JohnnyB

How much ammo is enough ammo!

There are countless YouTube videos and commentaries about how much ammo we should keep on hand

for a SHTF scenario. Being a realist and trying to use common sense, I don't think I could ever go through

20,000 5.56 rounds.  Others say a minimum of 1,000 rounds in your main defense calibers, 9mm, .40, .45, 5.56 etc.

I could agree with the latter, and even that's a lot of ammo!!!

I feel that most here have more common sense than on the Internet as a whole where an awful lot of whack jobs live!

What do you guys feel is a good minimum amount of ammo we should always stock in case the SHTF???

I try to keep at a minimum 1k rounds on hand of my main calibers (9mm, .40 and .223). And being that I reload, I try to keep at least another 1k of supplies on hand for each of my main calibers. I have had up to 4k of each at one point.

I agree with 1K and have surpassed that with 5.56 and many times that with .22s. If you think about a true SHTF situation, I am talking a power grid shutdown, civil unrest, and the other more possible scenarios.

Think about what could or would happen! Who or what are you going to shoot? If you used your ammo in self defense, and needed thousands of rounds, what would you do with all the rotting bodies?

You won't need to kill 100 deer as they would all be wiped out rather quickly!

It seems to me, a sensible amount of ammo and a MUCH greater emphasis on lots of water and food are more key to survival in the long run. Fuel for your generator is also a consideration. Yet many spend a small fortune for large ammo stores that they could never use! Even if you consider bartering the ammo. Unless I knew the person very well, why would I give him ammo to kill me with and just take all I have?

I am not saying any of this is going to happen, but I believe it is good to prepare in case it does.  I do not have the money to buy enough food for 10 years for my entire family, or even 3 months!  I am the only person

in my extended family of say 50 people who is even trying to prepare for a disaster. They all tell me that they will just come to my house if something happens and I believe them! I don't want to hear "just shoot them" as I

love each and every one! I try to convince them to buy a little extra food and put it aside each week but they all think I am nuts.

Size your stash for your needs.  You won't need as much as I would but I have machine guns and beltfeds to feed.  1K rounds would be 10 minutes for a handful of people learning to control machine guns.

That advice makes perfect sense to me! But who truly knows what their needs would be since we have never had to face this challenge.

I respectfully question the training for and use of full auto in a SHTF scenario. Is spray and pray useful with limited ammo, even if you had 50K it's still a limit? Chances are you won't be facing an Army regiment in such a situation so why waste the ammo? I don't think in terms of 1776 happening again since it's actually a very slight probability as compared most other SHTF scenarios. If an Army tank rolls down your block and stops at your house, shooting at it, even with FA would most likely end up bad for you and all of those with you. The goal here is survival, not dying! Live to fight another day!

Size your stash for your needs.  You won't need as much as I would but I have machine guns and beltfeds to feed.  1K rounds would be 10 minutes for a handful of people learning to control machine guns.

doesn't the avg machine gun fire around 500 rpm? that would mean that 1k rounds would only be TWO minutes?

That advice makes perfect sense to me! But who truly knows what their needs would be since we have never had to face this challenge.

I respectfully question the training for and use of full auto in a SHTF scenario. Is spray and pray useful with limited ammo, even if you had 50K it's still a limit? Chances are you won't be facing an Army regiment in such a situation so why waste the ammo?

You are posting in the wrong section... go here for tin foil fantasies: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/forum/170-nj-prepared/

I respectfully question the training for and use of full auto in a SHTF scenario. Is spray and pray useful with limited ammo, even if you had 50K it's still a limit? Chances are you won't be facing an Army regiment in such a situation so why waste the ammo?

Suppressing fire has its place especially when you consider that survivors of real SHTF situations have said groups of raiders were not uncommon.  

doesn't the avg machine gun fire around 500 rpm? that would mean that 1k rounds would only be TWO minutes?

Closer to 600-800rpm.  The AM15 .22LR I have is closer to 1200rpm.  The minigun I will build eventually, well, that'll hopefully have a variable motor so I can dial it down to 1200rpm or all the way up to 8k rpm should the need/desire arise.

Civil unrest type shtf I want at least 10k rounds of my most used calibers. Because who knows how long it will last. It gives you the ability to help arm your neighbors(militia), gives you a bartering item in the future when other people run out of ammo, and overall it's easy to store and hide around your property.

But who truly knows what their needs would be since we have never had to face this challenge.

We don't know precisely how much we would need but I'd rather have more then not enough. 1k rounds seems like way to small a number if you are truly preparing for shtf. I've shot 1k rds. of 223 in one range trip, and close to that in 9 and 12ga.

You are posting in the wrong section... go here for tin foil fantasies: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/forum/170-nj-prepared/

I resent your rudeness and recognize that an admin may, and probably will move this thread to 1A! This is a question about ammunition posted in "ammunition and reloading".  I do not own a tinfoil hat and people

like you who do not believe that a SHTF situation could possibly occur, and refuse to prepare for it "just is case" are my worst nightmare!

Civil unrest type shtf I want at least 10k rounds of my most used calibers. Because who knows how long it will last. It gives you the ability to help arm your neighbors(militia), gives you a bartering item in the future when other people run out of ammo, and overall it's easy to store and hide around your property.

We don't know precisely how much we would need but I'd rather have more then not enough. 1k rounds seems like way to small a number if you are truly preparing for shtf. I've shot 1k rds. of 223 in one range trip, and close to that in 9 and 12ga.

I really think at 10K per caliber, the food and water would run out long before the ammo! Unless you can afford that much food and water, and live in a fortress, some situations are just not survivable!

I really think at 10K per caliber, the food and water would run out long before the ammo! Unless you can afford that much food and water, and live in a fortress, some situations are just not survivable!

Obviously if you are buying ammo for shtf you already have your food and water needs taken care of....water catchment system or a natural source. MREs, dried food, seeds for growing, and a garden already setup and producing food.

But as I said IMO 1k rounds of ammo is not enough for shtf.

Obviously if you are buying ammo for shtf you already have your food and water needs taken care of....water catchment system or a natural source. MREs, dried food, seeds for growing, and a garden already setup and producing food.

But as I said IMO 1k rounds of ammo is not enough for shtf.

johnp,       

With this weather and cold temps, how can I have a garden already setup and producing food? Inside or greenhouse?  I have seeds and water but no way can I afford to stockpile food for years, I have enough for a short time! I have a yard that is 100' by 50' hardly big enough to feed a large family.

What you have to answer is, what kind of SHTF are you talking about...hunker down at home or bug out...only so much you can take with the latter.

Hunker down is the best option until you can't do it any longer. Bug out is a last resort!

Pistol calibers are good for up-close defense. For apocalyptic scenarios you will also need rifle rounds. Hunting is much easier with a rifle.

To answer your question, your best bet is to have a cache of ammo components and a loading press, rather than finished rounds. You can reuse brass and even powder from rounds which you can not use.

If you have 1k of 9mm, 40 and 45, you are in position to scrounge these widely available calibers. If you also have 5.56 and 30-06, you have the most popular rifle rounds as well.

The only round I would stockpile in larger qty is 22lr since it is not reloadable and is arguably the most versatile survival round.

Best survival action is to have a group of like minded and prepared neighbors/families. A loner can not carry enough ammo to overcome anarchy.

I really want to see someone schlep out with a couple rifles, a bunch of handguns and 1k rnds for each.

I don't think that's even possible in a bug out situation! Unless you were the Incredible Hulk! Even then, no room for food or water in that BOB!!!

There are countless YouTube videos and commentaries about how much ammo we should keep on hand

for a SHTF scenario. Being a realist and trying to use common sense, I don't think I could ever go through

20,000 5.56 rounds.  Others say a minimum of 1,000 rounds in your main defense calibers, 9mm, .40, .45, 5.56 etc.

I could agree with the latter, and even that's a lot of ammo!!!

I feel that most here have more common sense than on the Internet as a whole where an awful lot of whack jobs live!

This "whack job" doesn't cry when there is no ammo on the shelf or prices go up 50%.

We've had ammo shortages on and off for the past 7 years. Mostly on. You should have learned by now to keep a couple years of ammo on hand so you don't have to worry about finding ammo to shoot or paying ridiculous prices.

Those preppers are crazy...no wonder I can't find CCI Mini-Mags. Save some for the rest of us! :)

But on serious note, I keep 1k rounds of range ammo for each of the calibers I shoot. If you want to buy more, well hey it's your money. Different strokes for different folks.

For SD ammo I keep 100 rounds each for my SD firearms, which I have never had to use.

I agree with 1K and have surpassed that with 5.56 and many times that with .22s. If you think about a true SHTF situation, I am talking a power grid shutdown, civil unrest, and the other more possible scenarios.

Think about what could or would happen! Who or what are you going to shoot? If you used your ammo in self defense, and needed thousands of rounds, what would you do with all the rotting bodies?

You won't need to kill 100 deer as they would all be wiped out rather quickly!

It seems to me, a sensible amount of ammo and a MUCH greater emphasis on lots of water and food are more key to survival in the long run. Fuel for your generator is also a consideration. Yet many spend a small fortune for large ammo stores that they could never use! Even if you consider bartering the ammo. Unless I knew the person very well, why would I give him ammo to kill me with and just take all I have?

I am not saying any of this is going to happen, but I believe it is good to prepare in case it does.  I do not have the money to buy enough food for 10 years for my entire family, or even 3 months!  I am the only person

in my extended family of say 50 people who is even trying to prepare for a disaster. They all tell me that they will just come to my house if something happens and I believe them! I don't want to hear "just shoot them" as I

love each and every one! I try to convince them to buy a little extra food and put it aside each week but they all think I am nuts.

You're a voice of reason. 

Needless to say if the S really HTF we wouldn't go out target shooting, so no need for 10k rounds of .22 per year. There's so much uncertainty in that scenario anyway. Most of us would starve to death. Those who didn't would be by necessity cannibals trained in preserving human flesh.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a squirrel between here and Scranton. I would think investing in fishing gear would be smart, but even then after a few months the only living thing in our ponds and rivers would be bacteria and green scum.

No point preparing for SHTF unless it's very short lived which by definition is not SHTF. It would be something else, like piss hits the fan, snot hits the fan, spit hits the fan, air hits the fan.

Some of you bring up some good points, but some food for thought.

U have an idea how much 1k rounds of ammo weighs? You ain't carrying it.

You survive the first year, the second year, the third year... And so on. When will your supply run out?

People don't think to store bird shot, lots of birds for the eating.

Some of you bring up some good points, but some food for thought.

U have an idea how much 1k rounds of ammo weighs? You ain't carrying it.

You survive the first year, the second year, the third year... And so on. When will your supply run out?

People don't think to store bird shot, lots of birds for the eating.

I'm not goin' anywhere if SHTF besides the six minute drive from my house to my shop.  Which is where 99% of my ammo is.  I keep a few hundred rounds at home but that's it.  At last count, I had 10K rounds of XM193I for the mk46, a couple cases of PMC, and a couple cases of PPU.  Then three 40mm ammo cans of reloaded .223 plus components to load another 10K.  I haven't inventoried my .308 lately but at last count, I had 2k AP, a few hundred TAP, a few cases of surplus FMJ, and components to load another 2K AP and 2500 TAP.