blksheep

Home insulation question.

Hey there guys,

Looking for anyone that can replace the insulation in my basement and crawl space. Dont have the time but it needs to be done sooner than later. Before I go hunting the yellow pages I thought Id offer it here first. Located in New Egypt, Ocean County. Part of the basement is a duckwalk and crawlspace. Just out with the old in with the new kind of job.

Rick

^ there is DYI spray foam insulation kits you can buy. it can be a little messy but IMO spray foam insulation is the way to go. I will be replacing the insulation in my entire house with the spray foam insulation. only issue with spraying an entire house is if you do it really well you may need to add a ERV unit to bring in fresh air from outside because the house can be so air tight that the air gets stagnant. 

Depends on the size of the application those diy kits can be more expensive than a sub.

Erv is dependent also. If the house is fairly active( coming in and going out. Window open on cool summer nights etc)

But spray foam by far is the way to go in my 20 plus yrs of experience.

Im doing my house room by room when I have the cash so the dyi kit is the way to go for me. I may have north pole spray the attic though. If I were doing the entire house all at once I would definitely higher a crew  

I had my attic done by HomeDepot back when 0bamba was giving cash for everything.  Think I got a $1,500 tax credit for doing it.   I chatted quite a bit with the guy doing the work and he was telling me about all the scams going on where he would be sent out to do government jobs and they were supposed to put in lots of insulation and they put almost nothing.  He made it up for me, as rather than filling my attic with a foot of blown in fiberglass he put in two feet or more of the stuff.

Two types of spray foam, open and closed cell.  Best left to the professionals.  It must be mixed properly and sprayed on in 2 inch layers.  I would do some research as there are a lot of negatives with improperly applied foam, some related to health issues.