scarecrow

Cataract Operaton

Just and FYI for anyone with cataracts contemplating the operation. You would not believe how quick and simple it is. Remove cataract insert new lense. Takes 15 minutes. Total time spent at surgical center was just under 2 hours. And they have a new procedure where they inject your eye with a solution so you don’t have to do eye drops before or after the operation. I can see better already and vision will continue to improve over next few weeks. Very glad I had it done.

Glad to hear the good news!  I will probably need mine done when they get worse and really start to distort my night vision. 

The part that freaks me out is being awake for the operation and actually seeing what they are doing.  Did they offer to sedate you?

Regardless, I am glad had a good experience ;)

Is lens replacement offered to correct vision (far sightedness) or just cataract correction? How much if you dont have ins.?

The part that freaks me out is being awake for the operation and actually seeing what they are doing.  Did they offer to sedate you?

I can't speak specifically to cataract surgery, but after reading about the procedure, I would assume that the pre-operative/operative procedures are the same that I experienced when I had a large pterygium removed. Yes, you are conscious for the surgery, but prior to surgery they inject a local anesthetic directly into the optic nerve. My friend who was a surgical nurse freaked me out by describing a 4" long needle that is inserted under the eye into the optic nerve. What he didn't tell me was that they knock you out with a short acting general anesthetic to administer the local. Once you are conscious, they do the surgery. All you can see are blurred shapes and colors - nothing is distinct and they also apply a topical anesthetic to the eye - so there is no pain involved at all.

Cataract surgery is much quicker and more specialized than what I had done. The old lens/cataract is dissolved with ultrasound and suctioned out and the replacement lens is implanted. My surgery required a scalpel to cut out the section of the cornea with the pterygium. A section of the cornea was also cut from up under the eyelid and that piece was grafted to the cornea where the pterygium was - that took about three times the amount of time that cataract surgery does.

I have cataract surgery to look forward to also, but that is down the road a ways yet. All part of getting old(er). Fear not.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You can get lenses that will improve your vision. They cost extra and slightly longer procedure and more pre-op testing. I just went for standard mono focal which will give near perfect distance vision.Mostly because I will still need glasses to see out of my other eye. I too was freaked out about seeing what the doctor does during operation bur fear not. All you see is undentifiable objects and colors. Sedation is mild, you can still hear and follow instruction. No pain of any kind what so ever. Cost is about $3,500 my insurance will pick about $1,500 yours may vary. If you got to pay it on your own they told me about $3,000. My benefits were changed to a higher deductable recently. Not complaining, glad I that I have them. I used Eye Associates SurgiCenter of Vineland. Every one there was super nice and a very well run place. Can't say enough good about them.

Pizza Bob is also right on the money with his info. Bottom line like he said, fear not. It's amazing the advancements they have made

I had it done last July. No big deal. I also took the standard monofocal lenses. Doc wanted $5,000 extra for the multi-focal lenses. If you're getting it done do a little research. Some people say it takes a period of time for your eyes to adjust

to the multifocal lenses and there are some who say that they never adjusted.

I still need reading glasses but you can get them at Walgreens - no big deal.

When I took Pop to the eye doc two weeks ago cataract patients were walking out of the surgical center down the hall every 15 minutes. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost? Or did you have insurance?