1LtCAP

corrected vision

pretty straight forward question, with probably not so straight forward solutions.....but what do you guys who need vision correction do for shtf?

as it is now, i wear contacts, and own a single pair of eyeglasses. been considering lasik, so i won't need correction....but am pretty much afraid to let anyone mess with my eyes like that.......

As far as Lasik...understand that even if you have perfect vision now and you are 35 or younger, when you get 38-42, it's going to become crappy again.   If you're already over that hurdle, you're still probably going to need reading glasses.

i'm 52. the contacts i wear right now are multi-focal. i don't need "old guy" glasses with these. with my eyeglasses, i do have trouble seeing very close. i opted to not get bi-focals for those, as i only wear those at night when i take the contacts out. so yes, i understand i'd still need "old guy" glasses if i had the lasik done.

there was also one that my eye doc told me about...forget what he called it, but essentially, they peel your eyes lens back, and insert a lens underneath.....this he said is adjustable, and reversible.

as it is now, i'm blind as a bat without corrective lenses.......

My vision means I wear glasses all the time, but it isn't that bad, in fact I can get away with not wearing glasses for pretty much everything except passing silly letter eye chart tests. 

Also, I have like 3 spare pair of glasses, not including my pretty tough shooting glasses. 

If i is truly the end of the world, then we'll do like everyone before last two century did, we'll deal with it as humanity survived before the advent of cheap ground glass, and did so in such a manner that bad vision was not eliminated from the gene pool.  

i'm 52. the contacts i wear right now are multi-focal. i don't need "old guy" glasses with these. with my eyeglasses, i do have trouble seeing very close. i opted to not get bi-focals for those, as i only wear those at night when i take the contacts out. so yes, i understand i'd still need "old guy" glasses if i had the lasik done.

there was also one that my eye doc told me about...forget what he called it, but essentially, they peel your eyes lens back, and insert a lens underneath.....this he said is adjustable, and reversible.

Also, there are a couple of criteria for Lasik.  Corneal thickness and pupil diameter are two biggies.    If you have naturally big pupils don't do it, I do know someone who has issues due to that.   They have a huge problem with halos around everything at night.   If you have thick corneas, you won't have anything to worry about.  Thin corneas should mean you get it done at the best of the best.

Also, there are a couple of criteria for Lasik. Corneal thickness and pupil diameter are two biggies. If you have naturally big pupils don't do it, I do know someone who has issues due to that. They have a huge problem with halos around everything at night. If you have thick corneas, you won't have anything to worry about. Thin corneas should mean you get it done at the best of the best.

Also your eyes have to be almost perfectly round. I'm not a candidate for Lasik because my right eye is a little oval over safe tolerance levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They peel your corneas back, remove your old lens and replace with new. Usually done with bad cataract problems. My mom had them done in both eyes and could see great and rarely used reading glasses. I'll be needing it in the next several years. I was diagnosed with early stages of cataracts. For now I have 3 way progressives which work pretty good. Only caveat is you lose most of your peripheral vision because of the sides of the lens force you to turn your head and face what you want to look at. They enable me to see distance, see all my gun sights and read. Take some getting use to. I'm considering getting contacts because I hate wearing my glasses. Most common times I don't need then. Just when I'm tired, in certain store lighting, night driving, etc...

Each eye takes about 30-40 mins and most cases, will only do one eye at a time. Especially if you live alone. She could almost see perfectly an hour or so after the surgery.

They peel your corneas back, remove your old lens and replace with new. Usually done with bad cataract problems. My mom had them done in both eyes and could see great and rarely used reading glasses. I'll be needing it in the next several years. I was diagnosed with early stages of cataracts. For now I have 3 way progressives which work pretty good. Only caveat is you lose most of your peripheral vision because of the sides of the lens force you to turn your head and face what you want to look at. They enable me to see distance, see all my gun sights and read. Take some getting use to. I'm considering getting contacts because I hate wearing my glasses. Most common times I don't need then. Just when I'm tired, in certain store lighting, night driving, etc... Each eye takes about 30-40 mins and most cases, will only do one eye at a time. Especially if you live alone. She could almost see perfectly an hour or so after the surgery. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YEA......i have a lot of problems without my peripheral when i put my eyeglasses on......

Sux too because when you are used to using it all your life, it's a hard habit to break. Especially since my wife thinks I'm an owl. My peripheral vision is excellent and I can see slightly more than 180 degrees. She only thinks I can't see here make faces at me. Lmao.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sux too because when you are used to using it all your life, it's a hard habit to break. Especially since my wife thinks I'm an owl. My peripheral vision is excellent and I can see slightly more than 180 degrees. She only thinks I can't see here make faces at me. Lmao.

that's the problems i have. i can see nearly everything from my 3/9 line around to in front of me. with my eyeglasses on, i actually have misjudged things in my own dam house, and walked into things that i normally wouldn't. it sucks, lolol

Lets face it. Getting old sux! I'm not the oldest chap here but I'm coming up on the Heinz Ketchup years and getting more broken by the day it seems. I don't want to think how I'll feel in 10 more.

Lets face it. Getting old sux! I'm not the oldest chap here but I'm coming up on the Heinz Ketchup years and getting more broken by the day it seems. I don't want to think how I'll feel in 10 more.

i'm still invincible. at least that's what i keep telling myself. :)

Just have the lasik. I did it 14 years ago and it was the best money I had ever spent. I wore glasses from age 13 to 35. got off the table and was able to read the clock on the wall immediately where before it was just a blur. They have also come a long way since then with the procedure . They did say i would eventually need reading glasses but so far so good.

If you want cheap backup glasses, check out zenni.com. They start at around $30, and they don't require an actual prescription as long as you know what you need.

Friends wife just told us about that place. Her girlfriends buys their maniac son's glasses there because they break them. They love Zenni...

i'm still invincible. at least that's what i keep telling myself. :)

Yea, right. ;)

I'm like a fast moving train when I engage in a physical project and won't stop till I'm done. But 48 hours later, my body reminds me of all the injuries that haunt me and days it takes to recover. I'd give anything for a new skeletal system and new set of eyes.

Yea, right. ;)

I'm like a fast moving train when I engage in a physical project and won't stop till I'm done. But 48 hours later, my body reminds me of all the injuries that haunt me and days it takes to recover. I'd give anything for a new skeletal system and new set of eyes.

ha! wouldn't it be nice if we could go down to the corner store, and pick out a new body?

I've had epi-Lasik done. First, do your research when choosing a physician. I was very close to going to a well known group in NYC, but what turned me off was all those practices seemed to be more about marketing and making a lot of money. I ended up going to the head refractive surgeon out of Wills Hospital in Philly. Make sure you choose a doctor that is a clinical practice first, then marketing house a distant second.

Also, consider which procedure you want to do. I decided on epi-Lasik, which is similar to PRK, because there is no deep flap that can risk being dislodged. Because I do martial arts (jiu-jitsu), this is important to me. If your lifestyle has little to no risk of any impact to the eye, then this may be less important.

I had my procedure done over 3 years ago and it's been very stable since. My correct distance vision is not likely to change...however, Lasik will stop presbyopia. It will happen to pretty much everyone once you are over 40. Reading glasses, or bifocals, will just be a fact of life regardless of whether your vision is corrected or not. I would rather just take out a pair of reading glasses as needed rather than depend on contacts or glasses all the time.

Ive had friends that did Lasik..about 50/50 breakdown for those who stayed stable to those who got worse again..I guess YMMV...as far as SHTF..get some titaniumn Oakley frames..pretty damn tough and the metal case they came in looks like it cam withstand a nuke

Lasik leaves a flap that I read can complicate future eye injuries. Look into "lasik flap adhesion" or something like that. It would be really annoying to have a scratched eye turn into something that needs a hospital visit when there are none available.

For me right now it would come down to not breaking my glasses and having enough spares. Sounds like your vision is a bit worse than mine though.

As far as durability, I've had good luck with a somewhat flexible pair from Walmart. "Ti-Flex" is written on the side. I've sat and stepped on them and after 4 years they're still my favorite.

I had lasik surgery (I dont remember which type) in 2002 and my eyes are starting to go bad again,  I want to learn more about cornea replacement

Nothing wrong with the "Lasik Flap", do more research, if you get hit hard enough to so-called dislodge it, you have larger problems than that such as no eyeball left. Even the USAF approved it. Once I had to go with multi-focal lenses, I had Lasik done. I only need inexpensive reading glasses now. Very happy I had it done 10 years ago. I went to an eye surgeon, and not a laser center.