Qel Hoth

2015 Mustang

I am seriously considering buying a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost in the next week or two. I went and test drove one today, although it was an auto, and felt very comfortable in the car aside from the salesman yammering about what he needs to do to get me to take one off the lot. I know exactly what options I do and do not want and have no intention of negotiating off a monthly payment, just the outright price for the vehicle and the payments will be what they will be for a 5 year loan. Unfortunately I will have to order it, since options for a manual are very limited and in stock cars are generally base V6s which don't have the options I want or loaded GTs, which I can't afford. I have good credit, so I should qualify for the 2.9% financing through Ford. This will also be my first time buying a new car and my first time negotiating myself.

Does anyone have any experience with 2015 mustangs and is there anything I should be aware of from the dealership?

Don't let them four square you which you already know, and financially if you get a loan cheaper than the market does it makes the most sense to take out as much of a loan as you can.  For example, even if you can swing the car outright it makes more sense to do $0 down, pay the %2.9, and beat that in the market.

Good luck.

P.S. you should look at the Camaro instead :).  6th gen is unveiling in May!

44B6AE4E-FF99-4AA8-864C-FD7F779E70A5_zps
8BD663E8-617A-49B8-A6D7-2E7EEB9C653B_zps

I understand that the 2015 is brand new, and got a face lift from 2014.  However, you will in fact take a decent hit for just buying a brand new vehicle.  Have you considered getting a one or two year old Mustang?  You could easily get a 2013 or 2014 GT for roughly the same price, if not a little less.  That will give you more power, while also taking less of a hit in value.

Also, speaking from experience, I hope that you are considering this purchase as a second vehicle?  If not, and you plan to drive this car year round, I suggest that you reconsider.  I'm only speaking from experience.

I understand that the 2015 is brand new, and got a face lift from 2014.  However, you will in fact take a decent hit for just buying a brand new vehicle.  Have you considered getting a one or two year old Mustang?  You could easily get a 2013 or 2014 GT for roughly the same price, if not a little less.  That will give you more power, while also taking less of a hit in value.

Also, speaking from experience, I hope that you are considering this purchase as a second vehicle?  If not, and you plan to drive this car year round, I suggest that you reconsider.  I'm only speaking from experience.

and said 2013/2014 gt will hammer the snot outta pretty much anything out there short of a corvette, or the "supercars".

they say the difference between the handling of the 15 vs the s197 stangs is day/night. i know i love the handling of my 2012.

when i had my 83 5 liter, and my 89gt, i drove them both year round. i really didn't have much trouble to be honest. but then i grew up driving rear wheel drive cars.....in all weather.

It's not just the looks, though the 2015 is one sexy beast. The 15 added a number of features that weren't available in previous models, particularly some safety features such as blind spot monitoring, and front collision warning/mitigation. Also the interior and ride quality simply doesn't compare with the older mustangs, my friend has a '12 and the '15s are far superior (sorry if you're reading this, but it's true...). Finally giving the mustang 21st century suspension instead of bolting an ox cart under the back really has helped it out. 

This will be my only car, though I don't really need to drive anywhere in the winter as I work from home. Also from everything I've read about the '15s the traction control and snow driving modes make the car far more manageable in snow and ice than previous models, especially if you keep the rpms low so the turbo doesn't kick in. 

Don't let them four square you which you already know, and financially if you get a loan cheaper than the market does it makes the most sense to take out as much of a loan as you can.  For example, even if you can swing the car outright it makes more sense to do $0 down, pay the %2.9, and beat that in the market.

Good luck.

P.S. you should look at the Camaro instead  :).  6th gen is unveiling in May!

I planned on putting 6-8k down, and my trade isn't worth anything being a '99 Saturn with 174k that is falling apart and starting to give me some troubling mechanical symptoms. I might look at doing less, though the lower monthly payment is somewhat appealing since it gives me more flexibility  for future payments. Not putting anything down adds ~$100/month to the payments, something to consider. Possibly also a shorter loan, a 4 year would give me 1.9% instead. 

Fortunately I turned 25 not that long ago and that makes me magically a lower risk... I've priced insurance for both Ecoboost and GTs, and the prices weren't actually all that different. I'm expecting 600-800/six months and have multiple quotes from various companies in this range. 

Cobb can do some crazy stuff with that 2.3L

I have the 2.0 Ecoboost (Focus ST) and its fun as hell, even despite the wrong-wheel-drive

Sure can, though as of right now I don't intend to tune. At most I would look at a CAI and a more open cat-back to get a better sound out of it, but even that would be a year or two away probably. 

It's not just the looks, though the 2015 is one sexy beast. The 15 added a number of features that weren't available in previous models, particularly some safety features such as blind spot monitoring, and front collision warning/mitigation. Also the interior and ride quality simply doesn't compare with the older mustangs, my friend has a '12 and the '15s are far superior (sorry if you're reading this, but it's true...). Finally giving the mustang 21st century suspension instead of bolting an ox cart under the back really has helped it out. 

This will be my only car, though I don't really need to drive anywhere in the winter as I work from home. Also from everything I've read about the '15s the traction control and snow driving modes make the car far more manageable in snow and ice than previous models, especially if you keep the rpms low so the turbo doesn't kick in. 

I planned on putting 6-8k down, and my trade isn't worth anything being a '99 Saturn with 174k that is falling apart and starting to give me some troubling mechanical symptoms. I might look at doing less, though the lower monthly payment is somewhat appealing since it gives me more flexibility  for future payments. Not putting anything down adds ~$100/month to the payments, something to consider. Possibly also a shorter loan, a 4 year would give me 1.9% instead. 

OK, but you are thinking month to month I'm talking long term financial planning here (which you should consider when you sign yourself into a debt for an expensive car).

8k out of pocket now saves you 2.9% interest.  But the market did 10.57% last year.  So you lose out really on 7.67% of your down payment, so basically putting 8k down costs you $613.60 (using last years data, this year can do better/worse)

If you are going to buy one give it a very close look over before signing the papers.

The factory is having a lot of quality problems.

Make sure the rear window is set in straight, the body panels are on correctly and the car has the dashboard and options you paid for.

I think I am going to wait for the 16's to come out.

Sure can, though as of right now I don't intend to tune. At most I would look at a CAI and a more open cat-back to get a better sound out of it, but even that would be a year or two away probably. 

dude.....you can get that thing into the 12's easily. i don't think you need a "cold" air intake. i put it that way, 'cause it moves your intake from the grille in front of the radiator to inside the engine bay. watch the vid below. you'll notice 12.5's with essentially a tune, exhaust, and slicks. pretty dam respectable.

I drive a lot of 2015s. If I get the job I'm looking for I would like to buy a 300A GT PP in competition orange. The premium is nice but too much money. Give or take 32k.

Are you looking at a premium or base? What color? Also, look into an X-plan.

What dealership?

I am a huge fan of the 2015 Mustang. I've been looking for panel alignment issues and I can't find any. However, the one issue I have seen on every car from new Toyotas to Mercedes-Benz is orange peel in the paint. Ford included. I saw a DIB V6 with an orange peel hood last week.

glennp -- Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. So far the money for my down payment has been sitting in a savings account getting a whole .75%. Since I have to order it anyway I have another 6-8 weeks to decide exactly how much to put down.

1lt -- Not looking to race, especially no drag racing. Drag doesn't interest me whatsoever. Perhaps autocross or a track day but more than likely it will be limited to some spirited driving on back roads in addition to its DD duties. The sole reason for any mods would be aesthetics. I've seen some nice looking intakes that replace the factory airbox and filter with something a lot more open as well as a few exhaust which delete the resonator and use much less restrictive mufflers. Ford Racing and Magnaflow both have systems that give it a nice angry tone, though again this would be 1-2 years out if it ever gets done.

bobz/302w -- I've ready about QC issues with these and would definitely go over the car with a fine toothed comb before I sign anything. Fortunately it seems that there have been less complaints recently, so hopefully that was mostly limited to the beginning of production. 

I'm looking at an Ecoboost Premium, price is going to be right around that same $32k. I would rather have the upgraded interior, heated/cooled seats, BLIS, and the rest of the fancy tech that the premiums come with and have available instead of having a stripped v8. Sure the V8 would sound better and go even better, but it's not worth dropping all the options IMO. As for color I'm debating between Guard (dark green/grey) and Ruby Red. I don't think the ruby red is going to be too attention-grabbing, at least not nearly as much as the "pull me over" red, yellow, and orange. I looked at X Plan, I should qualify for it though I got a better offer online from truecar than the x plan calculators I've found. Closest dealer and the one I've test drove from is Winner in Cherry Hill, but I have an offer through truecar for a dealer in Chester PA for ~$900 less. Hopefully Winner will match that, will bring everything up when I'm, ready to place the order.

I got my oil changed on Monday on my 2014 GT. Medford Ford had a few 2015's on the lot. There was an Ecoboost there. I think it was white. May have been 2 on the lot ( possibly sterling grey). OP, looks like you're in Cherry Hill. Medford Ford is on 70 in Medford. One of the cars sticker showed $34k. they are in the holding lot off to the side near the service area

also, concerning dealers......i went to miller ford up in lumberton. marc kweeder, and chuck robson up there took VERY good care of me getting my gt, and then they did it again when i bought mom an 07 taurus. those guys are good to deal with.

conecrning drag racing......i had all of that in my head when i bought my gt. i figured they're rated to run mid/high 12's right off the showroom floor. if you can shift. and i can. i've been driving manual trans cars since i was 16. my 89gt was a 12.2 5 speed car.

then i took delivery. and that was it. she'll never see a dragstrip. she's too nice, and i've pretty much destroyed every nice car i've owned at the dragstrip. this one's a cruiser, spirited driving as you mentioned....and i may try to get her to milleville this year, as the mechanic across the street's taking his beemer....and i feel the need to hammer a beemer in the corners. :D

there's a guy locally to my shop here in cherry hill.....drives a charger. virtually every time he lined up next to me when i had my dakota, he'd run me. always got my by around a fender. not very good, but he got me and that's all that matters. finally, one saturday evening, he pulled up next to me when i had the gt. i had myself all set to run. and the $%^ wouldn't make a go at it.

glennp -- Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. So far the money for my down payment has been sitting in a savings account getting a whole .75%. Since I have to order it anyway I have another 6-8 weeks to decide exactly how much to put down.

1lt -- Not looking to race, especially no drag racing. Drag doesn't interest me whatsoever. Perhaps autocross or a track day but more than likely it will be limited to some spirited driving on back roads in addition to its DD duties. The sole reason for any mods would be aesthetics. I've seen some nice looking intakes that replace the factory airbox and filter with something a lot more open as well as a few exhaust which delete the resonator and use much less restrictive mufflers. Ford Racing and Magnaflow both have systems that give it a nice angry tone, though again this would be 1-2 years out if it ever gets done.

bobz/302w -- I've ready about QC issues with these and would definitely go over the car with a fine toothed comb before I sign anything. Fortunately it seems that there have been less complaints recently, so hopefully that was mostly limited to the beginning of production. 

I'm looking at an Ecoboost Premium, price is going to be right around that same $32k. I would rather have the upgraded interior, heated/cooled seats, BLIS, and the rest of the fancy tech that the premiums come with and have available instead of having a stripped v8. Sure the V8 would sound better and go even better, but it's not worth dropping all the options IMO. As for color I'm debating between Guard (dark green/grey) and Ruby Red. I don't think the ruby red is going to be too attention-grabbing, at least not nearly as much as the "pull me over" red, yellow, and orange. I looked at X Plan, I should qualify for it though I got a better offer online from truecar than the x plan calculators I've found. Closest dealer and the one I've test drove from is Winner in Cherry Hill, but I have an offer through truecar for a dealer in Chester PA for ~$900 less. Hopefully Winner will match that, will bring everything up when I'm, ready to place the order.

Try Miller Ford over in Lumberton on Rt. 38. I originally went in there with a true and they had no problem honoring the price. I eventually took a long ride to Koons in Sterling Va, to get my 2014. It was almost $2500 less than truecar local

Then why buy a Mustang at all?  Buying a <V8 muscle car has never made sense to me.  Muscle cars are meant to have big engines in them.

Guard, like many colors today, looks fantastic when clean and dull when not waxed.

VJF, not everyone wants to pay for a V8. A GT premium goes for about 37ish or more, and the OP wants the premium. Ford/GM/Fiat sold a ton of Mustangs/Camaros/Chargers to people who wanted a "muscle car" but weren't performance freaks. Most of the public can't tell the difference. I want the V8.

You'll like the car. The ecoboost is a great engine. Good luck.

vjf -- Not interested in the V8 because of price. A GT similarly optioned will be almost $42k, which is more than I'm willing to pay. The $32k ecoboost premium is about at the top end of what I want to pay for a car, so unless you're willing to hand me 10k so I can buy a real mustang it's not going to happen. That said, while the ecoboost is "only" is 2.3L 4 banger it's no slouch either, with 310HP and 320lb-ft of torque it has more power and the same amount of torque as the 2010 and older 4.6L GTs. 

Try Miller Ford over in Lumberton on Rt. 38. I originally went in there with a true and they had no problem honoring the price. I eventually took a long ride to Koons in Sterling Va, to get my 2014. It was almost $2500 less than truecar local

koons was offering me a GREAT deal on a 2012....but it had equipment i didn't want. if i hadn't gotten exactly what i wanted at miller, then koons would've been my next place.......

koons was offering me a GREAT deal on a 2012....but it had equipment i didn't want. if i hadn't gotten exactly what i wanted at miller, then koons would've been my next place.......

I've had a few people tell me about the deals they got at Koons. I didn't know it existed until I found the car listed on their Autotrader ad. Can't go wrong with either place ,IMO.