autoxnyc

OGAM exemption application delay and State Police Phone#

Hi,

I submitted application for some handgun permits and OGAM exemption at the end of OCT.  I got the permits back mid JAN but the detective told me the OGAM exemptions didn't come back.  

I want to call the State Police to check on that, someone told me it could just be sitting on someone's desk.  I remember someone posted a phone number to call whenever your local PD gives you problems with issuing more than 1 permit at a time  Does anyone have that number?

TIA

Daniel

you can't apply for pistol permits & exemption at the same time. the permits are supposed to be turned back into local pd with exemption paperwork filled out with serial #'s of the guns

Huh ?  Isnt the other way around.. Exemption paperwork says it must be filed WITH the P2P paperwork.  So they CAN be filed together. However, some PDs seem to allow exemption paperwork to be filed separately.

exemption forms sp015 & sp016 must be filled out in appropriate areas by the seller(s) of the guns, along with make/model/serial # of each handgun, then those 2 forms along with a permit for each handgun gets turned in to local pd who then forward paperwork to State Police

exemption forms sp015 & sp016 must be filled out in appropriate areas by the seller(s) of the guns, along with make/model/serial # of each handgun, then those 2 forms along with a permit for each handgun gets turned in to local pd who then forward paperwork to State Police

I have never seen a permit (including permits used for exemptions) that was prefilled out with the gun info. or had a customer tell me their PD wanted the permits back when submitting exemption paperwork. Is this a South Jersey thing?

Exemption and Permits are completely Separate. One have nothing to do with the other when applying.

You will need 1 permit for each handgun you are using the Exemption for. The Handgun Serial numbers are submitted with the Exemption paperwork not the permits.

2c-58-3-4

"This form shall be submitted to the superintendent at the same time as the permit to purchase a handgun, along with any pertinent documentation supporting the need for an exemption."

-----------------------------------------

Inline with that language, the exemption paperwork says it "must" be submitted along with purchase permit application.   My PD asked me to submit the exemption paperwork along with the permit application.

Some PDs seem to take (to hold) previously issued permits along with the exemption paperwork.  Some other PDs seem to type the permits with the exempt handgun details....

"the specific exemption sought and the particular handguns to be purchased." - This seem to have resulted in serial numbers / make / model  etc being required on the exemption paperwork.  Not sure if this is interpreted by some PDs to tie purchase permits to specific handguns for which exemption is sought.

Interestingly 3-4 also suggests that one can take possession of handguns (mentioned in the approved exemption paperwork) either in same transaction or within 30 day period (multiple transactions).

I applied for permits 12/23/2014 at the State Police Sussex Station.

I submitted a MHE 2/17/2015 after my permits check cleared the bank.

The permits were issued 2/27/2015, and and were ready for pickup 3/4.

The MHE is at the Firearms Unit in Trenton waiting for approval.

You must have all the handguns on your MHE reserved/purchased/whatever when you submit it, because you must put serial numbers on the MHE. You can't fill in the blanks later. In my case that would have meant I'd have lined up (and paid for!) everything I wanted before 12/23/2014, and then waited 10 weeks for things to be approved. I will now see how long the MHE approval takes. In 2012 and 2013 it was just a few weeks; no where near as long as permits.

In my view, the whole point of this byzantine and vague set of laws and regulations, along with all their interpretations and misinterpretations, is to make it as inconvenient as possible to acquire handguns. So from the Democrat legislators' and some PD's point of view, the whole arrangement is working just fine and serving its intended purpose.

MHE received by SP (through local PD) on 02/25/2015.  As of today, I am told its still with NJSP Sgt. for aproval.

I'll let you know when mine arrives. If you don't mind, do the same for me.

UPDATE. 

So I finally got a call from my local PD.  The story is he just submitted the OGAM to State PD late JAN.  Now he is saying the application was not approved, nor was it denied.  The reason is you cannot purchase from out of state?  I had dealer/FFL in NJ sign the exception form and I have done this before with no issues.  I'd have to pick up the forms today or tomorrow to be sure what the actual reason is and will update this thread.   This OGAM thing is just ridiculous with the amount crap we have to go through!

Let us know, they have been running 3~4 weeks since they stopped taking the application directly from citizens (3rd quarter 2014). My PD is great they mail it in front of me, others sit on it since they don't want to add the hassle for free IMO. Only issue I ever had was when I sent one in and forgot to sign it. Got a call from LT lenova or something and he wouldn't let me overnight signed copy. He isn't it had to be returned to PD and I had to sign it and they had to resend it snail mail.

BTW my neighbor sent one in 2-9-15 and got it Friday 3-6-15 it was signed 2-26-15.

I'll let you know when mine arrives. If you don't mind, do the same for me.

Called NJSP today and am told that my MHE is mailed out 03/11/15.

So approx 2 weeks on NJSP Sgt desk.

Handed to PD - 01/29/15

PD mailed out - 02/18/15

NJSP Received - 02/24/15

NJSP Mailed back - 03/11/15

PD Received -

you can't apply for pistol permits & exemption at the same time. the permits are supposed to be turned back into local pd with exemption paperwork filled out with serial #'s of the guns

No, this is not correct.

I submitted my P2P applications and exemption paperwork at the same time, approved just fine.

My latest timeline through the NJSP Augusta barracks.

12/23/14 Applied for permits

02/17/15 Permits check cashed

02/18/15 MHE submitted

02/27/15 Permits issued

03/04/15 Permits delivered

03/06/15 1 handgun purchased on P2P

03/21/15 MHE delivered

03/23/15 MHE exercised

Cool. Looks like Augusta Barracks are fast once they cash the checks.

What did you get with the MHE ?

It's my understanding that with NJSP the checks are cashed at the Firearms Unit in Trenton, not the barracks. That's usually my signal they've actually started working on the permits. And that's my clue to send in the MHE (if I have one).

Among other things I got a Sig P220 SAO. At 21', the first four rounds went through the same hole, and the fifth was about 1" away. And take my word for it, I'm not some kind of marksman. I bought this because my instructor at Sig Academy swore by it in the competitions he shot at, usually against all manner of 1911s.

I definitely like it.