ogfarmer

Whats the best way to deprime over 12k of 9mm brass

Im not sure i get what your trying to do here. The fastest, easiest, least time wasting way would be to deprime clean cases and resize them at the same time..

Nothing wrong with doing small batches and only using what you need, that pretty much what every one does... no one would prep 12k cases of brass unless they were trying to load every last single one.

I am new to this reloading thing, It was my understanding its better to clean the brass with a empty primer pocket. Guess I misunderstood the process.

With pistol its not necessary, with rifle you should, but still dont have to. Even if you wanted to clean them before and after to get the pockets it would be less time wasted.... since cleaning them requires no work really.

but where do the primers go with the harvey -- sure looks like they just pop out and are contained by nothing

They drop into my hand not holding the deprimer.  I'ver got an old Lee-1000 which does not handle spent primers well without modifying your loading bench,  So harvey deprimer works well while watching TV, I drop the spent primers into a solo cup.  Great for preventing Berdan primed brass from sneaking in.  Since I dry tumble the brass I find I spend more time inspecting the brass when deprimed to make sure no material in flash hole.  I also have an extra depriming rod to poke out any stuck material and it works great for a primer size check, it fits in the large primer slot, but not small.  Great if you run across .45 with small primers. But yea, it does take a bit longer, but things go smoother in the long run, at least for me.  I'm never fortunate enough to only have one caliber of brass on hand, so its deprime, tumble, inspect, sort, reload.

but where do the primers go with the harvey -- sure looks like they just pop out and are contained by nothing

Correct. I use a large plasticware bowl with the Harvey pointing into it. Some guys say you don't need to clean primer pockets for handgun and that may be if you're not looking for accuracy.  I deprime before tumbling. I've deprimed batches on my L-n-L and I find it's a helluvalot easier and quicker using the Harvey.

Some guys say you don't need to clean primer pockets for handgun and that may be if you're not looking for accuracy.

Curious on that statement.  I know of many BE shooters who for years never cleaned the primer pockets of their brass and still have scores and awards that one could only wish for. 

Thanks Steve --  Hunting season is over -- time to shoot targets that don't taste good on the grill --  We where signed up for the last real deal that got cancelled

We need a match before hockey season to get Jake there too

Dude, you have like 4 progressive presses. Why go backwards with hand priming? 

I'll never use the press to prime --  Just doesn't feel right to me -- the progressive press works just fine with already primed brass

anyway, this is depriming and I'll always try for improvement but I doubt this will be better than the LNL -- If it was better than the press Steve would use it

Jer,

I did use the Harvey until I stopped depriming before tumbling. Works great, I used to bring my brass to work and deprime during my down time. I didn't like depriming as a separate step on the press, way too dirty.

Oh, and registration is open for next Sunday's Real Deal Steel. Don't know if the snow will be melted enough, but hoping.

I do remember you talking about knocking out the primers at work -- didn't realize you too gave up depriming before cleaning --  Throw that thing in your bag, I'd like to check it out

We are gonna get a good snow melt this week -- hopefully there aren't too many spots at the range that don't see sun -- I did just get the registration email