Silence Dogood

National Coverage of Josey-Davis case and appeal to Christie

I could not have said it better myself!

I could not have said it better myself.

These are nice feel-good stories but they do not forward our agenda, they hinder it. "See, NJ isn't that bad. They forgive part-time security guards." We need coverage of these individuals going to JAIL. Give them 5-10. Consecutive sentences while they release hardened violent criminals.

That was the point of my .22LR carry protest. Show the rest of the country how f****d up this state is. How acts that have no legal consequence anywhere else get you a long prison sentence here.

My take from this might be a little different then most of you. Why did he get pardoned? He admits to and there is little doubt that he was driving around with a loaded pistol in his glovebox. In NJ that is illegal. He broke the law and got away with it because no one wants to send a otherwise good black man to prison for a tiny mistake. He forgot there was a loaded gun in the glovebox. I sure dont forget where I leave any of my guns. EVER loaded or not. If the law had been challenged in court and proven unconstitutional that would be a win for Steffon and us. As it is Steffon hit the good fortune Lotto and the rest of us are still going to face jail if we are pulled over with a loaded weapon in the car because its still illegal. The same thing goes for Gordon Gilder, he broke the law and got away with it. We cant choose when to enforce and when not to enforce laws. We must have laws that are just and enforce them as they are written.

My take from this might be a little different then most of you. Why did he get pardoned? He admits to and there is little doubt that he was driving around with a loaded pistol in his glovebox. In NJ that is illegal. He broke the law and got away with it because no one wants to send a otherwise good black man to prison for a tiny mistake. He forgot there was a loaded gun in the glovebox. I sure dont forget where I leave any of my guns. EVER loaded or not. If the law had been challenged in court and proven unconstitutional that would be a win for Steffon and us. As it is Steffon hit the good fortune Lotto and the rest of us are still going to face jail if we are pulled over with a loaded weapon in the car because its still illegal. The same thing goes for Gordon Gilder, he broke the law and got away with it. We cant choose when to enforce and when not to enforce laws. We must have laws that are just and enforce them as they are written.

Spot on, our Gov took the easy way out.  Instead of using his positional power to invoke change he made this go away.

Spot on, our Gov took the easy way out.  Instead of using his positional power to invoke change he made this go away.

^^^^EXACTLY!!

Just one lil' Executive Order to AG Hoffman and we all get rid of "Justifiable Need" as it's now written!  He can order Hoffman to "interpret" "Justifiable Need" as common self-defense (like 47 other states have), thereby ending the restriction of us commoners having CCW.  But NJ likes making victims.  Victims of crime and victims of BAD legislation!

This Kid hits the jackpot and the rest of us get shit on!  I just can't wait to thank our Governor (NOT!).

100% in agreement with this statement. I couldn't have put it any better.

Not to attack Steffon. But, its been bothering me. Why was he hiding a gun from his niece/daughter whomever? I encourage kids to understand guns and the danger associated with them as well as the uses they have. My 10 y/o daughter loves to shoot rimfire (pistol and rifle)  and cant wait to be able to handle the 20g so she can shoot clays with me and her older brothers. The worst way to learn about guns is by hiding them and letting the kids figure it out from TV and Internet.

"Wanted man: Police job offers pour in for NJ man pardoned by Gov. Christie" http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/15/wanted-man-police-job-offers-pour-in-for-nj-man-pardoned-by-gov-christie/

Some of these send offers for him to apply. I wonder if he will be on a probation period of remembering where he put his gun. I also think the race card was played for this "black man aspiring to be a police officer, his dreams shattered". Would they have described him as white or Asian or Eskimo if he was?

I still can't get behind This guy. I still think he's a ditz that lucked out getting pardoned.

Not to attack Steffon. But, its been bothering me. Why was he hiding a gun from his niece/daughter whomever? I encourage kids to understand guns and the danger associated with them as well as the uses they have. My 10 y/o daughter loves to shoot rimfire (pistol and rifle)  and cant wait to be able to handle the 20g so she can shoot clays with me and her older brothers. The worst way to learn about guns is by hiding them and letting the kids figure it out from TV and Internet.

He's full of baloney. His story is ridiculous and made of holes sewn together. Glad he is not in jail but, as I said previously, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when people champion BS as an injustice. The injustice is the law, not this guy's made up story.

The fact remains that he broke the law as it currently stands. Does this mean that anyone in NJ who has a loaded gun in their glove box and gets stopped will be able to use this as legal precedent for a dismissal or a pardon?

This signature is AWESOME!!!

A very wise man once said that these petty "victories" do more harm than good to NJ gun owners. Oh wait that was me. Never mind.

I disagree, except for the part where you dismissed the very wise man supposition ;)

5 years ago this was the status of firearms knowledge in Jersey:

1. Guns have to be registered in the US or they are illegal

2. Hollowpoints are illegal in the US

3. "Assault weapons" spray-fire

4. People can actually carry guns in Texas

Jersey needs awareness more than ANYTHING. A hell of a lot more people in Jersey now realize CC exists around the country and whatever they heard about the laws in Jersey from some dude, it clearly doesn't exist there. And a subset of people are learning that Jersey is almost the ONLY place where people can't carry guns, and the only place where it will put a soccer mom in jail for 5 to 10 years.

More people outside New Jersey need to know about Jersey's draconian laws. It needs to be a national disgrace. More people in Jersey need to know that guns and carry are normal outside of your horrible state. Every single time this makes the news it is a win. Any consideration that these stories may make Jersey seem 'not so bad' are secondary and a lot weaker points. Awareness is the goal, and it is still quite a work in progress.

There are probably about 10 million people in Jersey. If half of them realized tomorrow that gun ownership and carry is ubiquitous in the US, and normal, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems when they go to Pennsylvania Dutch Country, Disneyland, Colorado or Maine, your laws wouldn't last another 5 years. If half the United States knew how bad New Jersey gun laws were, same result.

All publicity is good publicity at this point. People in Jersey need to be confronted with this stuff and sooner or later too many of them will learn the truth, either deliberately or simply by accident through repeated exposure.

Take a look at Connecticut. They passed some shitty gun laws. You think they could have banned carry? Not a chance. That hasn't happened ANYWHERE in my lifetime. New York - just passed some shitty gun laws. Think they could have banned carry? No way, not a chance. People in New Jersey don't look at things that way because they don't understand these things. Even if the majority does not own guns, and a large minority is afraid of guns or somewhat anti-gun, you can't cobble together enough support to actually shut down the right for individuals to defend themselves, including with firearms. Ban 90% of guns, license and register all of them, sure, in some places. Get a majority of the population to agree nobody should be able to defend themselves with a gun? Nowhere in the US. Not even in Jersey. The problem with Jersey is, very few people know what having a gun to defend yourself actually means.

I disagree, except for the part where you dismissed the very wise man supposition ;)

5 years ago this was the status of firearms knowledge in Jersey:

1. Guns have to be registered in the US or they are illegal

2. Hollowpoints are illegal in the US

3. "Assault weapons" spray-fire

4. People can actually carry guns in Texas

Jersey needs awareness more than ANYTHING. A hell of a lot more people in Jersey now realize CC exists around the country and whatever they heard about the laws in Jersey from some dude, it clearly doesn't exist there. And a subset of people are learning that Jersey is almost the ONLY place where people can't carry guns, and the only place where it will put a soccer mom in jail for 5 to 10 years.

More people outside New Jersey need to know about Jersey's draconian laws. It needs to be a national disgrace. More people in Jersey need to know that guns and carry are normal outside of your horrible state. Every single time this makes the news it is a win. Any consideration that these stories may make Jersey seem 'not so bad' are secondary and a lot weaker points. Awareness is the goal, and it is still quite a work in progress.

There are probably about 10 million people in Jersey. If half of them realized tomorrow that gun ownership and carry is ubiquitous in the US, and normal, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems when they go to Pennsylvania Dutch Country, Disneyland, Colorado or Maine, your laws wouldn't last another 5 years. If half the United States knew how bad New Jersey gun laws were, same result.

All publicity is good publicity at this point. People in Jersey need to be confronted with this stuff and sooner or later too many of them will learn the truth, either deliberately or simply by accident through repeated exposure.

Take a look at Connecticut. They passed some shitty gun laws. You think they could have banned carry? Not a chance. That hasn't happened ANYWHERE in my lifetime. New York - just passed some shitty gun laws. Think they could have banned carry? No way, not a chance. People in New Jersey don't look at things that way because they don't understand these things. Even if the majority does not own guns, and a large minority is afraid of guns or somewhat anti-gun, you can't cobble together enough support to actually shut down the right for individuals to defend themselves, including with firearms. Ban 90% of guns, license and register all of them, sure, in some places. Get a majority of the population to agree nobody should be able to defend themselves with a gun? Nowhere in the US. Not even in Jersey. The problem with Jersey is, very few people know what having a gun to defend yourself actually means.

I agree with all your points. All publicity is good publicity.

But quantifying the positive benefits is near impossible. We cheerleaders always inflate them while the antis just shrug them off. Most shall-issue states got that way through their legislatures. Illinois is the most notable exception, almost a miracle; I still have to see what happens in DC and California. The courts have been horrendous to us, however. I don't see that changing. I don't see the political makeup of the NJ Legislature changing either. Loretta Weinberg will not swing the other way because an extra 10% of NJ voters view gun ownership and CC favorably. Neither will the die hard liberals who elect Weinberg et al.

If by some miracle public opinion ever sways this argument it will take many years, a Republican legislature and a real Republican governor. I don't think Christie would have signed CC legislation. 

Our only hope is national legislation, but if Hillary keeps running you can forget that because nobody is going to beat her.

There's a slight chance Peruta will affect other jurisdictions -- that's what his lawyer said today on guns.com. I don't understand how. Neither Illinois nor DC -- huge cases -- brought about a situation where NJ law could be challenged. True? Why would Peruta be different?

The problem with Jersey is, very few people know what having pump gas yourself actually means.

Oh! You just reminded me. I found two stations near where I live with full service islands. I have to find that thread where I said I haven't seen one outside of Jersey in almost 20 years...