Sign in to follow this  
carl_g

Golden bullet new and improved?

Yeah but is it still dirty?  Do the bullets themselves spin inside the cartridge?

OP - Thanks I know what to look for now.

Nick - Dirty doesn't bother me if they're cheap.  I just won't shoot them in the finicky guns.  As far as bullet spinning?  I don't think it matters.

I posted a thorough review of this on a few other forums recently - I have shot 2 or 3 225? rd boxes of this recently and it's AMAZING the difference from just 3-4 years back.  It *REALLY IS* new and improved.

Let me quantify this remark by saying that I realized by March or April 2010 to NEVER BUY REMINGTON RIMFIRE AMMO.  Golden Bullets simply WOULD NOT FUNCTION in my firearms, and when I was told to try Thunderbolts, they sucked just as bad, simply cost more money.  And of course Thunderbolts are lead round nose bullets, so they are extremely, extremely dirty, at least the very-dirty-golden bullets have a jacket covering.

However, with the events of 12/'12, and the ammo problems going even into 2015, I have adopted a Buy Any .22LR You Can (At a reasonable price, only..) and I had the opportunity to buy a decent amount of Golden Bullet 225/500 rd boxes and even a few buckets of bullets.  I didn't expect much at all help from them but as I am very into survival & preparedness I though they might be good for barter in the future or at the very least, emergency use.

As I have moved down to FL and have now built an awesome range and berm on my 30 acres of woodlands, you can imagine that I am shooting much, much more than I ever did before.  Frequently, several times a week sometimes now.  I am also shooting a LOT of .22LR from my 4 .22LR long-guns and 1 .22LR pistol.  So I had to recently use some of my Remington Golden Bullet (new and improved) boxes for plinking because they were some of the cheapest stuff I had left in my "shootable" ammo stash (Vs. my save-only-stash).  I am going to tell you, I was simply amazed at the results.  Not one, ONE, single function in either of my Remington 597s, nor my Savage Mark II bolt-action, and even a few mags in my 15-22.  And the accuracy was quite surprising !  Not necessarily match grade superstuff but very very impressive.

I will be buying any Golden Bullet (New and Improved) ammo I can find now ( for reasonable prices, of course) because I was so impressed with it -- COMPLETELY different than my prior results.

I don't mind the dirtyness.  A good scrubbing solves that. 

I once thought my rifle's barrel was shot out because I was trying to do my usual spring sighting in and was getting 5" groups at 50 yds.  I bought a scope figuring my scope was bad with no improvement.   It turned out to be the ammo.  I'll shoot this stuff if I'm just shooting tin cans but if I'm depending on hitting my target for a clean kill, I'll use the mini-mags I have left.

I don't understand a company's marketing group when they KNOW a product is shit - why maintain the name?  Drop the name, change the product line, give it new graphics and branding (which they did ANYWAY).  Remington Phoenix 22 Rimfire would be a great name - rising from the ashes of the golden bullshit.

Golden Bullet is pretty much what I shoot in all my 22's, even the bitchy ones.  I know people always knock the stuff, but I have yet to have any issues.

This.

Out a few thousand rounds of this stuff I've only had two jams.

But, please guys, don't buy it. It sucks.

I realize no one replied to me and probably just don't care what I have to say - but just to reiterate what I said, I decided to double down on my opinions and findings and I took out another 225rd box of the New & Improved Remington Golden Bullets yesterday, and shot them through my newest and probably least-rounds-through .22LR rifle, the 597 HB.  Again, absolutely flawless performance and pretty surprising accuracy for a dirty, cheap, hollow-pointed bullet.

I will also agree & confirm, dirty as hell.  Whatever it is they use as the whole "golden" bullet coating will easily rub off on your fingertips while loading, and is shiny, glittery, dirty gunk.  Took serious hand-scrubbing to get it off my hands and of course had to clean my gun thoroughly (which I would be doing no matter the ammo).

I totally agree, I'd shoot Mini Mags if that's what was available and if rimfire ammo was plentiful and dirt cheap like in 2010, I'd be buying cases of Federal AutoMatch, CCI Standard Velocity, Blazer bricks, Mini Mags, etc. But the world changed and now Golden Bullets are worth their weight in gold and bullets.

Seriously- eye opening results and complete 180 degree change from the previous Golden Bullets  (And Thunderbolts seem to be in the same boat,  I could detail my experiences with new-issue Thunderbolts if anyone cared.  Much much different than previous TB's but they don't SAY New & Improved on the box, and they are even dirtier than the GB's because of the lead bullet).

• Like 1

I realize no one replied to me and probably just don't care what I have to say - but just to reiterate what I said, I decided to double down on my opinions and findings and I took out another 225rd box of the New & Improved Remington Golden Bullets yesterday, and shot them through my newest and probably least-rounds-through .22LR rifle, the 597 HB.  Again, absolutely flawless performance and pretty surprising accuracy for a dirty, cheap, hollow-pointed bullet.

I will also agree & confirm, dirty as hell.  Whatever it is they use as the whole "golden" bullet coating will easily rub off on your fingertips while loading, and is shiny, glittery, dirty gunk.  Took serious hand-scrubbing to get it off my hands and of course had to clean my gun thoroughly (which I would be doing no matter the ammo).

I totally agree, I'd shoot Mini Mags if that's what was available and if rimfire ammo was plentiful and dirt cheap like in 2010, I'd be buying cases of Federal AutoMatch, CCI Standard Velocity, Blazer bricks, Mini Mags, etc. But the world changed and now Golden Bullets are worth their weight in gold and bullets.

Seriously- eye opening results and complete 180 degree change from the previous Golden Bullets  (And Thunderbolts seem to be in the same boat,  I could detail my experiences with new-issue Thunderbolts if anyone cared.  Much much different than previous TB's but they don't SAY New & Improved on the box, and they are even dirtier than the GB's because of the lead bullet).

Great feedback thanks!

Just picked up a "new and improved" bucket of 1400 for 69.99.

Dicks mt laurel

But they'll probly suck ;)

Just to add to that - I also got two of the New & Improved Bucket o' Bullets of 1400rds for $69.99 @ DSG in early early 2014, right after Christmas I believe.  I made a friend with a worker who did the trucks in the early AM mornings at a DSG and he promised to call me if he came across any ammo - well the next morning at 5AM he left me a message saying he had ammo set aside for me, and when I got there, it was the two $70 buckets of Golden Bullets.  AT THE TIME, I really considered not taking them, as I have had terrible results and of course didn't think it would be worth it.  Let us just say that I am extremely happy I got them!

ALSO- CDNN Sports has regularly been emailing these as a SUPER DUPER ALLEY OOPER SALE, ONLY $149.99 !!!!  so, $69.99 is a veritable bank-robbery.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 8:50 AM, Scrap said:

I've bought several bricks during the shortage. The ones in the first brick are dirty right in the box, like the coating tarnished. I'll wipe down a 100 at a time when I go to the range. The other bricks from that same time frame look fine. When I go, I'll shoot hundreds so the gun needs cleaning anyway. But you have to wipe the bolt face often if you don't want too many jams.

Regardless of it being dirty and the bad reviews, Golden Bullets are one of the few rounds my S&W M&P 22 pistol will shoot reliably. I have a few thousand rounds of two types of Winchester Super X and neither will work in it.

• Like 1