stevenschaffer

glock 17 vs 19

Im thinking of buying a Glock 17. My friend has one and it shoot very nice. He talked me into buying a 17 over the others. But after reading another post (only one hAndgun) lots of people said the glock 19. Can someone school me over the differences.

Is the 17 more accurate and have more recoil control?.

Any suggestions will help a lot. Thanks!

I would just goto a shop and hold both. It really depends on what's more comfortable. 19 might make a better all round gun if you only want one gun. Small enough for carry/hide around the house for HD, good enough for plinking, and recoil isn't that terrible, its not the size of the sub compacts so not like its hard to keep a grip on it. 17 is just a little bigger so might be better if you are caring about accuracy (tho that's a moot point) and recoil impulse will be about the same cause while the 17 has a bigger frame it also has a bigger slide. So kind of evens out and what differences there is isn't very noticeable.

For about 50 bucks more get a 34 over the 17, extended slide, adjustable sights.  May be worth the upgrade, it was for me personally over the 17.

I carried both on a daily basis for about 7 years. I started with a 19 and went to the 17. I found no difference in carrying either concealed or in accuracy. I also found the same between the 19 and 26. There is a difference between the 17 and 26. I was an LEO and didn't have to worry about magazine issues with the 17. I'd get the 19 which IMO is the best all around 9 mm made.

both are great, if LC9 fits your hand you will have no issue with G19. I personally buy pierce grips for my G19's so I can have the finger tip on the frame/mag. G17 is great also. I shoot 19,17 and 34 at glock matches and find the 19 is more accurate to me. not quite sure why but it is a fact that I can point and shoot it easier. 

I second the G22. Get a conversion barrel and a few 9mm mags and you have two pistols in one. I have had 100 reliability with my conversion.

Consider a G22. It's the same size as a G17 but because it's a .40 the standard mags are 15 rounds so no modifications required.

I second the 34. I have the 17 and like it, but for me I can shoot the 34 better. If this is basically a range gun then you get some upgrades in the 34 as stated above. The 34 barrel is 5.3in. and the 17 is 4.5 so maybe that little extra site picture helps.

I think if you are buying only one pistol (which by the way I have heard many people say this and end up with a 24 gun safe) and you are not going to shoot any matches like USPSA, Steel challenge or IDPA then I think the 19 is the way to go.

Also like the small 40sw 22 or 23 (cannot remember which is smaller) and get a conversion barrel, gives you a few other options. You will be happy either way as they shoot great and very rarely ever malfunction

I have both. Hard for me to decide which I like better. I would say though, I find the G19 to be the more versatile. Shoots almost as well as a full size pistol, yet small enough to carry (if you go to other states of course). The G19 is probably the ideal balance when it comes to size vs performance.

I second the G22. Get a conversion barrel and a few 9mm mags and you have two pistols in one. I have had 100 reliability with my conversion.

If we're discussing different calibers, I love my Glock 20 G4...10mm firepower! Plus a soft shooter to boot. [-EDIT - Thanks for pointing out my typo Mr.Stu]

Plus you can get a Lone Wolf conversion barrels so you can shoot 40 S&W and 357 Sig. Plus the conversion barrels work flawlessly [for me].

I have a 17, 19, 26, & 27. I prefer the 19 mainly because of mag capacity. I have small hands and the 19 seems to fit me better. I recently purchased an H&K VP9. My recommendation is forget about a Glock spend a little more for the VP9. I'm at RTSP once a week, if you're ever out that way I can bring all three for you to try if you want. Make it a 9mm range session.

I would prefer the G23 with a conversion barrel.  It can still use the 15-round G22 magazines and can also use the G19 9mm magazines.  This is a great setup.  Throw in a 22 conversion kit and you have quite a versatile kit.  A Glock 22 with a grip chop might be awesome as well.

The day I move out of NJ into free America I will buy either a full-size M&P 9 Pro or a Glock 34 with standard capacity magazines and a US made AK. 

I have a G23 as well, and a lone wolf conversion barrel, great pistol and has been 100% reliable....

As others have stated, go to a range and shoot all the sizes, personally I prefer the larger frame, hits my hand best....

I would prefer the G23 with a conversion barrel. It can still use the 15-round G22 magazines and can also use the G19 9mm magazines. This is a great setup. Throw in a 22 conversion kit and you have quite a versatile kit. A Glock 22 with a grip chop might be awesome as well.

The day I move out of NJ into free America I will buy either a full-size M&P 9 Pro or a Glock 34 with standard capacity magazines and a US made AK.

If we're discussing different calibers, I love my Glock 19 G4...10mm firepower! Plus a soft shooter to boot.

Plus you can get a Lone Wolf conversion barrels so you can shoot 40 S&W and 357 Sig. Plus the conversion barrels work flawlessly [for me].

That would be a Glock 20 to be a 10mm.

I have very large hands, with short fingers. The older generation Glock 19 never worked that great for me because my palm extended past the base of the grip and caused problems with mag drops and insertions. The larger backstraps on the Gen 3/4 version seem to almost eliminate that problem. Still, I much prefer the Glock 17 grip. Currently my only Glock is the G34. It is so easy to shoot well and never misses a beat. Join the GSSF, and get it at $100 less than standard retail prices. 
Unlike Frank (Old School), I have never been able to shoot shorter Glocks as well as the longer ones. 

In my opinion, and this is pretty much the same for the .40 S&W versions of the G22/G23 (and probably the same for the .357 SIG G31/G32 et al) - if you're only going to buy ONE of them, and ESPECIALLY if it's going to be your only gun , you want the G19 (or G23).

They can do nearly everything the fuller-size models can do, in addition to carrying the same ammo with the magazines for the bigger model (I.e. a G19 can use the G19's 15-rd magazine in addition to the G17's 17-rd magazine, and of course the 33-rd extended-use magazine)... but they are easier to fit in the hands of nearly all shooters, can conceal better, are lighter and such, without sacrificing size in the capability department.

What I mean is, in essence, Glock calls the G19/G23/G32 line their Compact lineup - in reality, they are "Mid-size/" guns, the Compact is really Compact SERVICE size... they are not exactly compact guns.  I absolutely love the size of both my G19 (original Gen 2 from the late 1980s) and my G23 ... they are akin to the absolute perfect firearm shape.  

-- Now the full-size guns would probably be better as dedicated tactical, home-defense, service etc. use.  Because they are bigger, with longer barrels, longer sight-radius', bigger grip in the hands, etc.  That would make them more ideal combat (or perhaps competition ) guns but not necessarily better home-owner guns.

I have very large hands, with short fingers. The older generation Glock 19 never worked that great for me because my palm extended past the base of the grip and caused problems with mag drops and insertions. The larger backstraps on the Gen 3/4 version seem to almost eliminate that problem. Still, I much prefer the Glock 17 grip. Currently my only Glock is the G34. It is so easy to shoot well and never misses a beat. Join the GSSF, and get it at $100 less than standard retail prices. 

Unlike Frank (Old School), I have never been able to shoot shorter Glocks as well as the longer ones. 

Like you said Chris I'm sure you have larger hands.

And this is probably a deciding factor in anyone"s selection.

Well you did not say what you intend to use the gun for, so it is hard to answer this.  If you want something a little smaller then the G19 is the way to go.  If you are looking for accuracy and are thinking of competing is things like IDPA or USPSA then go for the G34, it is not all that much bigger than the G17 but the sight radius is which will help your accuracy.

If you are only going to buy one handgun, then the G22 or G23 with the conversion barrel is not a bad route to go as you will be able to shoot both .40cal and 9mm.  Again, it really depends on what you want the gun for.

I have a G23 as well, and a lone wolf conversion barrel, great pistol and has been 100% reliable....

As others have stated, go to a range and shoot all the sizes, personally I prefer the larger frame, hits my hand best....

I've been considering this option. Is there any downside at all to this vs. the dedicated 9mm G19? I wonder why everyone doesn't do it.

Another thing I did to make it more reliable was to use a G19 recoil spring.

I mean it's been 100% reliable

I've been considering this option. Is there any downside at all to this vs. the dedicated 9mm G19? I wonder why everyone doesn't do it.