diamondd817

Glock 43 (Single Stack 9mm?)

I tried a g43 at the range today and it was a nice shooting gun with the exception of the trigger finger pain I had by the end of the session.  I have a vp9 with a similar "safety trigger" and it does not cause me any discomfort compared with my time with the g43.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes, the six rounds relatively stinks. But, if you carry a revolver it isn't so bad to your way of thinking.  I don't think Glock really wanted to make this, but they have been steadily losing market shares.  Just maybe they should listen to what their customers want.  However, I think that they fell from the mark.  They should have come out with a Glock 19-sized single-stack. 

Getting back to the mag capacity...  However that capacity issue will most likely be addressed by Pearce, or even Glock later down the line with mag extensions of some kind, especially for tactical reloads. I cannot say I wouldn't mind having one of the new Glocks, but with experience in both platforms I agree the S&W M&P Shield is a better product.  It has a better stock trigger than a Glock. The Shield doesn't rub my finger pad the wrong way like Glocks do. Is the hinged M&P trigger perfect? No, but not bad at all on the new M&Ps, and better than the Glock style of trigger, any day. The M&P slide is made from stainless steel which I consider better than the Glock magazine and has high quality stainless magazines and metal sights, which I am guessing the new Glock doesn't come stock with either. S&W had its Shield plentifully available on day one and holsters and other support for it, etc., and for many it has much better ergonomics than a Glock. And lately, it now comes with or without the thumb safety, and it can be had with 2-4 extra mags for the same price as the Glock. And it can hold more rounds than the Glock. It seems to be a little larger than the new Glock and might be harder to conceal for some because of the way it is being carried, but it is closer to what many believe the ideal gun size is, that of the Glock 19, And, the thickness is really the most important element of concealed carry. I would like to see a Glock 19-sized one, a long-slide Shield and/or Glock.   Really, the only complaints I have with the Shield are that when it initially came out it could only be had with a thumb safety, that it is too slippery without additional modification, especially when it isn' t too suited for pocket carry (and that can be addressed with grips, etc.), that the paint on the sight dots is poor quality to say the least, and that the underside of the trigger guard should have a larger groove for your middle finger. But, the Shield's big plus is that it handles much more like a full size handgun and give the size of the new Glock, it cannot compete in that area, although maybe with a grip extension. If one won't agree that the M&P is a better engineered and better quality handgun, one would have to agree that the Shield is a better value, especially now with the exaggerated prices on the new Glock. And I have to fault Glock for not listening to the customer and not getting the single-stack out sooner. Maybe it was only released because they have been losing too much market shares because they don't seem to respond to the customers that much (hey why mess with something that works).  Oh wait, I said that earlier. I think the 380 came out first solely to sell more guns. Many people who jumped on and bought the 380 really wanted the 9mm and will now buy it. If it came out first, the sales for the 380 would not nearly had been as much. And, I think Glock should have come out with a single stack the size of a Glock 19, instead, but they are smartly releasing this one first knowing that people will buy this FIRST and then they will buy the larger single stack 19-sized one later on, which will hopefully alow them to use those larger capacity mags in the current smaller singl-stack 9mm. Lastly, I think S&W is remiss for not releasing a double-stack Glock19-sized "semi-compact"that would give the G19 a run for its money. The Shield and the 43 are two different animals. I choose the M&P for my purposes in NJ as the preeminent carry gun.  Maybe if I could live in a state where I could carry, the Glock would be a striker-fired consideration, if only because it is more pocketable than a Shield, but there seems to be better options if  you want a strickly pocket gun than this newborn Glock.

Yes, the six rounds relatively stinks. But, if you carry a revolver it isn't so bad to your way of thinking.

However that capacity issue will most likely be addressed by Pearce, or even Glock later down the line with mag extensions of some kind, especially for tactical reloads. I cannot say I wouldn't mind having one of the new Glocks, but with experience in both platforms I agree the S&W M&P Shield is a better product. It has a better stock trigger than a Glock. The Shield doesn't rub my finger pad the wrong way like Glocks do. Is the hinged M&P trigger perfect? No, but not bad at all on the new M&Ps, and better than the Glock style of trigger, any day. The M&P slide is made from stainless steel which I consider better than the Glock magazine and has high quality stainless magazines and metal sights, which I am guessing the new Glock doesn't come stock with either. S&W had its Shield plentifully available on day one and holsters and other support for it, etc., and for many it has much better ergonomics than a Glock. And lately, it now comes with or without the thumb safety, and it can be had with 2-4 extra mags for the same price as the Glock. And it can hold more rounds than the Glock. It seems to be a little larger than the new Glock and might be harder to conceal for some because of the way it is being carried, but it is closer to what many believe the ideal gun size is, that of the Glock 19, And, the thickness is really the most important element of concealed carry. I would like to see a Glock 19-sized one, a long-slide Shield. Really, the only complaints I have with the Shield are that when it initially came out it could only be had with a thumb safety, that it is too slippery without additional modification, especially when it isn' t too suited for pocket carry (and that can be addressed with grips, etc.), that the paint on the sight dots is poor quality to say the least, and that the underside of the trigger guard should have a larger groove for your middle finger. But, the Shield's big plus is that it handles much more like a full size handgun and give the size of the new Glock, it cannot compete in that area, although maybe with a grip extension. If one won't agree that the M&P is a better engineered and better quality handgun, one would have to agree that the Shield is a better value, especially now with the exaggerated prices on the new Glock. And I have to fault Glock for not listening to the customer and not getting the single-stack out sooner. Maybe it was only released because they have been losing too much market shares because they don't seem to respond to the customers that much (hey why mess with something that works). I think the 380 came out first solely to sell more guns. Many people who jumped on and bought the 380 really wanted the 9mm and will now buy it. If it came out first, the sales for the 380 would not nearly had been as much. And, I think Glock should have come out with a single stack the size of a Glock 19, instead, but they are smartly releasing this one first knowing that people will buy this FIRST and then they will buy the larger single stack 19-sized one later on, which will hopefully alow them to use those larger capacity mags in the current smaller singl-stack 9mm. Lastly, I think S&W is remiss for not releasing a double-stack Glock19-sized "semi-compact"that would give the G19 a run for its money. The Shield and the 43 are two different animals. I choose the M&P for my purposes.

I'll take the Pepsi challenge with my Boberg XR9-S to that M&P anytime. The worst part about the gun is you can buy 2 M&P's and a few boxes of ammo for the price of the Boberg. But I guarantee you'll love shooting it if you dig the M&P.

So those who own the g43, how are you liking her?

I got one last week, and only shot it twice... it's nice.. i like the size, but need a little more in the grip.. currently waiting on a Rubber Talon grip to put on it... the capacity is not my favorite, but hopefully higher capacity mags will come out soon..

shoots good... trigger takes getting used to, since it's a smaller gun.. the trigger is heavy, so i find myself pulling the shots a little to the left, until i really concentrate and slow trigger pull, then i'm POA/POI ... 

I'll take the Pepsi challenge with my Boberg XR9-S to that M&P anytime. The worst part about the gun is you can buy 2 M&P's and a few boxes of ammo for the price of the Boberg. But I guarantee you'll love shooting it if you dig the M&P.

Hmmm... I would rather have two American-made M&P Shields, though, instead.  Or options with the new Glock and a Shield.

Hmmm... I would rather have two American-made M&P Shields, though, instead. Or options with the new Glock and a Shield.

I would still rather have one hand made, designed, and built, completely American Boberg, (White Bear Lake MN). I've shot the shield, I'm not a fan of any M&P triggers. I like the fit and finish of the rest of the M&P line, just can't get used to the trigger. I'll probably get a G43 next round of permits as well. I would like to try an M&P shield with some trigger work done to it. Or any M&P with trigger work. I may like it better than what I've shot in the past.

You mentioned the shield having a better trigger than the glock, how so? I like my shield but I noticed on my trigger return the s&w reset has something like a ghost reset and then the real reset comes right after. Where my glock 22 just has a nice solid reset and that's it. There is a you tube video showing this better than I can describe. I love my glocks, if the g43 had at least one or 2 more rounds I think alot more people would be happy, and the competition would have to worry, 6 rounds not so much. I also think glock needs to ditch the cheap plastic goal post style sights.

You mentioned the shield having a better trigger than the glock, how so? I like my shield but I noticed on my trigger return the s&w reset has something like a ghost reset and then the real reset comes right after. Where my glock 22 just has a nice solid reset and that's it. There is a you tube video showing this better than I can describe. I love my glocks, if the g43 had at least one or 2 more rounds I think alot more people would be happy, and the competition would have to worry, 6 rounds not so much. I also think glock needs to ditch the cheap plastic goal post style sights.

I agree completely about the M&P trigger compared to the glock. I love the reset on the Glock. The M&P trigger reset is inferior in comparison imo. This is the only thing that keeps my safe void of any M&P.

I agree completely about the M&P trigger compared to the glock. I love the reset on the Glock. The M&P trigger reset is inferior in comparison imo. This is the only thing that keeps my safe void of any M&P.

Installation of an Apex DCAEK will fix that problem for ya.

You get a trigger that has a very Glock-like reset but has a nicer overall feel than any stock or enhanced Glock trigger I have ever shot.

And, for the record, I am a Glock-fan and shoot them almost exclusively.

Installation of an Apex DCAEK will fix that problem for ya.

You get a trigger that has a very Glock-like reset but has a nicer overall feel than any stock or enhanced Glock trigger I have ever shot.

And, for the record, I am a Glock-fan and shoot them almost exclusively.

Thanks, I have multiple Glocks myself, I prefer their triggers too. My VP9 is pretty great when it comes to the trigger also.