ECsandstar

Insurances for valuables

For those of you who have different insurances (home owners, renters, dwellers, etc...) whatever it may be, do you insure your or your significant other's jewelry and valuables against theft, fire, water, damages, loss, miscellaneous disappearances, etc? Do you have a separate insurance plan or policy to cover valuables like that or do you incorporate them into your current policies? I am contemplating getting a separate insurance policy specifically for our valuables, but not sure if its worth it or if im just being overly cautious. If you do use a separate policy or coverage for valuables, what or whom do you use? Thanks in advance!

- Mike

On a side note, can one also insure their guns on a similar policy that would cover against theft, fire, water, damages, loss, etc... ? Anyone do that? Of course, you would then have to disclose what you currently own...which i know most are not privy to.

Look at www.historicfirearms.com

$125 annual premium for $35,000 unscheduled collectibles limit and no single item exceeding $10,000 with $100 deductible

Firearms are probably covered under homeowners/renter's insurance also, but $125 seemed reasonable to me for extra piece of mind.

All my firearms are itemized for coverage under my homeowners insurance, they are coverred when in the house only (stolen, fire, etc...).  My wifes engagement ring is coverred under my homeowners insurance when in or out of the house, so if it's lost or stolen outside it is still covered.

I've always wondered about this. 

How do you guys itemize your valuables? I have a blanket 15k policy for renters insurance but they never asked me to itemize... 

I was thinking about doing a spreadsheet but don't want to waste my time if insurance wont accept it in the event of fire or theft.

How do you guys itemize your valuables? I have a blanket 15k policy for renters insurance but they never asked me to itemize... 

I was thinking about doing a spreadsheet but don't want to waste my time if insurance wont accept it in the event of fire or theft.

Do yourself a favor and get that squared away pronto...years ago I was robbed and they took almost everything of value, down to dvd's...the renter's insurance from geico fucked me hard because the only time they asked for an itemized list of what we owned was after the burglary. Ultimately I was the one who lost out, and I was cut a miniscule check for compensation...

I sent my insurance company a list, item name (ie: Stag model 8), serial #, retail value (gun + accessories).  My insurance company does not require a receipt for any single item under $10k.  However they do adjust the premium depending on the total value of all itemized items.

We have riders on our Homeowner's Insurance policy for selected jewelry items and several other valuable personal property items.

I also am interested in obtaining insurance for my firearms, in case of accidental damage due to carelessness or fire, ultimate destruction or theft.

Many homeowner's insurance policies do not automatically cover firearms and one has to specifically add a rider to cover them. Even with these riders, most homeowner’s policies have very low firearm coverage amounts. Also, some companies frown upon gun ownership and will raise your premiums if you add the firearm rider, in addition to that stand-alone cost.

I think that the NRA insurance policy may be one of the best deals available. The additional riders for homeowner's policies are considerably more expensive than the same coverage from NRA. If I continue to purchase additional firearms every year, I will have to adjust coverage accordingly, making the case for having insurance coverage even more important.

As I understand the NRA gun insurance, it is essentially a secondary insurance, where your homeowner’s insurance policy would pay first to its limit, if you have firearms coverage, before the NRA insurance would pay. Therefore, there would be no double-payment, one from each insurer
From what I have determined so far, the NRA provides at no cost to its current active members up to $2,500 of insurance through ArmsCare Firearms Insurance, but a member must activate this benefit.

A member may elect to purchase additional coverage for an additional annual fee, which seems reasonable to me. ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance provides NRA members with protection for their firearms and accessories up to $1,000,000 in coverage. Rates start at just $65 annually for $6,500 in coverage. The ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance works in tandem with the $2,500 No Cost ArmsCare Firearms Insurance provided with one’s NRA membership. Purchasing this additional insurance your benefit will be automatically upgraded to full replacement cost. Firearms valued at $2,500 or more must be scheduled, however, serial numbers are not required to be submitted.

Both of these NRA endorsed insurance plans covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage. Guns and gun accessories including scopes, rings, mounts, slings and sling swivels, which are attached to the insured firearm and are protected from the following:
• Damage
• Direct physical loss
• Fire
• Theft (Theft from a vehicle is covered when it is the result of breaking and entering a locked vehicle or locked portion of the vehicle.)

Here are links for more information

http://www.locktonaf...rmscareplus.htm

Do any of you have this insurance?
If so, have any of you ever needed to use it and, if so, what was your experience?

AVB-AMG