dobie

Hi Point 995

My next purchase is going to be the Hi Point 995TS. I like the idea of having a rifle that fires typical handgun ammo since I already have a lot of that. Question now is 9mm or 40SW.

Leaning toward the 40SW but need to hear from other owners. Thanks

9MM would be my choice.  Pistol caliber carbines are great to plink with.  Unless your set on the Hi Point or constrained by budget, I would look into other options as well. Not particularly please with Hi Point quality or function. The bolt / extractor system used on this carbine is less than sturdy / reliable.

Recommendations welcome

9MM would be my choice.  Pistol caliber carbines are great to plink with.  Unless your set on the Hi Point or constrained by budget, I would look into other options as well. Not particularly please with Hi Point quality or function. The bolt / extractor system used on this carbine is less than sturdy / reliable.

I've had one for about 8 years. No issues with a few thousand rounds through it. 100% reliable and shoots 3-5" groups at 100 with just about any 9mm ammo. Ugly and feels cheap but delivers. You can spend more for a better looking pcc if you want.

You can spend 3x as much on either a KelTec sub2000 or a Beretta CX4...

I was however bummed to find out that the HiPoint only comes with a single stack mag.  Most people that have a HiPoint Carbine mention that it functions fine.  The carbines seem to have a much better reputation than their handguns.

I found a great deal on a used 995-original stock which was missing the charging handle. I spent more on the new handle, transfer fees and NICS then I did for the gun. It's a fun shooter. I've tried multiple bullet weights as well as +P ammo and have had no problems. My only complaint is the sight cheek slap when shooting, it's an easy fix though.

Buy. Shoot. Enjoy.

I bought the 995 9mm about 8 years ago on impulse shot it, hated it, the original stock sucked. Back then ATI made a replacement stock it looks like a Beretta CX-4 rifle, after that hands down best cheap fun rifle I own, with only a cheap red dot you can knock down shotgun shells at a 100 yards all day long. She has thousands of rounds and never had an issue. Back then the best $190 out the door rifle I bought.

I have both the 995TS carbine and the C9 pistol and after a little break in period they both run flawlessly. The magazines are the weak point as in they cause the most problems. I have one mag (out of 3) for my carbine that causes feed issues, I polished the feed ramp on my C9 pistol and it shoot flawlessly now.

I have the Hi Point 9mm & 40 S&W carbines and they are great.  No problems at all with either one. Also have the KelTec 40 S&W and its a good shooter as well but the Hi Points are  much more accurate.  Good luck.

I have a 40 caliber version. Works flawlessly. 3 yrs old and 8000 round love the lifetime warranty

Parts are easily found if needed.

If I had to do over again I would go with 9mm as being cheaper then 40 and standardize ammo to one or two calibers

That just my preference.

Rifle mags and pistol mags are the same. Another advantage