Sign in to follow this  
AlexC

Mistyped date on my P2P

I applied for 3 permits back in December 2014. The officer asked me to review the permits to see if they are in order and everything looked fine. I used the 2 permits and when I started to think about the 3rd one I found that the date on the permit was December 2015. The officer informed me that in case I wasn't able to use any of them I can come back and he'll extend it for me. Should I call them to inform of the mistake or should I just wait until the end of the year and use it as is? Would this be breaking some law? I'm thinking of calling but I'm pretty sure they'll tell me to come in and have it fixed - which I'm willing to do anyway.  

How could you possibly use it? Date has to match 4473. Would not pass muster during an ATF inspection.

They should just reissue with correct date of Dec 2014 and then extend them. Surprised the State Police did not call the FFLs that accepted the first two. Either way it's not your fault. The store should have caught it.

Just use it.

The issuing authority (PD) dated it December 2015 and as long as you didn't tamper with the permit it's legally valid and good to go.

A lot of PD's seem too lazy or busy to check and ask the applicant to check the permits before leaving with them.

How could you possibly use it. Date has to match 4473. Would not pass muster during an ATF inspection.

They should just reissue with correct date of Dec 2014 and theN extend them. Surprised the State Police did call the FFLs that accepted the first two.

No, if he waits until December and uses it no issue.

It was issued and dated that way by the PD, so assume it's valid and think nothing of it ;)

And what do you mean by "date has to match 4473"? if he uses the permit in December the 4473 will also be dated December 2015 so that's a non-issue.

And why would NJSP FIU call the FFL who accepted the first two permits? the permits are legal, valid and used accordingly. Now if he tried to use the December permit before December I could see NJSP FIU questioning it but otherwise why would they?

No its not. Needs to match 4473. People are giving you the wrong advise.

No, you are not getting it.

The 4473 must be dated at the time of sale/transfer, if the permit is dated December 2015 and he uses the permit in December and the 4473 is dated December it's fine.

The OP hasn't violated any law and if he wants to use the permit (assuming it's dated valid for December 2015) and waits he should be fine.

Never said he violated any laws. The store made the mistake in accepting the permits without getting him to have the date corrected.

Well a copy is returned to the PD after the sale so if anything peaks interest he should be hearing from them soon I would think.

I am under the assumption that the first two permits used had the same issue date of Dec 2015 as the last one. The OP did not state whether the first two were the same. If they are not, then there would be no reason for the State Police to call the FFl. Why is such a big deal to not just get the last one corrected?... especially since he already contacted them about it.

Hi - I need to clarify - 2 of the 3 permits were correctly dated December 2014, the ones that I used, and they were fine. I was only wondering about the 3rd, if I should take it back to the local PD or just use it as it is later in the year.

THAT would be a bad idea IMO!

Using the permit BEFORE December will generate a visit or call from NJSP and the PD who issued it.

But if he can wait until December he is legal and good to go.

Yes Carcano, that's what I meant.. :)

Hi - I need to clarify - 2 of the 3 permits were correctly dated December 2014, the ones that I used, and they were fine. I was only wondering about the 3rd, if I should take it back to the local PD or just use it as it is later in the year.

That's good news Alex. Everything is making more sense now.

You never saw that it said 2015. Use it.

Selective vision and memory if questioned? :D

Using it before December is going to raise major questions, many FFL's might believe it's a forgery.

NJSP and ATF knocking on the door isn't exactly fun (especially unannounced) ;)

It's funny how they hold FFL's accountable for mistakes, but local PD can make them all day long Lol.

Look at the multiple purchase reporting requirement, if you buy 2 or more pistols within a certain time frame the FFL is supposed to send a form to ATF but most NJ FFL's are unaware of it since it's not common for someone to buy 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. pistols at once. If they fail to send the form in ATF can recommend license revocation.

Blame the FFL...sad but true.

Actually I didn't know Smith & Wesson made a commie caliber 9x18 pistol until my PD issued my permits, they pre-typed the info since it was for a mutiple purchase...you would think they would have known it was 9x19 not 9x18 considering they carried them for years :D

Look at the multiple purchase reporting requirement, if you buy 2 or more pistols within a certain time frame the FFL is supposed to send a form to ATF but most NJ FFL's are unaware of it since it's not common for someone to buy 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. pistols at once. If they fail to send the form in ATF can recommend license revocation.

Blame the FFL...sad but true.

Actually I didn't know Smith & Wesson made a commie caliber 9x18 pistol until my PD issued my permits, they pre-typed the info since it was for a mutiple purchase...you would think they would have known it was 9x19 not 9x18 considering they carried them for years :D

Lol..maybe I'll change my name here..;)

I can't believe this topic has grown to ~30 answers.

PDs make mistakes in P2Ps.

I had several P2Ps with various mistakes (not in dates though, but in some numbers, in employer name etc.). They just cross incorrect things out with pen, write a correct thing above and sign there.

Hell they extend permits in our PD just by writing a new date and signing in presence of applicant (without filing it to any database or so).

Just go to the PD and ask them to correct this obvious mistake if you want to use this permit now.