Dr.Jimmy Rustler

Can't decide on a 9mm

rented both, gen4 Glock19 or HK VP9. I already have a Glock 21 and am looking for a 9. I learned how to shoot on a glock but I loved how the VP9 felt in my hands. The only problem with the gun is the magazine release. I'm worried that using the HK magazine release is gonna mess up my muscle memory when I use my glocks. I'm also working on becoming a police officer and I'm already planning to use the G21 as my service pistol. I did just apply for two permits so worst comes to worst I can buy both but I'm not sure what I wanna do. 

This might seem like a bunch of rambling but to sum it all up. 

-Want a 9mm

-Have G21

-Hate VP9s magazine release

-Don't like the PPQ

Get the Glock. Great guns. I had and sold mine but only because I stepped away from 9.

For a more comfortable gun (obviously subjective) with a worse trigger (almost all would agree) get a Smith and Wesson M&P 9/9c. I have the 45 and although the trigger sucks, it is an awesome gun. I shoot it like a revolver and do well with it.

Good luck with it.

Christopher

My first choice would be Glock but I also (briefly) owned a Sig P226 MK25 - it was absolutely awesome, a dream gun really.  They are worth way more than their price, just amazing firearms.  I realized I really wanted the Desert model, and sold mine to buy the Desert model, then needed that cash immediately for something else and got a bit screwed, so I don't have a new Sig to replace it (yet, but there is plenty of time I hope for that.)

But I really came to Love Sigs ... if I only owned Glocks and Sigs , I would be perfectly happy, and to be honest, Glock, Sig, and S&W are my 3 (pistol) companies really, and those 3 make me amazingy happy- all are just awesome guns.  my M&P Shield is like the best CCW gun you could ask for, love it.

Glock, Sig, or S&W M&P.

rented both, gen4 Glock19 or HK VP9. I already have a Glock 21 and am looking for a 9. I learned how to shoot on a glock but I loved how the VP9 felt in my hands. The only problem with the gun is the magazine release. I'm worried that using the HK magazine release is gonna mess up my muscle memory when I use my glocks. I'm also working on becoming a police officer and I'm already planning to use the G21 as my service pistol. I did just apply for two permits so worst comes to worst I can buy both but I'm not sure what I wanna do. 

-Want a 9mm

-Have G21

-Don't like the PPQ

Take it from someone that has lots of different guns, you are better off to stick with one platform.  For you that is probably the Glock.  That way you have a common grip angle, identical (or at least similar) trigger pull, and with the Glock standardization of the vast majority of parts.  Keep in mind this is a do as I say not as I do, as I fondled a VP9 and am thinking of adding one.  I did find the mag release to be rather awkward though.  The grip feels as if they said close your hand and then they poured the gun into your hands, I'll give them that.

The Sig 320 may be worth looking into. Sig reliability and striker fired. It also has some interesting versatility in both size configurations and calibers. While I'm typing this, I realize I'm selling myself on the idea. 

hmm. guess I'll have to shoot more 9mms lol. I hadn't even considered the browning high power or any of the sigs. I've already shot a CZ-75 which is kind of like the high power right?

The Hi-Power has a better trigger but comes with a magazine disconnect which many choose to remove, easy to do and worth it.

Not sure what budget you have in mind but Novak, Cylinder n Slide, Don Williams, and Ted Yost do excellent custom Hi-Powers if you want a match grade pistol.

Try and find someone or a shop that has a HP in stock so you can compare it to the CZ-75, they are different and some like the CZ over the HP or vice versa.

Try and find someone or a shop that has a HP in stock so you can compare it to the CZ-75, they are different and some like the CZ over the HP or vice versa.

And if you want a polymer gun, check out the p09 which is a full length polymer cz or the p07 version 2 which is the compact cz. Version 2 has front cocking serrations and replacable backstraps to tell it apart. What's nice is that they come with 15rd magazines standard. The older p07 had 16rds so you would have to get the neutered 10 rd mags.

Take it from someone that has lots of different guns, you are better off to stick with one platform.  For you that is probably the Glock.  That way you have a common grip angle, identical (or at least similar) trigger pull, and with the Glock standardization of the vast majority of parts.  Keep in mind this is a do as I say not as I do, as I fondled a VP9 and am thinking of adding one.  I did find the mag release to be rather awkward though.  The grip feels as if they said close your hand and then they poured the gun into your hands, I'll give them that.

I tend to agree with this logic since OP will be using it for work.

He has no idea what he will use for work. He has not been hired yet and most agencies in NJ don't let you choose your duty gun.

If it's a work gun probably a Glock or Sig, but you are right most Dept's do not let you buy and use personal sidearms unless (I've been told) you qualified with that weapon.

-Want a 9mm

-Have G21

-Don't like the PPQ

Do yourself a favor, try the following guns in 9mm before you buy - either at a range (rent them) or with a friend who has one:

Sig Sauer - P229 - Elite (due to the beavertail)

Sig Sauer - P226 - Elite or the 226 MK-25 (fantastic gun)

CZ75 - SP-01 (better than the 75BD you already shot) Tack driver!

Beretta 92FS - Old faithful.

Hope this helps.....