scotty456

9mm Ammo Questions

I just bought my first firearm (9mm Walther PPQ M2) and am really happy with it thus far.  However, I obviously need to start looking into ordering cheaper ammo online vs. buying it in the store and paying a premium for it.  I've checked out gunbot.net, slickguns.com, and ammoseek.com, and it seems like there are a lot of possibilities for paying as little as $0.19 - $0.21/round (vs. around $0.35/round that I paid when I bought it at the local store).

The only problem is, I have no idea what I'm looking at in terms of the differences, how to compare, or what might be best both in terms of my status as a beginner and in terms of keeping my firearm in good condition.

The ammo I currently have is federal 9mm 115gr fmj (if that helps - it's what I bought when I purchased the firearm), but am open to suggestions (and would actually heavily appreciate suggestions).  

Thanks!

I have used bulkammo.com before for ammo purchases without issues. Generally it is best to avoid most re manufactured ammunition from these sites as there are a few horror stores floating around about case failures, apparent double charges or squib shots that end bad. You are pretty much safe ordering the large factory brands (Federal, Winchester, Remington, PMC, Blazer Brass). Some ammo runs more dirty then others, but generally, as long as your not running +p+ loads (overpressure ammo) or something crazy, factory ordered ammunition wont have any adverse effects over the lifespan of a firearm. When ordering factory ammo for blasting I'm usually comfortable going with PMC or Blazer Brass and order at least 1k at a time.

The biggest thing your gonna see is the more you order, the less you will pay. The reason that you are paying a lot a the range is because if you show up with no ammo you have to buy from them. Ranges normally try to turn large profits on ammunition sales. 

Your Walther will handle any of the common weight bullets, 115grain, 124grain, and 147grain. 115 grain is most common and cheapest for range ammo. Order FMJ (full metal jacket) ammo for range practice as there are no travel restrictions on in it New Jersey (i.e. you can drive around with boxes in your car). Remember the stupid NJ hollow point restrictions though. Hollow points are what you want for home defense. They are legal, but you are limited to traveling to and from the range with them. Since you are entrusting your safety with them,do not make the mistake of not testing your gun with them. Bring a box to the range every once in a while and shoot with them. The bullet nose profile is difference than FMJ and can feed differently, so it should always be tested for function. And they are usually loaded hotter than range ammo, so it is good to know what to expect. 

I generally avoid steel cased ammo, but other than that I will shoot any 9mm ammo through my pistols. 

IMO - Any commercially made ammo (FMJ) will work just fine.  Some (as effd did above) will suggest staying away from re-manufactured ammo, but I have shot a bit of it and didn't have any issues (to be fair, the vast majority of people don't have issues with it).  Others have had an issue with it here and there. 

Federal, Remington, Winchester, CCI Blazer Brass, Aguila, Fiocchi, Magtech, PMC, Speer Lawman, Sellier & Bellot, etc..   all decent enough brands.. 

CCI Blazer (aluminum) has also worked with no issue for me so far. 

For re-manufactured brands (typically cheaper) - I have used Freedom Munitions, Georgia Arms, High Country all without issue.  LAX Ammo is also a fairly well thought of brand for reman ammo.  Others may have used brands that I havent mentioned. 

For me (and only me), I tend to run the first couple hundred rounds in a new pistol with standard commercial boxed ammo just to "break it in"..  Let it work any of the kinks out, so to speak..  Then once that period is over, i have no problem using reman ammo for general range use. 

As lunker pointed out, 115 gr is the most common and cheapest "weight" ammo for 9mm.  124 gr is also somewhat common, but usually just a tiny bit more $..  147 gr is heavier, slower ammo and typically less common and even a bit more $...  My suggestion is to buy some of each weight and see what you prefer shooting the best.  Some swear by 147, others prefer 124...  Honestly, i almost exclusively shoot 115 gr since its cheapest to buy, but my HD ammo is 135 gr EFMJ (i.e. Hornady Critical Duty). 

I won't even get into the FMJ/TMJ v. JHP discussion yet..  lol..  (JHP is hollow point, as lunker also mentioned)..   

Just my 2¢...   Others will have other ideas. 

Some (as effd did above) will suggest staying away from re-manufactured ammo, but I have shot a bit of it and didn't have any issues (to be fair, the vast majority of people don't have issues with it).  Others have had an issue with it here and there. 

Just for me to clarify, I am not saying I would completely stay away from re manufactured ammo, I have shot many boxes through my guns before I started reloading myself. Just here and there you may hear a few stories of bad re manufactured. A lot of the common re manufacturers can be pretty reliable such as the ones DSD mentioned

Pretty much anything will feed...

If you're looking for non reloads and non steel or aluminum cased, the price per round goes up a bit but it's still not too bad now.

Personally I like shooting 124gr more than 115gr.  It's less snappy.

http://sgammo.com/product/geco/1000-round-case-9mm-luger-124-grain-fmj-brass-case-ammo-geco-made-hungary

Comes to about 24 cents/round shipped, which isn't too bad

Same price for CCI Blazer Brass 115gr - http://sgammo.com/product/cci/1000-rd-case-9mm-cci-blazer-brass-115-grain-fmj-ammo-5200

Don't discount reloading. 9mm brass can be had cheap or free. Bullets are not a lot of money especially if you are not averse to shooting lead. Primers and powder are starting to loosen up.

Initial investment is a bit tall, however it will pay itself off especially if you begin branching into other calibers. For me, it's probably my favorite part of the hobby.

C

I shoot anything at the range, mostly 115 or 124 grain.  For competition I stick with the heavier 147 grain as I find it less snappy which lets me get back on target faster for follow-up shots.  You are probably best off with 124 as some guns do not cycle correctly with the lighter 115, YMMV.  Freedom Munitions has some good pricing on both new and reman, I typically stick with new.  Currently their 147 is only 24 cents a round.  You should watch for when they have sales.  Typically they have 5% off selected ammo, and other times they offer either free or $5 unlimited shipping.  Obviously the more you buy the cheaper it gets, especially when you have more to allocated against the shipping.  Generally you'll get the best price in lots of 500 or more rounds.

(Order cost + Shipping)/RoundsOrdered = Cost per round. Compare prices on manufacturers and sites mentioned above. All are worthy. Don't forget to figure in shipping. It is significant.

Freedom Munitions is reman ammo. My wife and I have shot 5K+ rounds in four different calibers with no higher issue rate than what I've seen in the new brands. (And that rate is VERY low. Like 1 per 2K rounds.) When they have a free shipping offer (and they do) their ammo will be the cheapest in cost. Get on their mailing list.

TargetSportsUSA.com bulk prices are usually in line with the least expensive web sites, but on case lots there is free shipping via Fedex. Do the math above for comparison.

And some of these sites will require an image of your FID on file before they will ship to you. Some will not. 

Good to see you're using that ammo search engines...thats a great first step! Check out the forum thread on retailers who ships to NJ problem free.

Although you can get steel ammo cheaper (the cheap commie ammo), I stick with brass as notice it cycles smoother.

I buy both reman and new "name brand" ammo. Whatever's the cheaper deal.

A lot of forumites eschew reman ammo. I used to be one of them...not any more. I shot thousands of rounds of Freedom Munitions reman ammo (they also have new ammo), and had ZERO problems. Why spend a lot of money to shoot paper? I have not ordered reman ammo from anyone else, so cannot comment on other retailers.

Initially order mostly 115g FMJ for the range, as that the cheapest, also add a few boxes 124 and 147 grains to see which weight you prefer.

I would also buy some "hotter" range ammo like S&B, Fiocchi, or Lawman in order to simulate self defense ammo, as most of your self defense ammo runs hotter (I use Hornady Critical Duty). Also don't forget to practice with your self defense ammo once in awhile.

Good luck and congrats on your new hobby!

NOT TRUE!  They offer both reman and NEW ammo.

Yes, that is true. I only referenced the reman because it's typically 6-7% less cost than their new brass, and I am primarily interested in price.

Is it still "new" ammo if you take new brass and your regular reload stuff and load it yourself in your own press?   :)

I'd still call it a reload...

That would go against the definition of the prefix "re".  I think a better description would be hand load, as opposed to robotic-ally loaded.  The penalties for marrying an English professor. :)

See what your documentation says.  Mine recommends brand names, no steel, no p+, no reloads, no Russian ammo ("low quality control") and no S&B ("dirty").

For range, I used to buy 115 gr but now prefer 124.  For HD - 147.  Brands I used - Remington, Federal, Winchester, Blazer, Speer Lawman, Hornady.  The only problem I ever had was one FTE with Blazer.