Sign in to follow this  
InFamous

ZVS 9mm 124 Grain ammo.

Has anyone shot this ammo? The reviews sound pretty decent but I was wondering how dirty it is?

Price on sportamansguide is one of the lowest also.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/50-rounds-zvs-9mm-luger-124-grain-fmj-ammo?a=1545200

584458_ts.jpg

Thanks all!

Dick's has Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ in 50 round boxes for $11.99. Why take a chance on what could be a lesser ammo

for a name brand at the same price???

Don't pay tax through sportsmansguide and it's not logged into a book for PRNJ to see if needed? I'm not taking a chance just yet...that's why I'm asking :) I usually buy PMC but the ZVS is about $2 cheaper per box when available. I also try and get 124 grain for my HK when I can instead of 115...so this ammo intrigued me.

Don't pay tax through sportsmansguide and it's not logged into a book for PRNJ to see if needed? I'm not taking a chance just yet...that's why I'm asking :) I usually buy PMC but the ZVS is about $2 cheaper per box when available. I also try and get 124 grain for my HK when I can instead of 115...so this ammo intrigued me.

Do you really think the PRNJ is ever going to go through the 10s of thousands of handwritten pages in Dick's books and ask you to give back the ammo?

Don't you pay for shipping or a premium to become a member to get a break on shipping charges?

It never hurts to buy it locally when it's a good deal and you take it home yourself!

Do you really think the PRNJ is ever going to go through the 10s of thousands of handwritten pages in Dick's books and ask you to give back the ammo?

Don't you pay for shipping or a premium to become a member to get a break on shipping charges?

It never hurts to buy it locally when it's a good deal and you take it home yourself!

I am a member yes, but I buy other stuff besides ammo that makes up for the membership cost. So that point is moot. Also I do buy some ammo local, but why should I put all that I purchase out there for everyone to know? We can get into a discussion if our wonderful government will use those books against us all we want but the point is that it's logged regardless if we want it to be. This isn't a discussion for what PRNJ can see and what not...I was only asking if anyone has shot this ammo before and if it's dirty or not. 

I'm sure at some point we discussed this particular type of ammo here (ZVS 124gr), but I can't find that thread.

My bottom line - I was not really impressed by it, but I can't really explain why. It just didn't work for me (no, it didn't have any FTE/FTFs, but I had a strange feeling I don't shoot it as accurate as some other brands), but I generally prefer 115gr.

BTW, again it's strict IMO, but I find Remington UMC the second dirtiest 9mm ammo widely available - I was dumb enough to buy almost 1000 rds of it from Walmart a year ago, and I still have a lot left as I just can't shoot it. Maybe it's just me, but a month ago I heard the very same thing from another guy at RTSP USPSA match, so I guess my initial impression was somewhat true.

On a practical note, I personally strongly prefer:

1) Winchester White box 115gr. Normally at Walmart for ~$26 per 100 rds. Very clean, I like it

2) Freedom Munitions remanufactured 115 gr ammo - I think it totals to around $10+change per 50 if you order 500 or more - they used to have free s/h campaigns quite often before. I personally think it's absolutely not worse than any factory new ammo available.

If you're looking specifically for 124gr Ammo, look at SGAmmo

http://sgammo.com/product/geco/1000-round-case-9mm-luger-124-grain-fmj-brass-case-ammo-geco-made-hungary

Comes out to $12.05/box after shipping or 24.1 cents/round.

Geco is more well known ammo - decent enough.

I've shot thousands of rounds of ZVS 115 & 124, never found it to be more/less dirty or reliable than other new ammo.  An advantage to it is it is packaged in smaller-sized boxes/trays than other brands, making it easier to store.