M1152

9mm ammo recommendation

I have a new 9mm coming in shortly and I'm looking for some decent paper-punching ammo.  Anyone have a preference on either of the two listed below or is it a coin toss?  Thanks in advance

Sellier & Bellot Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket

or

CCI Blazer Brass Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket

I have a new 9mm coming in shortly and I'm looking for some decent paper-punching ammo.  Anyone have a preference on either of the two listed below or is it a coin toss?  Thanks in advance

or

I prefer S&B because it runs more hotter.

or

Either one will be fine. Beware of Midway's shipping charges, though.

Megtech- it's fine, too--same price, free shipping:

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Magtech-9mm-Luger-Ammo-124-Grain-Full-Metal-Jacket-p/9b-fmj-case.htm

***I never bought from this place**Maybe somebody else has and can share his experience.

I've shot both S&B and Blazer Brass.  Both are good.  You may want to look for 124gr ammo instead - I prefer it, personally.  115gr tends to be snappy (for 9mm) - especially S&B as it's loaded hotter.

Freedom Munitions tends to be underpowered... Yes, it's cheaper, but seeing as plenty of people on Reddit have reported issues, under-powered loads, and recalls, I'd pass.

Check SGAmmo - they have good stock and decent prices.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/9mm-9x19

Slickguns is showing 124gr magtech for 230 shipped.

personally, I'm no fan of magtech. dirtiest, nastiest, shoutiest, and flashiest ammo I've ever used. no joke, it looks like fireworks coming out the barrel of my gun.

First off, Thanks for ALL the replies and suggestions. I read in one of the Midway reviews Magtech and S&B are the same company, I didn’t know that.  I’ve used Magtech before in 38 and didn’t have any issues. I currently have the old S&W5906 that I believe I purchased not long after they were first introduced. The only 9mm plinking ammo I have is some Chinese stuff I purchased around the same time when I got the S&W. I borrowed this image off one of the gun auctions site but this is same stuff I have.   I’ll use it up but I’ll be looking for something new going forward so just wanted what you guys were using for plinking. I have a Beretta coming in and supposedly it will eat anything so we will see. IIRC while researching the Beretta some of the other well-known 9’s didn’t like Wolf ammo so I’d probably only buy something with no known issues. Again thank you ALL for the info & feedback

mw37ls.jpg

CCI Blazer is fine ammo, Blazer, Blazer Brass, Aluminum, heck even Blazer .22LR is great IMHO.

I have also had outstanding results with Speer Lawmen (and of course Speer Gold Dot HP defensive ammo, perhaps  the single best choice for defensive (or offensive..... should the need arise.....I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin...) and in fact my old man's department used Speer Lawmen as their range round for many years with great results.

I have only used S&B in my shotgun and .308, not my pistol, but they worked good, too.

Btw do you use the ammo search engines ie gunbot, ammoseek, wikiarms, etc? If you're simply punching paper, why not just buy the cheapest available brand-name ammo? That's pretty much what I do. Blazer, Magtech, AE, WWB, etc...not really much of a difference to me when it comes to the range.

I try to stick with brass though, as I notice steel tends not to cycle as smoothly. But I will buy the Commie ammo if the price is right ;)

Lately I've been using Freedom Munitions reman ammo with very good results. Plus they have free shipping specials. Recommended.

Just my $0.02

Btw do you use the ammo search engines ie gunbot, ammoseek, wikiarms, etc? If you're simply punching paper, why not just buy the cheapest available brand-name ammo? That's pretty much what I do. Blazer, Magtech,

Haven’t purchased any handgun ammo in a while, last year was pretty much all rifle. So yes only just looking for cheap ammo for now and will check the search engines as per your suggestion. If I go for a case I'll take Krdshrd's suggestion and get it in 124gr but I do want to try a box or two of the 115gr stuff because the Storm is *suppose* to have a light recoil due to the rotating bolt. I'd like to test it with a variety of different ammo just to see if there's one it don't like.  Here it is  right out of the box next to my s&w5906

fkwhop.jpg

I said it in the Sportsman's Guide thread that I started but in case you didn't see there, they have free shipping with no minimum order. Order a variety of boxes of you wanna try and see what you like. 

Right now I have some of each of the following, Blazer Brass 115gr, PMC Brass 124gr, Magtech 115gr. Most of it is PMC 124gr right now.

I have been educating myself on the various wide variety of hand gun ammunition available and the pros and cons of each.

I have done a fair amount of research online and have asked a number of staff members of the ranges that I am a member of to determine what they consider to be some of the best 9mm ammunition to use in my semi-automatic handguns, (both hammer and striker styles), for range practice, as well as for personal/home defense, if ever necessary, that I will also occasionally practice with.

My attitude is that I am willing to spend more money to get a higher quality ammunition that will be the most consistently dependable to fire as intended, burn cleaner than average to reduce carbon buildup inside my handgun, be more accurate if possible and in the case of the personal/home defense ammo, provide sufficiently adequate “stopping power” of an intruder/bad guy. Also, I want to support American made ammunition manufacturers and their factory workers and believe they are still among the highest quality available, avoiding foreign made ammo and its possibly questionable quality.

From all of my inquiries and research so far, I have decided to use and have been very pleased with the results to date:

Speer
Lawman for training and Gold Dot for personal/home defense, both having long term proven track records for high-performance and consistently reliable ammo production. I like the idea that they use cleaner-burning propellants and more reliable CCI primers and users and reviewers stating that they have not had much, if any problems with these ammo lines.
Also, I like the idea of using a training round from the same manufacturer that has a similar velocity and bullet weight to what I would use for my personal/home defense rounds. That way, my practice is more meaningfully realistic and appropriate. So these are the specific ammo lines I am currently using:

For general range practice:
Speer Lawman – 9mm Luger 124 grain TMJ Ammo - 53651

For personal/home defense:
Speer Gold Dot – 9mm +P 124 Grain LE Hollow Point Ammo - 53617
(Note: This specific ammo is hard to find and is constantly out-of-stock at most retailers and online sellers, so I buy it when I can find it....)

What are your thoughts on this ammunition for these purposes?

Also, very recently, I have read (Guns & Ammo), the reviews from the 2015 Shot Show in Las Vegas of a recent addition to the retail market for ammunition:
PolyCase’s Inceptor line of ammunition.

From the PolyCase web site:
PolyCase’s Inceptor™ line of ammunition features PolyCase’s patent-pending Cu/P™ bullets, made using the latest in injection molding technology, loaded in traditional high-quality brass.

The 9mm 84 Grain RNP™ version of the Cu/P™ bullet is the Round Nose PRECISION, a solid-core injection-molded copper-poly bullet that rivals any competition-level target shooting round.

The PolyCase ARX™ SELF-DEFENSE cartridge is the next-generation of personal protection projectile technology. Using advanced materials and design, the ARX™ is a non-expanding bullet that delivers terminal performance in a completely different way than traditional expanding (hollow-point) bullets.

At this point, I am very intrigued and curious to try this new ammo design and have placed an order for both of these to try them out and decide if I agree with the stellar reviews:

For general range practice:
PolyCase’s Inceptor RPN - 9mm Luger 84 Grain

For personal/home defense:
PolyCase’s Inceptor ARX SELF-DEFENSE - 9mm Luger 74 Grain

Has anyone else tried this new ammunition yet? If so, what do you think?

AVB-AMG

I'll take tried and true over new and gimmicky marketing.  The Polycase Interceptor is a polymer round that's not traditionally shaped... Who knows how well it really performs.  Seems just as gimmicky to me as the RIP ammo.  I would pass over it in favor of the old tried and true - Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger SXT, etc.

Krdshrk:

Have you actually tried shooting the Polycase Interceptor ammo yet or are you just not interested in trying it out to decide for yourself?

Once I receive my order of this new ammo and shoot it I will post my thoughts here.

AVB-AMG

Krdshrk: Have you actually tried shooting the Polycase Interceptor ammo yet or are you just not interested in trying it out to decide for yourself? Once I receive my order of this new ammo and shoot it I will post my thoughts here. AVB-AMG

Not yet - but I've seen some loads that are similar - lighter bullet, more propellant = faster projectile.... That's ok but I want a projectile that expands.  If I want more speed behind it, I'm shooting +P or +P+ rounds.

Not really interested in trying it but if you're close by then I wouldn't mind taking a shot... unfortunately we can't really see the terminal ballistics or effects.

First off, Thanks for ALL the replies and suggestions. I read in one of the Midway reviews Magtech and S&B are the same company, I didn’t know that.  I’ve used Magtech before in 38 and didn’t have any issues. I currently have the old S&W5906 that I believe I purchased not long after they were first introduced. The only 9mm plinking ammo I have is some Chinese stuff I purchased around the same time when I got the S&W. I borrowed this image off one of the gun auctions site but this is same stuff I have.   I’ll use it up but I’ll be looking for something new going forward so just wanted what you guys were using for plinking. I have a Beretta coming in and supposedly it will eat anything so we will see. IIRC while researching the Beretta some of the other well-known 9’s didn’t like Wolf ammo so I’d probably only buy something with no known issues. Again thank you ALL for the info & feedback

mw37ls.jpg

For target ammo, I've had pretty good luck with Frredom Munitions in my Beretta 92FS and Glock 19.  No FTE or FTF.

I bought 1000 rounds last year and 1000 last month.  Shot 100 rounds of the latest batch, yesterday.  No problems.  Maybe I'm lucky?  So far, so good.

Eric

I'll take tried and true over new and gimmicky marketing.  The Polycase Interceptor is a polymer round that's not traditionally shaped... Who knows how well it really performs.  Seems just as gimmicky to me as the RIP ammo.  I would pass over it in favor of the old tried and true - Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger SXT, etc.

Krdshrk:

FYI - In the July 2015 edition of GUNS&AMMO magazine, starting on page 68, is an indepth review and tests of PolyCAse injection molded bullets.  I think you will find their results most interesting.....  They seem to be offering an interesting and viable alternative option to traditional brass cased, ball or HP bullets.

AVB-AMG

Krdshrk:

FYI - In the July 2015 edition of GUNS&AMMO magazine, starting on page 68, is an indepth review and tests of PolyCAse injection molded bullets.  I think you will find their results most interesting.....  They seem to be offering an interesting and viable alternative option to traditional brass cased, ball or HP bullets.

AVB-AMG

I'll check it out...

I've had zero issues with Blazer, PMC, MagTec, Speer, or Hornady all have worked well in my Glocks, Berettas, H&K's, Walthers, Sigs, Colt, STI, or Boberg. In 9mm I also prefer 124gr to 115gr. But if the price is right I'll grab 115 without hesitation. Never bought any freedom munitions reloads. If I'm shooting reloads they're mine. I rarely reload these days. Except rifle stuff for long range, I make special for whatever I'm shooting.

I have had a bad experience with winchester white box, and I wont buy it anymore. That ammo is exactly why I keep a brass rod and hammer In my range bag.

I've had zero issues with Blazer, PMC, MagTec, Speer, or Hornady all have worked well in my Glocks, Berettas, H&K's, Walthers, Sigs, Colt, STI, or Boberg. In 9mm I also prefer 124gr to 115gr. But if the price is right I'll grab 115 without hesitation. Never bought any freedom munitions reloads. If I'm shooting reloads they're mine. I rarely reload these days. Except rifle stuff for long range, I make special for whatever I'm shooting. I have had a bad experience with winchester white box, and I wont buy it anymore. That ammo is exactly why I keep a brass rod and hammer In my range bag.

This is exactly what I buy when I see a deal on them, not that I'm an expert or anything...but from any research I've done shows this is best bet. I also stock 124gr PMC because from what I've seen it works best in my P7. Blazer you can usually get pretty cheap, same with MagTech. 

I use Freedom 147 grain 9mm, but try to stick with the new not the reman.  I once had an issue with the reman and have been very pleased with the new.  It has always made chrono just fine and is fairly clean ammo as well.  They have the absolute best price on 147 grain ammo.

I have one 9mm that's pretty finicky about what it will run correctly. It likes to double feed and the first trip back to the manufacturer didn't help. Until I get around to sending it in again, I'll just use the one ammo that has never had any sort of problem, Fiocchi.

MagTech, Herter's and UMC have been OK, with only 1 or 2 issues per box/50, I had 4 double feeds in a box of PMC,  but I haven't had a single problem with Fiocchi yet. At the other end of the spectrum is Federal and Blazer Brass, I can't remember the last time I made it through a magazine of either of them without having to clear a double feed. The good news is that I've become proficient at clearing double feeds, the bad news is I need to send the gun in again.

BTW, I thought I'd heard somewhere that Herter's (black box) is also made by S&B.

Edit; http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/77369-fiocchi-9mm-20-centsrd-shipped/