JohnnyB

How much ammo is enough ammo!

I'm not goin' anywhere if SHTF besides the six minute drive from my house to my shop.  Which is where 99% of my ammo is.  I keep a few hundred rounds at home but that's it.  At last count, I had 10K rounds of XM193I for the mk46, a couple cases of PMC, and a couple cases of PPU.  Then three 40mm ammo cans of reloaded .223 plus components to load another 10K.  I haven't inventoried my .308 lately but at last count, I had 2k AP, a few hundred TAP, a few cases of surplus FMJ, and components to load another 2K AP and 2500 TAP.

Thats good to know cuz your shop is only 2 minutes from my house  :sarcastic:

I'm going to go with, there's never enough. Honestly, if you can afford it and it's a good deal, what;s the reason to NOT stock up and save it? Worst case scenario you bug out and take what you can. Best case scenario you have plenty to defend your home/family for years to come. 

Unfortunately right now I'm in an apartment so my storage capabilities are limited. I still am stocking what I can in case it's needed. If I had a house and room to reload then I would think if there's room for more ammo and I had the cash, I'd make it.

As I stated in my original post. Common sense!!! To have enough ammo to defend yourself for years to come but in reality, if you don't have enough food and water

to last for the same period then what good is all that ammo???  If I have 2,000 rounds of 5.56 at a cost of 30 cents a round and a bottle of spring water costs 30 cents,

Where is my money better spent??? I will most likely never use a tenth of that ammo in a limited SHTF but I sure as hell will use that water.

Once again I emphasize the use of common sense, store plenty ammo and even more water and food since thirst or starvation will most like happen long before we run out of ammo!!

Most likely scenarios will last a few weeks to a few months at the most. If a SHTF goes on for years, nobody will survive, or very few! My guess is the guy who elected for less ammo than

20,000 rounds and an extra few years supply of water and food will fare better than the ammo hoarder!

As I stated in my original post. Common sense!!! To have enough ammo to defend yourself for years to come but in reality, you don't have enough food and water

to last for the same period then what good is all that ammo???  If I have 2,000 rounds of 5.56 at a cost of 30 cents a round and a bottle of spring water costs 30 cents,

Where is my money better spent??? I will most likely never use a tenth of that ammo in a limited SHTF but I sure as hell will use that water.

Once again I emphasize the use of common sense, store plenty ammo and even more water and food since thirst or starvation will most like happen long before we run out of ammo!!

Completely agree! I probably have more cases of water then ammo. Nourishment should be #1 requirement to survive. 

Completely agree! I probably have more cases of water then ammo. Nourishment should be #1 requirement to survive. 

Good attitude!  Many say that nobody can survive alone. Like minded armed neighbors need to to pull together in a SHTF situation. Personally, even though I have lived in the same house for 35 years,

I don't know if any of my neighbors are armed or how they prepare if at all for any disaster! I am not going door to door and asking them either.  I would assume most of us are on our own in such a

situation. Most of my neighbors do not know that I have guns and ammo in my home, I keep that private and I would assume others feel the same! So it's hard to build coalition given this atmosphere of thinking.

You shouldn't store water for longer then a year. Your better of storing food and water to last you a year, anything longer is better obviously. after a year if its bad enough most people will be dead. Your given area, unless secluded to the woods will be reeking with digust. You will be forced to re locate to sanatary areas no one is inhabiting.

Unfortunately right now I'm in an apartment so my storage capabilities are limited.

20,000 rounds in neatly stacked boxes + tablecloth sized to just reach the floor = attractive and functional end table.

Putting aside the SHTF aspect for hoarding, I purchase ammo when I see a good deal for the simple fact that a new Presidential election is on the horizon and don't want to be put in the unenviable position of considering $1.00/9 mm or $2.15/.38 range ammo and empty shelves......and no, reloading is not an viable option for me.

I don't shoot as much as I would like but now have enough ammo to last several years of visits to the range.

I find this topic a little off the wall. But in due respect to the question, my wife has already approached me about a bug-out bag. I said I'd make one for her, but I'm staying and defending my home.
If it is meant that I die, I will die fighting. This is my home and I will defend it anyway necessary! Because if you don't, there will be NOTHING to come back to.
I have enough ammo to last quite awhile. Water, (incidently, if you have a pool, cover it and use it if necessary)... An 18 foot round pool for example will yield over 8000 gallons of water. What can't be had, can be accumulated. Sand bags are cheap, head to the highest room of your house and form a stronghold. Weapons, knives, cross-bows, whatever floats your boat. But my philosophy has always been a weapon for every scenario at the ready. Close quarter combat, room clearing, long distance, etc.... I've got them all.

What, huh? What happened honey? Wake the hell up and get back to work dear...It was just a dream, no apocalypse yet...  ;) Ehem... OK, I'm awake now. What did I say? OMG, Sleep Typing Again! hehehe...

Suppressing fire has its place especially when you consider that survivors of real SHTF situations have said groups of raiders were not uncommon.  

Closer to 600-800rpm.  The AM15 .22LR I have is closer to 1200rpm.  The minigun I will build eventually, well, that'll hopefully have a variable motor so I can dial it down to 1200rpm or all the way up to 8k rpm should the need/desire arise.

gotcha. i was more thinking of the old aircraft mounted 50 cals at 500 rpm. most of the bomber crews used to go for hours with anywhere from 1k to 1500 rounds per gun.....most fighters had about that or less.....so essentially 2 minutes total firing time. it always amazed me that those guys fought with such small amounts and survived. i know they fired bursts....but still......can you imagine being the top turret gunner in a running fight that's lasting for even just 15 minutes?

I feel that most here have more common sense than on the Internet as a whole where an awful lot of whack jobs live!

What do you guys feel is a good minimum amount of ammo we should always stock in case the SHTF???

Speaking of "common sense", how about "common sense gun legislation" and recent attempts to ban ammunition in an attempt to achieve disarming the American people. To think that the intent of the progressive left is anything other than nefarious would be rather naive. No tinfoil needed.

Water filtration, sustainable sustenance, and a metric shitton of ammo.

gotcha. i was more thinking of the old aircraft mounted 50 cals at 500 rpm. most of the bomber crews used to go for hours with anywhere from 1k to 1500 rounds per gun.....most fighters had about that or less.....so essentially 2 minutes total firing time. it always amazed me that those guys fought with such small amounts and survived. i know they fired bursts....but still......can you imagine being the top turret gunner in a running fight that's lasting for even just 15 minutes?

As my late father, a radio operator / gunner on a B-17F in WWII said, it was hours of tense sheer boredom punctuated by minutes of pants-shitting terror.

As my late father, a radio operator / gunner on a B-17F in WWII said, it was hours of tense sheer boredom punctuated by minutes of pants-shitting terror.

That's the greatest description I've ever heard.

The way I see it. Some form of government will exist after a while. They will have water and food to provide to a dagree.

Yes but to whom? People who they can rely one or people they dislike? To inner cities that threaten to riot or the quiet suburbs? When there is not enough to go around, priorities shift rapidly.

I find this topic a little off the wall. But in due respect to the question, my wife has already approached me about a bug-out bag. I said I'd make one for her, but I'm staying and defending my home.

If it is meant that I die, I will die fighting. This is my home and I will defend it anyway necessary! Because if you don't, there will be NOTHING to come back to.

I have enough ammo to last quite awhile. Water, (incidently, if you have a pool, cover it and use it if necessary)... An 18 foot round pool for example will yield over 8000 gallons of water. What can't be had, can be accumulated. Sand bags are cheap, head to the highest room of your house and form a stronghold. Weapons, knives, cross-bows, whatever floats your boat. But my philosophy has always been a weapon for every scenario at the ready. Close quarter combat, room clearing, long distance, etc.... I've got them all.

What, huh? What happened honey? Wake the hell up and get back to work dear...It was just a dream, no apocalypse yet... ;) Ehem... OK, I'm awake now. What did I say? OMG, Sleep Typing Again! hehehe...

"Remember the Alamo" wonder what happened to those guys that tried to defend a fort. Probably constructed a little better out of Adobe, than a modern stick built structure. Piss poor idea, if someone wants what's in your place they can get it. Drive a dump truck through it, or burn it down.

"Remember the Alamo" wonder what happened to those guys that tried to defend a fort. Probably constructed a little better out of Adobe, than a modern stick built structure. Piss poor idea, if someone wants what's in your place they can get it. Drive a dump truck through it, or burn it down.

Could care less. I'm taking the enemy with me... I go down, then so be it....

The wood in my house is so petrified, you cannot easily drill into it. So better bring a tank! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could care less. I'm taking the enemy with me... I go down, then so be it....

The wood in my house is so petrified, you cannot easily drill into it. So better bring a tank! ;)

One flaming cross bow arrow with a glass cigar tube of gasoline from a long distance away would be all anyone needs.

One flaming cross bow arrow with a glass cigar tube of gasoline from a long distance away would be all anyone needs.

Still don't care. Btw, people seem to think driving away in their little highway tanks is a better option. Everybody will bog the roads down. Just as easily to choke point a vehicle and take you where you stand. I live in suburbia. No place to hike to. We may not be any better off than the Alamo, but you better have hein sight to know what's coming and skedaddle before they get there.