mikka1

Any information about Scranton PA area? Possible move...

It seems that something I've been dreaming of for a long time is becoming reality, at least partially, LOL...

There might soon be a 6-months temp position (with some potential to extend / convert to perm later on) for me in Scranton PA area, and I am pretty much set on pulling the trigger and jumping on it.

It is still only 2hrs from both New York City and Philadelphia, so not that big of a move (and I like it very much). I checked the area out when I went for an interview there and I totally loved it (well, at least visually). My job will likely be in Moosic PA or a little closer to Wilkes-Barre. I really know nothing about the area except that there are mountains around, LOL, and apartment rent prices are easily 2x less than in Newark NJ area for similar properties.

That said, some questions to you, folks - abstract and practical:

1) Any insights about Scranton area are more than appreciated - I haven't even started looking for an apartment there (I still have some time before I start), so hints on what areas to avoid / prefer are very welcome. I scrolled through NEPA section on city-data.com forums already and have some understanding that it is better to avoid Scranton city center itself, but will very much appreciate other insights. (edited for added clarity: I am in my late 20s, will be renting there, likely 2-3br apt or a part of the house; school is also a concern as my son will go to school this fall...)

2) (stupid question) NJ Registration is due on my car in the end of this month, so I really have the following options:

- Extend it for 1 more year (I still have NJ inspection until 03/16) now, keep NJ plates, change the DL to PA one, potentially get some tickets for driving improperly registered car in PA, get rid of the car completely in 2016 (or reregister it in PA then)

- Get temp PA plates in the end of March, surrender NJ plates, get perm PA plates when I establish residence there, get PA inspection. Probably the cheapest way, but lots of running around

- Extend it for 1 more year in NJ, as soon as I establish residence in PA (in 1 month), change plates to PA perm ones and get PA inspection. The easiest way, probably, but will lose annual NJ reg fee.

I am frankly favoring option #1 (no hassle at all unless pulled over), as for many years I haven't been pulled over even once, so IMO there is a relatively slim chance to get busted with NJ plates and non-matching PA DL. Do you think it's a stupid way of doing things? (not a legal standpoint, just practical)...? Any other thoughts why I should or should not do this? (I was once walking in an apartment complex parking in Charlotte NC and I swear more than half of residents' cars there had non-NC plates (NY/VA/NJ/PA/SC/FL and counting...), so I guess I'm not the only person in the country doing this...)

Thanks!

(Too early to congratulate me yet, you will when I finally move, LOL :-) )

Scranton is a dump, or at least it was in 2001 when I went to college there. College kids, crackheads, and then the projects right where the college housing ended (they planned on buying it up so look into that). Wilks-Barre was much nicer, but I'm not familiar with the schools.

Do you plan on getting a CCW? You can't without a PA license. Honestly the change in auto insurance price should more than offset the cost of vehicle registration anyway.

You need to stay out of Scranton proper, bad news.  If your in Moosic there are a couple of nice areas around there.  The Wyoming Valley as it is called  is a tired mining based area. With mining long gone, it is a depressed area with a mix of good people and not so good people.  Avoca, Duryea, Dupont, down to Pittstown have areas that are lower middle class families struggling to get by.  My family is from Plains and Miners Mills and I still have friends there.  I don't know of many apartment complexes around there as most renters move into apartments made out of the larger older homes.  It is way different from Essex County and will take some homework to find out what areas fit your needs.  I have no knowledge about schools in the area so little help here.  The west side of the Susquehanna River has some nice towns also, Forty-Fort, Swoyersville, Wyoming and Exeter, again family orientated.  The area between Wilkes Barre and Scranton maybe your best bet if your in Moosic. 

Worked in the Wilkes barre area for two plus years. Like post before. The west side of of the river is nicer, like forty fort.

Dopes in downtown Wilkes barre too. But there are two colleges there so a few places to eat and hang out. Best bet is some place between Scranton and WB. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone!

Well, I guess very little can surprise a person who grew up on outskirts of Moscow, Russia and then moved to a place a couple of miles from Newark, NJ :-) But I'll be keeping an eye on where to settle.

And as a kind of continuation of the previous question - if I expanded the area radius to, let's say, 20-30 miles from Scranton itself (to make it still reasonably commutable), what are the areas I might look at (that are not right next to Scranton, but maybe a little further...). Maybe I'm missing some hidden gem there?

BTW, I liked the township of Moscow, PA there (it's around 7 miles from Scranton, I think). Would be quite funny to settle there and answer a question of where I am from... :)

Expanding your circle to 20-30 miles of Scranton puts you in the boonies in most cases.  Just a bit outside if you know what I mean.  Now your looking a renting a house and all that goes with it.  Travel into the valley from the mountain areas can be an experience if your not up to it.  Moscow to Moosic is a big "u", no way to get down the mountain except interstate or Route 307 from Daleville, which is nasty in winter. Can't emphasized it enough, be careful, while living on the mountain is nice, it can be a living hell in the wintertime.  You will need snow tires, trust me.

T Bill, thanks, I already got the point with tires - I went there last week for an interview and it was completely dry in the morning, so it took me around 1h 40m to get there. Snow/rain started quickly in the afternoon and it took me almost 5 hrs to get back to Newark + a couple of episodes when I might have well ended up wheels up in a ditch... RWD is definitely NOT for winters there, LOL

Scranton is a dump, or at least it was in 2001 when I went to college there. College kids, crackheads, and then the projects right where the college housing ended (they planned on buying it up so look into that). Wilks-Barre was much nicer, but I'm not familiar with the schools.

Do you plan on getting a CCW? You can't without a PA license. Honestly the change in auto insurance price should more than offset the cost of vehicle registration anyway.

Went to school in Wilkes-Barre for two years, there's some pretty shady areas there too. One night I decided to walk to my car on the other side of the river because the college's shuttle had already stopped for the day. It wasn't too late, 9-10pm at the latest and only around 1 mile walk, I was strongly advised by both campus police and the cadre from ROTC detachment to never do that again. 

Anything is better than Newark NJ, except maybe Camden. RUN don't walk away from here. Remember if you can make it in Newark, you can make it anyplace! The toughest guy from Scranton wouldn't last 10 minutes, walking down Avon street in Newark after dark... anywhere you go out there is an improvement in multiple ways.

My sister in-law owns a house in Gouldsboro. Nice small town with a gun shop. Not to far south of Scranton (1/2 hour) just off 380.