a good variety of ranges.  Definitely feasible for my own use, I'll see if I can't reach out to them.

CJ also has a training program for anyone interested from basic pistol, rifle and shotgun all the way through instructor..  These courses are taught at the club by certified NRA instructors for a nominal fee.  The courses are open to the public.

I suggest you don't try to have everyone join a club at first.  You should wait until you are sure they are hooked on the sport.  No sense in having them spend money only to find they won't use the range.  The sugggestion to have them start at matches open to the public is a good one but it might be better that they have handled a gun prior to that.  You joining a club and bringing them as guests once or twice prior might be better.  You taking the NRA courses and becoming a certified instructor would be better yet.

I'm more opening this club (note, it's not a formal "gun club", it's an interest club which will go to other sites) for the purpose of teaching them the basics.  It's not a shooting sports club, and I already have about two dozen people.  Most of them are interested in learning more about guns, while we do have some experienced and beginning shooters with prior knowledge.  In addition, there are members who are interested in becoming certified.  Could you give me a link to the training program up to instructor?  I only find references to other ranges like Shore Shot.  I appreciate your input! 

Citizens. Thats what i was thinking. What About 35 mins from rutgers.

Definitely another option I was considering!

Lake Island in Carteret has a great bunch of people, is an indoor-only 25yard range, but each person would need to "qualify" to be included, plus a quite affordable annual membership fee. I think you'd be better served for yourself and doing other students, current and future, a great service by trying to get Rutgers into the game, as Iggyort suggested.