jackandjill

Franklin Twp PD - Cannot transport to range without FPID

http://www.franklintwpnj.org/government/departments/police/firearms-applicant-information/firearms-faq

"My relative is deceased and I have inherited his firearms. Am I required to obtain a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun to take possession of them?" ....

"Note: Although you are not required to possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card to inherit 
firearms, you WILL NOT be able to transport, purchase ammunition or fire the weapons at a qualified firearms 
range unless you possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card."....

:facepalm:

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.13 Firearms passing to heirs or legatees

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of this subchapter concerning the transfer, receipt or

acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card

shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to their heir or

legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. A person so

acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:54-

1.5 and 1.6.

(b) If an heir or legatee is not qualified to acquire a firearm, he or she may retain ownership of

the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period of 180 days, which period may be extended by the

chief of police or the Superintendent. During such period the firearm must be placed in the custody

of the chief of police or Superintendent.

© In the case of assault firearms or machine guns disposition shall be in accordance with

N.J.A.C. 13:54-5.

f.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)     A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2)     A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3)     A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)     Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)     Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

My understanding is you need the FID if you're transporting any LONG GUNS around OTHER than directly to or directly from the range. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall that being the case. For example, I haven't seen any part of the law that requires you to carry a FID to take your gun to the shop to have it repaired or any of the other reasons we are so generously allowed by NJ law to have the firearm in our vehicle. Just section g applies in terms of how you encase it and keep it being unloaded.

I think the only thing a FID does is allow you to purchase a long gun. Doesn't seem to serve any other purpose.

I think the only thing a FID does is allow you to purchase a long gun. Doesn't seem to serve any other purpose.

Your FPID allows you to transport long guns outside the specific exemptions in the statutes. It also allows you to buy handgun ammunition.

Your letter may have worked. Doesn't seem to be there.

I wish the change was that fast. Its still there http://www.franklintwpnj.org/government/departments/police/firearms-applicant-information/firearms-faq .

I did receive an email this morning from a town officer requesting particulars. I provided them. Lets see.

http://www.franklintwpnj.org/government/departments/police/firearms-applicant-information/firearms-faq

"My relative is deceased and I have inherited his firearms. Am I required to obtain a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun to take possession of them?" ....

"Note: Although you are not required to possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card to inherit 

firearms, you WILL NOT be able to transport, purchase ammunition or fire the weapons at a qualified firearms 

range unless you possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card."....

:facepalm:

Does the State of NJ require "qualified firearms ranges" to supply the names of the attendees AND their SBI#s?

Does the State of NJ require "qualified firearms ranges" to supply the names of the attendees AND their SBI#s?

"....annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further

that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in...."..

Doesnt say anything about what details are to be included in that "list". Doesnt say anything about

if the person in question have to be member or to be on that list submitted etc..

If the person in question has to be a member and to be on that list, then it opens another set of interesting questions...

Even so, the portion about range in FAQ is about firing at the said range. They seem think "transport" itself is illegal (WILL NOT BE ABLE) without FPID.

I am less concerned about some verbiage on the website, and more about what other officers in the PD are trained / told about transport. And if this is coming from Chief / Local Prosecutor or Town Attorney, they got bigger problems.

"

Even so, the portion about range in FAQ is about firing at the said range. They seem think "transport" itself is illegal (WILL NOT BE ABLE) without FPID.

I am less concerned about some verbiage on the website, and more about what other officers in the PD are trained / told about transport. And if this is coming from Chief / Local Prosecutor or Town Attorney, they got bigger problems.

Yeah, still there. Under the inherited from a deceased relative question. I didn't se it initially.

And your concern is also my concern. If I happened to be driving through that town, or some other town working off the same bad information, I don't want a cop arresting me because he happens to see my shotgun and ammo in the back seat of my pickup. Makes we want to keep a printed copy of the law with me...and maybe Evan Nappen in my back seat. Unreal what we have to deal with.

And it would be nice if the NRA with its significant resources would, if advised of this sort of thing, would have one of their attorneys write a formal letter to PD's that make this sort of bad info public. Maybe they do but I'm not all that confident they'd get involved.

Yeah, still there. Under the inherited from a deceased relative question. I didn't se it initially.

And your concern is also my concern. If I happened to be driving through that town, or some other town working off the same bad information, I don't want a cop arresting me because he happens to see my shotgun and ammo in the back seat of my pickup. Makes we want to keep a printed copy of the law with me...and maybe Evan Nappen in my back seat. Unreal what we have to deal with.

If you have a ANJRPC membership card it is actually prnted on the back.

My understanding is you need the FID if you're transporting any LONG GUNS around OTHER than directly to or directly from the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if i'm correct, with your fPid, you can have your long guns stored in your vehicle pretty much from now till the end of time. as long as they're secured as per the statutes.

And it would be nice if the NRA with its significant resources would, if advised of this sort of thing, would have one of their attorneys write a formal letter to PD's that make this sort of bad info public. Maybe they do but I'm not all that confident they'd get involved.

this. i'm still convinced that they consider us a lost cause here.

I don't recall that being the case. For example, I haven't seen any part of the law that requires you to carry a FID to take your gun to the shop to have it repaired or any of the other reasons we are so generously allowed by NJ law to have the firearm in our vehicle. Just section g applies in terms of how you encase it and keep it being unloaded.

I'm going by what I heard Evan Nappen say ...as I understood it anyway.

if i'm correct, with your fPid, you can have your long guns stored in your vehicle pretty much from now till the end of time. as long as they're secured as per the statutes.

Here, debate it with Evan Nappen lol

Here: debate it with Evan Nappen: