danw77

Penalty for Pistol on WMA Range

Note: There are designated "dog training areas" in some of these same WMA's. It is only in these areas that you can train and run your hunting dog on specific dates in-season or out-of season. You can't let your dog run just anywhere on state WMA land except during certain times of the year either. PS - The dog also needs to be "properly licensed" in addition to the dog owner.

New Jersey...............where fun goes to die.

Yeah well all this stuff is so ridiculous I feel stupid explaining it. I'm almost sorry for my last post, where it seemed I was against that guy shooting his .22 pistol. I don't see the danged difference in aiming my S&W 617 or my bolt action .22 rifle downrange up in Walpack. It's sad and embarrassing. We're treated like children. Bad children. 

The dog thing is butt-f-ing crazy too. Insane. Who thinks up this doodoo? I never hunted with my dog but I could not believe the restrictions back when I was active and my hunting partner had a (very bad) dog. Are they afraid the canine will eat too many prickly bushes?? 

No you were right. Where fun goes to die. They were afraid that we and our animals would have too much goddamned fun.

Honestly, most center fire should be allowed at WMA ranges too.

22lr handguns should be allowed at WMA ranges

For what purpose would you need to practice shooting a .22lr hand gun for hunting in NJ? The reason the 5 WMA'S in the state that have ranges is for hunting practice, and sighting in hunting rifles, air guns, shotguns, and muzzle loading rifles for clean quick kills. It's not a "free" public range for recreational shooting. I agree we should be able to sight in centerfire rifles up to .25cal since you can hunt groundhog & coyote/fox with them. But until handgun hunting becomes legal in this state they don't belong on WMA'S for practice. Join a private range for that. While you're there messing around with a .22lr handgun, there's a serious hunter waiting in line behind you to sight in his gun for actual hunting. It's just not right, or the intended purpose of the ranges.

FYI black river wma has a separate handgun range but it's only for the CO's to practice on, and used during hunter ed for the rifle portion of the test. If they opened it to the public for handguns I wouldn't complain, but I highly doubt they ever will.

I get the centerfire rifle restriction, the effective distance of danger of a centerfire round jives with the "densely populated" line we always hear about New Jersey. Sad, but we just can't trust people to be responsible.

The dog thing is butt-f-ing crazy too. Insane. Who thinks up this doodoo? I never hunted with my dog but I could not believe the restrictions back when I was active and my hunting partner had a (very bad) dog. Are they afraid the canine will eat too many prickly bushes?? 

No you were right. Where fun goes to die. They were afraid that we and our animals would have too much goddamned fun.

Most states have the same restriction for running hunting dogs. A bit has to do with game mating and nesting in the off-season. You can run dogs in New York up until a certain date, early-April is the cutoff if I remember correctly. Jives with woodcock, grouse, and turkey mating seasons. (Biologists don't want game harassed in the off-season should they be nesting.) You need a hunting license too unless you are on private land in New York. 

For what purpose would you need to practice shooting a .22lr hand gun for hunting in NJ? The reason the 5 WMA'S in the state that have ranges is for hunting practice, and sighting in hunting rifles, air guns, shotguns, and muzzle loading rifles for clean quick kills. It's not a "free" public range for recreational shooting. I agree we should be able to sight in centerfire rifles up to .25cal since you can hunt groundhog & coyote/fox with them. But until handgun hunting becomes legal in this state they don't belong on WMA'S for practice. Join a private range for that. While you're there messing around with a .22lr handgun, there's a serious hunter waiting in line behind you to sight in his gun for actual hunting. It's just not right, or the intended purpose of the ranges. FYI black river wma has a separate handgun range but it's only for the CO's to practice on, and used during hunter ed for the rifle portion of the test. If they opened it to the public for handguns I wouldn't complain, but I highly doubt they ever will.

Yes, WMA's are for hunting practice but what harm would come by allowing 22 pistols?

You are allowed to shoot clays at WMA ranges (Make peace WMA in SJ is a good example) is that not "recreational" shooting? guys shoot 100 matches all the time at that WMA site.

Yeah well all this stuff is so ridiculous I feel stupid explaining it. I'm almost sorry for my last post, where it seemed I was against that guy shooting his .22 pistol. I don't see the danged difference in aiming my S&W 617 or my bolt action .22 rifle downrange up in Walpack. It's sad and embarrassing. We're treated like children. Bad children. 

This is NJ...licenses = money....the dog thing is crazy but what do people expect in this State?

The word "fun" or "recreation" is non-existent here.

Yes, WMA's are for hunting practice but what harm would come by allowing 22 pistols?

You are allowed to shoot clays at WMA ranges (Make peace WMA in SJ is a good example) is that not "recreational" shooting? guys shoot 100 matches all the time at that WMA site.

Like I said that there are guys waiting to actually site in their guns to hunt on busy days. I get pissed when I go for that reason and 20 jerk-off's that don't even hunt are there plinking at all kinds of garbage they brought out to shoot for 2 hours. I just want to send two full mags down range at a piece of paper to make sure my optics are still on after dragging my gun through the woods. Then go home and enjoy the rest of my day. If we allowed handguns people would be there all day wasting others time. Since you can't hunt with them they have no business being there. Again a separate range for handgun I would be cool with, because It wouldn't interfere with guys there for the ranges true purpose.

No the clay range is also for hunting practice. They're called "clay birds" for a reason my bro. Pheasant, quail, woodcock, crow, ducks, and geese are all "shot on the wing". Clay birds are fun to shoot yes and can be recreational, but the reason the WMA'S have them is for the purpose of hunting practice.

Like I said that there are guys waiting to actually site in their guns to hunt on busy days. I get pissed when I go for that reason and 20 jerk-off's that don't even hunt are there plinking at all kinds of garbage they brought out to shoot for 2 hours. I just want to send two full mags down range at a piece of paper to make sure my optics are still on after dragging my gun through the woods. Then go home and enjoy the rest of my day. If we allowed handguns people would be there all day wasting others time. Since you can't hunt with them they have no business being there. Again a separate range for handgun I would be cool with, because It wouldn't interfere with guys there for the ranges true purpose.

No the clay range is also for hunting practice. They're called "clay birds" for a reason my bro. Pheasant, quail, woodcock, crow, ducks, and geese are all "shot on the wing". Clay birds are fun to shoot yes and can be recreational, but the reason the WMA'S have them is for the purpose of hunting practice.

The thing is, it's open to anyone and nothing prohibits recreational target shooting of rim fire riles and shotguns.

Sure, it's not a county target range but nothing prohibits someone from showing up and doing just that...recreational target shooting.

If the State found it necessary to limit WMA ranges to sighting-in/hunting practice use only they would prohibit recreational target shooting and signs would be posted, not going to happen...

What the State could do is divide the WMA ranges and create a small handgun only area for recreational target shooting, not likely but it would make sense.

Now shooting clays....what about the guys that setup for 2-3 hours and do not hunt? the majority around here that shoot clays at the WMA are not hunters and drag someone along with a hunting permit to keep it legal. I hunt pheasant but enjoy doing 100 out of 100 shoots, that's recreational use IMO.

The majority of shooting I used to see at SJ WMA Make Peace was enough for me to shell out the money for a private range, idiots waving around (finger on the trigger) and assholes that used to shoot up the wooden platform/gazebo with AR's and AK's ruining the range. No RO and rarely anyone from the State (unless it was cleanup time).

If it bothers you I suggest becoming a member of a private range.

The thing is, it's open to anyone and nothing prohibits recreational target shooting of rim fire riles and shotguns.

Sure, it's not a county target range but nothing prohibits someone from showing up and doing just that...recreational target shooting.

If the State found it necessary to limit WMA ranges to sighting-in/hunting practice use only they would prohibit recreational target shooting and signs would be posted, not going to happen...

What the State could do is divide the WMA ranges and create a small handgun only area for recreational target shooting, not likely but it would make sense.

Now shooting clays....what about the guys that setup for 2-3 hours and do not hunt? the majority around here that shoot clays at the WMA are not hunters and drag someone along with a hunting permit to keep it legal. I hunt pheasant but enjoy doing 100 out of 100 shoots, that's recreational use IMO.

The majority of shooting I used to see at SJ WMA Make Peace was enough for me to shell out the money for a private range, idiots waving around (finger on the trigger) and assholes that used to shoot up the wooden platform/gazebo with AR's and AK's ruining the range. No RO and rarely anyone from the State (unless it was cleanup time).

If it bothers you I suggest becoming a member of a private range.

Actually the state ranges are open to licensed hunters and their guests should they happen to bring them. Not the general public. When you buy a license you basically joined the range.

I am a member of two different private ranges, because of the idiots I see at the state ranges as you have also witnessed.

Actually the state ranges are open to licensed hunters and their guests should they happen to bring them. Not the general public. When you buy a license you basically joined the range.

I am a member of two different private ranges, because of the idiots I see at the state ranges as you have also witnessed.

To "use" a WMA range, yes you (or someone in the group) must have a hunting license but it's still open to the general public....you can legally walk around a WMA range with no guns/ammo and no hunting license, it's legally considered public land not private property.

The problem is lack of safety and enforcement, the State cannot afford to put someone on watch at every WMA range to enforce both safety and caliber/firearm requirements.

I get the centerfire rifle restriction, the effective distance of danger of a centerfire round jives with the "densely populated" line we always hear about New Jersey. Sad, but we just can't trust people to be responsible.

Also have you looked at the backstop at some of these ranges?  Shooting centerfire rifle into dirt piles?  WIth the crap people put out on the ranges you'd get ricochets and missed berm shots all the time.

FWIW, recreational shooting with your hunting guns is hunting practice.

Bringing your thrower, a couple of friends and shooting 2 or 3 boxes of clays is fun (recreation), but it also gets you out shooting your bird gun and working on skills that translate to being more effective in the field. And being able to shoot with others makes it more likely that you'll put in more trigger time.

Also have you looked at the backstop at some of these ranges?  Shooting centerfire rifle into dirt piles?  WIth the crap people put out on the ranges you'd get ricochets and missed berm shots all the time.

I'll bet it's been twenty years since since I used the Walpack shotgun slug/muzzleloader range. Haven't been to any others for rifle but have used the Black River shotgun range for clays quite a bit over the years. Both ranges attract all types of characters.

For what purpose would you need to practice shooting a .22lr hand gun for hunting in NJ? The reason the 5 WMA'S in the state that have ranges is for hunting practice, and sighting in hunting rifles, air guns, shotguns, and muzzle loading rifles for clean quick kills. It's not a "free" public range for recreational shooting. I agree we should be able to sight in centerfire rifles up to .25cal since you can hunt groundhog & coyote/fox with them. But until handgun hunting becomes legal in this state they don't belong on WMA'S for practice. Join a private range for that. While you're there messing around with a .22lr handgun, there's a serious hunter waiting in line behind you to sight in his gun for actual hunting. It's just not right, or the intended purpose of the ranges. FYI black river wma has a separate handgun range but it's only for the CO's to practice on, and used during hunter ed for the rifle portion of the test. If they opened it to the public for handguns I wouldn't complain, but I highly doubt they ever will.

Over here in PA, SGL ranges allow almost any gun, even if it's not hunting legal (save for full auto), though with a limit of 3 rounds loaded at a time (6 on the handgun range, if it exists). The general public is also allowed to shoot on the range, with a $30 range use permit (which is actually pricier than a hunting license).

We manage just fine, even with the increased number of hunters, and increased number of gun owners. I sighted in my guns at the busiest SGL range in the entire state a couple of times, and never really had an issue. Yes, it gets busy a few weeks before deer season (but that's expected), and yes you might see something unsafe once in a while, but that's kinda par for course on a public range (especially of the guys who only break out their deer rifle or slug gun a week before deer season, and don't shoot otherwise).

Over here in PA, SGL ranges allow almost any gun, even if it's not hunting legal (save for full auto), though with a limit of 3 rounds loaded at a time (6 on the handgun range, if it exists). The general public is also allowed to shoot on the range, with a $30 range use permit (which is actually pricier than a hunting license).

We manage just fine, even with the increased number of hunters, and increased number of gun owners. I sighted in my guns at the busiest SGL range in the entire state a couple of times, and never really had an issue. Yes, it gets busy a few weeks before deer season (but that's expected), and yes you might see something unsafe once in a while, but that's kinda par for course on a public range (especially of the guys who only break out their deer rifle or slug gun a week before deer season, and don't shoot otherwise).

When I move there in the near future I plan on shooting in my backyard.

The berm at Flatbrook is huge and at least 50 yards from the benches. If you can't hit it you should take up slingshot...oh wait that's illegal. And if you get clipped by a ricochet at that distance from shooting at old cans you're the unluckiest guy on earth. 

The berm at Flatbrook is huge and at least 50 yards from the benches. If you can't hit it you should take up slingshot...oh wait that's illegal. And if you get clipped by a ricochet at that distance from shooting at old cans you're the unluckiest guy on earth.

Flatbrook is 75yds and has a mountain behind the berm. I'm sure center fire would be safe there. But I wouldn't hold my breath that the game council will be allowing handgun or non rimfire rounds there anytime soon or ever.

Flatbrook is 75yds and has a mountain behind the berm. I'm sure center fire would be safe there. But I wouldn't hold my breath that the game council will be allowing handgun or non rimfire rounds there anytime soon or ever.

I wasn't suggesting that. And from what I've seen on pheasant stocking days at 5:30 am I'm not sure I want those guys driving up from the Acropolis Diner in Wayne to bring their handguns. 

Amen!

They have the gold inlay and mother-of-pearl hand-crafted Italian shotguns which they sweep across the assemblage at least once every 30 seconds. "Hey nice gun WHOOOOOAAA!!!" and everybody drops to the ground.

Their dogs are as vicious as starved dingoes, cost $7,000 excluding "training," and are usually named "Sporty" or "Baking-Done-On-Premises." If you run ahead of them at the opening bell better cover up and bring your iodine because you'll be pelted. Bird shot hitting your neck at 125 yards is affirming; much closer you wonder. 

And if they don't bag out by 7 am, in time to get back to make the cole slaw, expect to see them in groups of 7 or more shooting into the air for fun. "We brought those bullets!! We're gonna shoot 'em!!"

Apologies in advance to our Hellenic readers. My tribe would be much, much worse. 

For what purpose would you need to practice shooting a .22lr hand gun for hunting in NJ?

I take no side in this conversation, but doesn't the game code include some form of language about dispatching trapped animals with .22s? I hdon't remember is that rifles only, or shorts only or some such.

I take no side in this conversation, but doesn't the game code include some form of language about dispatching trapped animals with .22s? I hdon't remember is that rifles only, or shorts only or some such.

Correct, It's shorts but I'm not 100% sure that they allow a handgun for dispatch. I don't trap. I can find an answer to that question easily though.

They have the gold inlay and mother-of-pearl hand-crafted Italian shotguns which they sweep across the assemblage at least once every 30 seconds. "Hey nice gun WHOOOOOAAA!!!" and everybody drops to the ground.

Their dogs are as vicious as starved dingoes, cost $7,000 excluding "training," and are usually named "Sporty" or "Baking-Done-On-Premises." If you run ahead of them at the opening bell better cover up and bring your iodine because you'll be pelted. Bird shot hitting your neck at 125 yards is affirming; much closer you wonder.

And if they don't bag out by 7 am, in time to get back to make the cole slaw, expect to see them in groups of 7 or more shooting into the air for fun. "We brought those bullets!! We're gonna shoot 'em!!"

Apologies in advance to our Hellenic readers. My tribe would be much, much worse.

They ware gold chains with chest hair sticking out of their half buttoned shirts as well. Yeah I know exactly whom of which you speak. My brush pants and vest have dirt stains on them from hitting the deck a few times. All my buddies wonder why they have to twist my arm to go bird hunting on state land. This is why.

Sad part for me is, most of my family probably hails from the same villages as their ancestors did. I can tell by the last names they call eachother by. I'm not a fan of hunting with Rocco, Rocco, and Antny either my friend.

Miss hunting in PA when I was a kid, up near pottstown....I miss me some venison

Edit: Good hunting spots in SJ if you know where to look.

What kind of bow are you using? cross?

Parker cyclone cross bow. And a Matthews Z7 compound. Depends on my mood that day. I hunt Zone9. Mrs. Deerslayer made a venison meatloaf last night. We don't buy meat from the grocery store except chicken on occasion, and bacon once in a while.

One of my stands.

f93ee8baac8ea72645c00275060aaa6b.jpg

Here's another on the same property.

5501a1c899a4a11d45ba1057fe9ba337.jpg

Here's a peach glazed duck I killed on Lk Hopatcong.

9daed5a20c8020b5de629fa8155985d5.jpg

Around my stands.

ab201562bf53f09b5f0e5569d3ad2362.jpg

I turn this

45e1d06444202f9f65115288b316b132.jpg

Into some banging chili!

119f02a5442c784912674a795a82f417.jpg

Jerkey in the smoker.

4c7aacbc8af56c5dd6d2d6c08c4ed4f3.jpg

I smoke these too! Can't eat deer every day.

0aaecb2666f53b6db53c15a3365ba3b3.jpg

And once in a while when I feel like living dangerously on state land, we eat this.

ad088ec91aadb027ecc1ba6735a7a208.jpg

I take organic to a whole-nutta-level lol...

Parker cyclone cross bow. And a Matthews Z7 compound. Depends on my mood that day. I hunt Zone9. Mrs. Deerslayer made a venison meatloaf last night. We don't buy meat from the grocery store except chicken on occasion, and bacon once in a while. One of my stands. f93ee8baac8ea72645c00275060aaa6b.jpg Here's another on the same property. 5501a1c899a4a11d45ba1057fe9ba337.jpg Here's a peach glazed duck I killed on Lk Hopatcong. 9daed5a20c8020b5de629fa8155985d5.jpg Around my stands. ab201562bf53f09b5f0e5569d3ad2362.jpg I turn this 45e1d06444202f9f65115288b316b132.jpg Into some banging chili! 119f02a5442c784912674a795a82f417.jpg Jerkey in the smoker. 4c7aacbc8af56c5dd6d2d6c08c4ed4f3.jpg I smoke these too! Can't eat deer every day. 0aaecb2666f53b6db53c15a3365ba3b3.jpg And once in a while when I feel like living dangerously on state land, we eat this. ad088ec91aadb027ecc1ba6735a7a208.jpg I take organic to a whole-nutta-level lol...

That chili looks damn good! and that duck looks delicious!

Great pics :)